Turbo Power

bcss
bcss Posts: 174
Just bought a turbo (magnetic) and wanted to perform a FTP test based on the guidance in "training and racing with a power meter"....after warming up you are supposed to go 5min all out, 10 min at 65% FTP and then 100% FTP

However when it came to all out I was not able to even reach my FTP (based on a VO2max test performed at the beginning of the year) and also cycling at 65% FTP felt much tuffer than ie on the road

do you guys have similar experience with your turbo? Is there some set up that needs to be taken into account or are magnetic turbo's to be avoided and I shall exchange it for a fluid?

cheers

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Many people find riding on a turbo harder. As is often the case, Alex Simmons has a good article about it:

http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/2009/01/ ... ining.html

I heard an interview with Hunter Allen recently, where he said that FTP measured on the turbo could be as much as 30 Watts lower than out on the road. He said to measure your FTP indoors if you do the bulk of your training indoors. Or just build in the fact they will be slightly different.

Edit: The main thing you can address is cooling (well, also adaptation, just take a few rides to get used to it). Do you have a decent fan (at least 50 Watts)? This can make a big difference.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    edited August 2010
    I also find riding at my FTP (from road data) on the turbo much harder than on the road.
    More problems but still living....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There was a huge difference when I first started training with power between turbo and road but you do, after a while, get closer and closer to your road ability...

I always tested on the turbo and did very specific sessions on the turbo.
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Well after my first turbo session (of the new winter training season)yesterday I've got a feeling that my ftp is higher on the turbo. Reasons: I find it much easier to pace, much easier to concentrate and loud music and youtube is very motivational (much better than staring at a d/c for a hour.)
  • Magnetic resistance units are evil.

I used to struggle just to maintain an entire power level below that intended when using a mag unit.

HR response indoors is often different to outdoors.