Does anyone here bike with their dogs?

Raphe
Raphe Posts: 48
edited August 2010 in MTB general
Normally when I take the dogs it’s when we have driven somewhere like a forest track so they only go on the leads when we meet other people or have to pass farm animals. I stop with them or push the bike until it’s safe to let them off again.

I’ve been thinking about how to cycle with them on the leads so I can take them more places. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

I did see this thing http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4.php?16937 but I’m really not sure.

Cheers

Comments

• Depends on the dogs I guess. We have a young staff/collie cross, and he's very excitable! More than eager to pull you up hills, which is a bonus, but also more than eager to pull you off the bike if he spots a pheasant.. Needless to say, he gets taken to the quietest of spots.

I suppose the ideal solution would be to socialize the dog more, until it's almost immune to people, but not always the most viable.
  • cant be doing that, think me and my bikes abit much for a spaniel to be pulling :p
  • I would be better with a harness for my doberman

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    I saw a guy doing the Brechfa Red route with his dog, it looked like it enjoyed the berms and stuff :lol:

Saying that, I also saw a woman with a goat on the same day :shock:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Raphe
    They are pretty good as rule and only pull occasionally when another dog has a growl at them. Only problem is one is a staffie/collie cross and the other is a 13 stone Great Dane so if they do go off while attached to the bike it could get messy.
  • thel33ter wrote:
    a woman

I'd like to have a go on her!
    thel33ter wrote:
    a goat

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    thel33ter wrote:
    a woman

thel33ter wrote:
    a goat

woman-kissing-goat.jpg

:shock: :lol:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • thel33ter wrote:
    woman-kissing-goat.jpg

:shock: :lol:

As I said, I'd like to have a go on both of them.

Getting back on topic though, there's a guy round here who takes his Weimarener out with him. The thing is like a machine, just keeps going, and at some pace too! seems to really enjoy it. Stunning looking animal too. I'd like to have a go on it.
  • nick1962
    nick1962 Posts: 156
    All the time and we drink together too......
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    My mum keeps trying to get me to, but I know for a fact I'll end up off the bike within about 30 seconds of leaving the house.
  • Raphe wrote:
    They are pretty good as rule and only pull occasionally when another dog has a growl at them. Only problem is one is a staffie/collie cross and the other is a 13 stone Great Dane so if they do go off while attached to the bike it could get messy.

Good lord, you have the same kind of inexhaustible freak that we do :wink:

Personally I'm not sure attaching them to the bike is a good idea. It could end badly. I just hold the lead and let him get on with it. Of course that means riding one handed (whatever you do, don't keep your hand gripped to the bars holding the lead..), so black routes are out! At least that way you still have some control and can always let go if they go barmy. tbh, I'm more worried about him running into the bike!
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Got 3 dogs and HAVE ridden with them, but they are too slow.

Also, they get in front of the wheels.

Did 3 hr mountain walk Sunday with em, and they never chased a sheep...much.

Would only take em on basically almost totally deserted trails, so Marin and CYB out.

But they got to have the ability to come back when called.
  • Bignige
    Bignige Posts: 223
    cant be doing that, think me and my bikes abit much for a spaniel to be pulling :p

Wish you could tell my two Spaniels that :D
    Ride it like you stole it.........Yeah Baby!!!

2008 Spesh Enduro SL Expert
    2010 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 Ltd Edition
  • chrisga
    chrisga Posts: 587
    Funny this thread should pop up.
    We had stage 1 trail hound training session last night. Was quite successful:

4881017809_a4e270c534.jpg

We got an English Springer puppy 4 weeks ago. We have been keen as mustard to get her doing new things so as soon as her injections kicked in we have been out and about training and introducing her to as many things as possible. She already loves her walks, on and off lead so this was the next logical step.

We drove to some local hills with big open spaces near us. Unloaded the bikes and rode for a few minutes with Jess (the new pup) on her lead next to us. She was good as gold. So the lead came off. And she wa snever more than 6ft away from us, usually to the side. Had a couple of moments when we were stopping and she didnt realise and got in front of us so need to discourage her from that, but other than that the 20mins we did last night was a good base to work from.

The whole idea is that Jess, the pup will come with us on mtb rides. So if in the future you see a springer arrive, followed about an hour later by two knackered people on a scott scale and an enduro say hi!

For anyone interested photos of Jess are here charting her development from tiny puppy to full on trail hound!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98882529@N00/sets/72157624458948314/
  • ive got an Australian Cattle Dog, (dog from the mad max movies) and she is super hardcore, can keep up with anything a trail throws at her..ideal :D
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    no because we got my dog when he was 7 (he's 10 now) and so I still don't know whether or not he might just go off on his own and I would not necessarily be in a position to get him under control.

He's very well behaved and if I had had him as a puppy I may feel differently but as it is I prefer to be on foot with him doing lots of recall (which he loves as he gets biscuits)
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Six dogs lashed together, length of Bungee, really long stick with a T - Bone on it...

The Ultimate "Freeride" ?
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    We've done a lap of Brechfa red with my mates Beagle, was awesome! He was certainly quick enough! Gave me about 5 min head start and one fast section and he just about caught me at the end. was mental coming around Brechfa's fast berms, looking back at Max in full attack mode pre-jumping the tabletops and nailing the berms. It was like he was designed to hit single track as he'd never been before

We might have been who thel33tersaw.

Also saw a Collie coming down Les Gets 1 once at full speed chasing his owner.

They both seemed to be bloody loving it.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Bloody hell :shock:

I find the Brechfa red terrifying enough, god knows how the doggies can cope with it!!! Also quite tragic that a Beagle is a more highly tuned berm-riding machine than me on my bike :oops:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Pork Sword
    Pork Sword Posts: 213
    I can't stand people who ride with their dogs to be honest. I think it's completely reckless and not only do they put themselves and their over-enthusiastic (but completely unsuited for the task) dogs at risk but also any other trail/path users!

You should all either hang; up your wheels; dog lead/s or head/s in shame.

Bloody stupid tossers!
    let all your saddles be comfy and all your rides less bumpy....
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Pork Sword wrote:
    I can't stand people who ride with their dogs to be honest. I think it's completely reckless and not only do they put themselves and their over-enthusiastic (but completely unsuited for the task) dogs at risk but also any other trail/path users!

Bloody stupid tossers!

"completely unsuited for the task dogs" Ha ha, have you ever seen a dog run? they easily outpace humans off-road even on bikes and their reactions are far quicker than ours. They're genetically perfect for running along singletrack.
  • mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    Cycling with dogs is like many of the topics that get discussed- great when it works and hell for all involved when it doesnt!

A well trained dog on the right trail= bliss- and is a technique Husky owners often use when training their dogs.

A badly behaved dog on the red route in Haldon Forest....... Mutter mutter (very near miss for me!)

The one I hate to see is people out for a long ride, who havent noticed their dog is totally knackered!- so if you take a small dog out, fit a basket on the bike to give it a ride home!!
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    edited August 2010
    was going to start a thread on this very subject myself

as a dog owner (2 springers) i can see the appeal of riding with your dogs (although i dont ride with ours as theyre pretty nuts and would be a liability on the trails) but i do think it can be disrespectful towards and potentially dangerous to other riders

depends on the trail i guess - maybe taking dogs with you on some 'back country' routes would be OK but not sure about walking your dog on an orange graded bike park run at a trail centre where you can guarantee riders are going to be pushing as hard as they can round berms and over jumps etc - if i hadnt been looking a couple of switchbacks ahead this could have been dangerous rather than just irritating ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiSLOq8GGck

slainte :shock: rob
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    My dog is too stupid... If I try to run with her she runs in front of me... If I cycled she would do the same.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Raphe
    One of the advantages of living in the arse end of nowhere is that I rarely see anyone else on the mixed use trails I ride. It is especially nice given that there are wanks like Pork Sword about.

Although mine are well trained I still put them on the lead when I spot people because then everyone knows they are fully under control. Generally when I do this people say thanks and come over for a chat and to pet the dogs and everyone goes away happy.

I’ve once had someone complain about my dogs on a trail when they accused me of not picking up dog shite. I went into my dog’s rucksack (sad I know, but they can carry their own damn stuff) and fished out a bag with massive steamer from the Great Dane and tried to hand it to them as evidence.
  • Pork Sword
    Raphe wrote:
    One of the advantages of living in the ars* end of nowhere is that I rarely see anyone else on the mixed use trails I ride. It is especially nice given that there are wanks like Pork Sword about.

Although mine are well trained I still put them on the lead when I spot people because then everyone knows they are fully under control. Generally when I do this people say thanks and come over for a chat and to pet the dogs and everyone goes away happy.

I’ve once had someone complain about my dogs on a trail when they accused me of not picking up dog shite. I went into my dog’s rucksack (sad I know, but they can carry their own damn stuff) and fished out a bag with massive steamer from the Great Dane and tried to hand it to them as evidence.

Mate... you're a tw@t! You probably smear dog meat on your meat and let your dogs lick it off too... but what can you expect from a Jock?
  • Pork Sword
    P-Jay wrote:
    Pork Sword wrote:

Bloody stupid tossers!

"completely unsuited for the task dogs" Ha ha, have you ever seen a dog run? they easily outpace humans off-road even on bikes and their reactions are far quicker than ours. They're genetically perfect for running along singletrack.

Some dogs may be good runners but, like you, they are also dumb barstewards and will probably end up under your wheels... hope it hurts when it happens (for you that is!). I give up! The human race really is dumbing down...
  • Raphe
    Thanks for proving my point about you being a wanker.
  • Pork Sword
    edited August 2010
    Raphe wrote:
    Thanks for proving my point about you being a wanker.

Surprised you can even spell it you Mutt! Did you use spellchecker? :cry:
  • Ive been out with my lab a couple of times, he an manage the black(for what its worth) run at thetford but then hes pretty knackered- the main issue seems to be with water on rides- hes not exactly built for speed so gets pretty hot at times and theres not always water to be had tried a travel bowl but its not enough for him to swim in !

Pork Sword- he seems like a nice chap doesnt he.