edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Do such things exist?

Or not?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Do such things exist?

Or not?

if you are asking what i think then the answer is yes.

but .. what are you looking for?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ooooh mysterious... are you thinking what I'm thinking? ;)

Basically, a pedal with a recessed cleat that goes on an MTB shoe, not a road 3-hole one is what I mean by SPD-esque.

So those, with float!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Don't standard SPDs have float? I'm pretty sure mine turn a reasonable arc before unclipping.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Crank Bros Quattro, made for the road but robust for XC Mtb.
    I asked em by email, the nice lady there replied, Yes!

OR...Time Atac or the Z with the flatty type platform.
    Z type a bit chunky for XC, better for Freeriding -whatever that is - or DH.

Normal Time Atacs are very good, on my 3rd pair. Older 2 pairs still usable as well.
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    If you're after what I'm after . . . Speedplay Zeroes, just SPD esque ??

Would be nice.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Crank Brothers pedals like Eggbeaters ect.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... s/list.htm

First thing I noticed when moving from SPDs was how much more float they have, but after the float they also seem a little harder to unclip, which for me was a advantage.

Only thing that lets them down is the cleats wear out quite quickly, you may have to buy replacements every six months.
  • nicklouse
    Ok keeping mysterious , so sideways float rather than rotational float?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse wrote:

:lol:

Ummmm, my main requirement is for rotational float, actually. Sideways float would be nice too.
  • Splottboy wrote:
    Crank Bros Quattro, made for the road but robust for XC Mtb.
    I asked em by email, the nice lady there replied, Yes!

OR...Time Atac or the Z with the flatty type platform.
    Z type a bit chunky for XC, better for Freeriding -whatever that is - or DH.

Normal Time Atacs are very good, on my 3rd pair. Older 2 pairs still usable as well.

'tain't for MTB-ing...

I can't find the crank bros quattro on wiggle - and on winstanley's they're £175... that might be a bit steep for a commuter fixie!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    A mate of mine uses Time Atac pedals and swears by them because they allow a fair bit of float.

mtb style cleat...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • The Time ones with the flat platform bit look quite good - I've currently got one-sided SPDs as I often have to cycle to meetings in normal shoes.

Do they have float too? And how much? And are they one-sided or two-sided?

@HamishD, yes, that's exactly what I'm after!
  • Another vote for Time ATACs here.

I don't ride with them in London, but when I'm cruising around the countryside I think they're awesome. Loads of float, and no problems with unclipping either.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse wrote:

Ummmm, my main requirement is for rotational float, actually. Sideways float would be nice too.

any SPD or SPD copy has rotational float.

what are you looking for that is different to your current SPDs?
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    edited August 2010
    LiT hold off, dont buy anything yet. Speedplay are going to be releasing some new MTB/Touring pedals which will do exactly what you want. i'll try and find the article i read on them

here you go
    http://www.bikerumor.com/2009/09/29/int ... ike-pedal/
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    In case you didn't know, the floatability of SPDs (and some other systems) is dependent on your choice of cleat. So you may be able to increase your float just by changing cleats.

Some SPD cleats also seem to have more release modes than others; I can't really get my head round that...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

any SPD or SPD copy has rotational float.

what are you looking for that is different to your current SPDs?

Well, my current SPDs don't seem to have rotational float at all, or if they do it's nowhere near enough.

I'm on these
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    LiT hold off, dont buy anything yet. Speedplay are going to be releasing some new MTB/Touring pedals which will do exactly what you want. i'll try and find the article i read on them

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh interesting!
  • spasypaddy
    ive edited my previous post didnt realise you posted so quickly so heres the link
    http://www.bikerumor.com/2009/09/29/int ... ike-pedal/
  • TGOTB wrote:
    In case you didn't know, the floatability of SPDs (and some other systems) is dependent on your choice of cleat. So you may be able to increase your float just by changing cleats.

Some SPD cleats also seem to have more release modes than others; I can't really get my head round that...

OK..... weird! So which give the most float d'you reckon? The single realease or multi-release?
  • tgotb
    TGOTB wrote:

OK..... weird! So which give the most float d'you reckon? The single realease or multi-release?
    Hmmm, I don't know. The description tab on here gives a very brief explanation of release modes: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shima ... 000000886/

But I'm afraid I don't know which ones give more float...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I've got some spare cleats (SM-SH51) you can try. They cam with a set of A530s, which I've since given to a friend

Edit: could it be the cage is stopping the shoe moving as you'd like?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    I've got some spare cleats (SM-SH51) you can try. They cam with a set of A530s, which I've since given to a friend

I'm currently using 51s, just checked! I may have a little look and see whether I've been using different ones in the past - I rather thought cleats were cleats were cleats as far as float, although I was aware that some were single release and some were multi.

I'm really good at this procrastination lark.
  • spasypaddy
    SPDs dont really have float so to speak, but a worn cleat.

have a look at that link ive posted up and hold off
  • tgotb
    Just found these:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shima ... 000000887/

They also come with weird rubber bits, but there's a definite float/no float option.

Mine are super floaty, I'll have a look at lunchtime and see what they are; may have a spare set knocking around too...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • UndercoverElephant
    UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
    edited August 2010
    SPD pedals can either have no float, or a float of 8 degrees. The floating ones also slightly self-centre, and the zero-point always points straight ahead, meaning that you really can only use them if your knees will allow it.

The Speedplay ones seem to have the same, 8 degree float or fixed options, but you can set the zero point to whatever your knee finds most comfortable.
  • nicklouse

OK..... weird! So which give the most float d'you reckon? The single release or multi-release?

well i have always run multi and have had float on all three different sets SPD pedals.

maybe your cleats are set to one side which is hiding any float? IE all the float is in the other direction.

I do Know there have been great debates over the years on the SPD float/no float issue. and i am in the they have float camp.
  • tgotb
    SPD pedals can either have no float, or a float of 8 degrees. The floating ones also slightly self-centre, and the zero-point always points straight ahead, meaning that you really can only use them if your knees will allow it.

The Speedplay ones seem to have the same, 8 degree float or fixed options, but you can set the zero point to whatever your knee finds most comfortable.
    Surely the zero point of SPDs can be adjusted by rotating the cleat?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Mmm those Speedplays look an interesting proposition. Be nice to rid my Kinesis of its only Shimano components.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    A lot of you are confusing SPD-SL road pedals with SPD's. SPD's are the shimano mountain bike pedal, they all have float of (i think) about 4 degrees. There are multiple relase types but these don't give you extra float, they just allow you to bascially yank your foot out easier - not good for fixie riding I wouldn't have thought.

If you want MTB pedals (i.e. recessed cleat) and you want more float than shimano then you want either Time (7 degrees) or Crank Bros.(6 degrees)

Crank Bros Egg Beaters - £44.99
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=13051
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur