Chamois cream/riding commando with padded shorts

Bacteria Man
Bacteria Man Posts: 61
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
I have heard talk of long rides being made easier by riding commando with chamois cream on the nether regions and seat pad in the shorts. I have always envisioned it as a pretty disgusting gungey mess down there after a ride, and as a man I have to say that surely the separation provided by underwear is needed to combat friction-induced nut roasting. Can anyone offer their wisdom on this subject?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    Underwear significantly increases 'friction-induced nut roasting'. Really. Wear them commando or not at all. Chamois cream is nice, but not essential.
  • Have to admit my ride home this morning was rather uncomfortable in the trouser department (wearing boxers). I will give this commando business a go when I ride in tonight. Stay tuned to hear the exciting conclusion...

I'll hold-off the chamois cream for the time being; my commute is only about 8 miles. Might give it a go on a charity bike ride in the future.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    whyamihere wrote:
    Underwear significantly increases 'friction-induced nut roasting'. Really. Wear them commando or not at all. Chamois cream is nice, but not essential.

WAIH speaks the truth. Sudocrem is awesome stuff.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    What they said.

Does your screen name hint at an added dimension to the problem? :shock:
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • I like to dust the inside of my shorts and nether regions with a little talc before a big ride. No underpants or boxers required.

Seems to do the job!
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Underpants plus cycling shorts is a big no no. Most decent pads have antibacterial properties as well. I shudder to think about the consequences of a long ride sans pad and with underwear. mmmmm chafey.

Udderly Smooth is the, er, nuts
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I have heard talk of long rides being made easier by riding commando with chamois cream on the nether regions and seat pad in the shorts. I have always envisioned it as a pretty disgusting gungey mess down there after a ride, and as a man I have to say that surely the separation provided by underwear is needed to combat friction-induced nut roasting. Can anyone offer their wisdom on this subject?
    Some swear by Assois creme, I find either Savlon or Sudocreme is fine but is only necessary for longer rides and even then not vital - I did the Dunwich Dynamo the other week (120 miles) without any and suffered no ill-effects at all.

Whichever you use it doesn't become a mess of any kind - it dissolves into the skin, into thin air, up the jacksy maybe, but there's never any evidence of it after 6 hours + in the saddle.

Underwear is a complete no-no - padded shorts are meant to be worn commando and don't work properly if pants are introduced into the equation.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I use chamois cream - even on my 1 hour commute - without it I develop saddle sores...

Eurostyle Chamois Butt'r if you are interested.....
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    I solved saddle sores by changing the saddle.

Swapped a Selle Italia Filante for a Selle Italia Flite Gel

It was either that or change my undercarriage...
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I use Udderly SMOOth.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • invincible
    invincible Posts: 154
    i use assos chamois cream for every ride, gives you a little tingle & just seems weird without it, usually just apply to pad though....
  • Greg T
    invincible wrote:
    usually just apply to pad though....

You are missing out

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    What does it do exactly this Chamois cream, I've never used it and never had a problem, I think....

I even rode 63 miles in my non-padded tights and apart from the lining of the tights eventually rubbing me raw after 40/50 miles (wouldn't have happened with a pad) things weren't that bad.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    What does it do exactly this Chamois cream, I've never used it and never had a problem, I think....

I even rode 63 miles in my non-padded tights and apart from the lining of the tights eventually rubbing me raw after 40/50 miles (wouldn't have happened with a pad) things weren't that bad.

Think about Greg... think about his hygiene and lyrca... that's why some use it.

I've bought some but not opened it yet.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I slapped a load of Savlon on last year when I di my first century in years, mainly because when I asked for advice on doing it that kept cropping up - use cream. I've not bothered since and don't notice it tbh. The only near benefit was when I was half-tempted to ask the foxy minx of a waitress at the restaurant where I stopped for lunch halfway to slap a load more on for me, but luckily I bottled it. :wink:
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Decent shorts are carfully designed to have no raised seams and a pad that contours perfectly to you ar$e and then you go and put a pair of boxers under them!!

I use Assos cream on longer rides and multi day rides, it improves the hygiene and has a nice cooling effect (be careful of using it in the winter though, it can be a little too cooling!).

I too find applying directly and vigorously to the skin much more enjoyable.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Don't use underwear as others said.

As for cream? some need it, some don't,I don't.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I have incredibly sensitive skin (eczema sufferer), so I just need a little extra help in stopping irritation, even with a good pad. The cream gives this extra help.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    CiB wrote:
    Some swear by Assois creme

Nice work making Assos even more pretentious :)

More than 10 miles with underwear and you're into second layer of underskin territory. Ouchy. Good pads are SO comfy relatively speaking.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    biondino wrote:
    CiB wrote:

More than 10 miles with underwear and you're into second layer of underskin territory. Ouchy. Good pads are SO comfy relatively speaking.

but I never ever do. I commute >12 miles each way and have done 60+ miles with kecks on - and never chafed even a little
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Greg T
    I commute >12 miles each way and have done 60+ miles with kecks on - and never chafed even a little

Perhaps you don't fill out your shorts in quite the way I do?

I'm chafing just sat here

• biondino wrote:
    CiB wrote:

but I never ever do. I commute >12 miles each way and have done 60+ miles with kecks on - and never chafed even a little

Same situation here. I do not know what the fuss is about wearing underwear under bib shorts/tights.

I wear tight fitting trunk boxer shorts and have not had a problem yet. Only risk of chaffing is from the leg seem rising up and rubbing between hip and thigh.

Also, how do you keep his royal highness warm without the extra layer? His royal highness starts playing hide and seek once the temperature gets below the teens.

I can see how you get chafing from normal boxer shorts but not from the skin fitting ones.
  • I have given it a go and found it to be a wholly liberating experience. Much more comfortable and the breeze feels good (well at first I made this face when I got up to speed :shock: )

I still crave the aforementioned 'seperation' provided by undies though. I wish some bike shorts maker would include a mesh inner or something. I may attemt a transplant from my boardies to the cycling shorts.

Now, onto chamois cream. It may not be necessary for the length of my commute, but I might try it anyway because I do sometimes get the odd arse spot, which can be really painful if it resides in the sadle area, and it usually does. This implies that it's probably caused by cycling and I hear that chamois cream is antibacterial. Anyone used it for this reason?

Apologies if my entries on this thread put readers off their dinner
  • Chaois cream is the nuts (if you'll excuse the poor pun).

If you crave separation, I'm fairly sure that if you were to root around wiggle long enough, you would find in the ladies section a padded undergarment that will convert (after a fashion) any regular item of trouser wear Into biking nirvana.

So, there it is. If you want separation, become a cross-dresser.

How's that craving working out for you now? :wink:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • I don't know if I can look my colleagues in the eye as I walk in wearing padded ladies underwear...
  • I don't know if I can look my colleagues in the eye as I walk in wearing padded ladies underwear...

Well, let me help with that.

If you can, there is something seriously wrong with you.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Commando with cycling shorts always!!!!!!:

Reasons why you should not pant up under lycra shorts:

1, VPL - visible panty line

2, comfort of undergarment under tight shorts - always get creases, limited underwear options

3, Too hot

4, Everyone will laugh at you

5, Would you want to wash chamois creme out of shorts and underpants?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Same situation here. I do not know what the fuss is about wearing underwear under bib shorts/tights.

I wear tight fitting trunk boxer shorts and have not had a problem yet. Only risk of chaffing is from the leg seem rising up and rubbing between hip and thigh.

Also, how do you keep his royal highness warm without the extra layer? His royal highness starts playing hide and seek once the temperature gets below the teens.

The fuss is about going against the explicit design and intention of the garment. It's like wearing Y-fronts under boxer shorts. Pointless.

Wearing shorts without underwear is more comfortable than wearing shorts with underwear. End of.

Also, isn't shrinkage in that dept a good think for those worried about the modesty angle?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Wearing underwear and lycra is uncomfortable when cycling and frankly unhygenic.

Let me lay it out for you. When cycling you sweat. You wear lycra because it absorbs sweat from the body there by keeping you cool and relatively clean (antibacterial pad). Evolution designed the testies to hang outside the body to keep then cool (because internally would be too hot). So the one place I want to make sure is cool and clean is that area. Hence another reason to go commando.

Basically I don't want my genitals to suffer an environment akin to a sweat filled suana of bacteria, sweat and bad smells.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Wearing underwear and lycra is uncomfortable when cycling and frankly unhygenic.

Let me lay it out for you. When cycling you sweat. You wear lycra because it absorbs sweat from the body there by keeping you cool and relatively clean (antibacterial pad). Evolution designed the testies to hang outside the body to keep then cool (because internally would be too hot). So the one place I want to make sure is cool and clean is that area. Hence another reason to go commando.

Basically I don't want my genitals to suffer an environment akin to a sweat filled suana of bacteria, sweat and bad smells until I get to work.

heh
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14