Sky Squad For The Vuelta

2»

Comments

• pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    William H wrote:
    I feel bad for Russ, hopefully next year his contract will be re newed and he gets his chance.

Or he moves to another team which will give him the chance.

It's a shame about Russ - especially after such a good result in Wallonee.

He's done well - proved that he can compete at this level, which was what he needed to prove (to himself, as much as others) first and foremost. If Sky overlook him next season, then I would like to think he would get a ride on another ProTour/Continental team for 2011.

There are other riders in the Sky squad who've been completely and utterly anonymous throughout 2010.

Yep - Nordhaug is one of 'em!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Just for the record, to back up what you guys are saying:

Sky has 19 wins.

Downing has 3 of those.

The man, EBH, has 6. If he (and Sky) is riding Eneco then you can add a couple more maybe.

This Nordhaug guy - wtf.

Lovkvist - could top ten.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Wins is a terrible measure, especially as Nordhaug has spent the entire year riding for others.

Nordhaug has been one of their better riders this year. He's been one of the few guys who has shown anything when roads go uphill, and was quite possibly their strongest rider in the Ardennes. Just last week in the deciding stage in Poland he came in with the elite group of Martin, Szmyd, Ballan etc.

The real injustice would have been if Nordhaug wasn't selected.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    This is a discussion forum. If someone posts a topic and numerous people respond with their various opinions then that surely justifies the posting of the original topic. If you don't like it don't click on it.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    It's also worth considering that the Tour of Britain is important to Sky and they will want to win it with a British rider. In the absence of Swift, who was always going to do the Vuelta, Downing's probably their best bet.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Sky presumably had some younger riders earmarked for the Vuelta from the start of the season (i.e the likes of Stannard and Kennaugh). That leaves a handful of places. Given their current abysmal Pro Tour ranking they are now in a situation where they need to chase points. I'm guessing this is one of the reasons for Bradley apparently being on the start list for the Eneco Tour now.

Looking at the Vuelta line-up I think it looks good. A nice mix of talent and potential.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    DaveyL wrote:
    I have interest in EBH. I have no particular interest in Sky. They are not mutually exclusive.

Check the sig, EBH still there and will be next year. Sky have hampered him, lol.

You should cut Sky some slack, Frenchie. They're even newer to the sport than you!

He is not so disinterested in Sky that is stops him being the biggest contributor to this thread to date in terms of number of posts.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RichN95 wrote:
    It's also worth considering that the Tour of Britain is important to Sky and they will want to win it with a British rider. In the absence of Swift, who was always going to do the Vuelta, Downing's probably their best bet.

Wiggins?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Wiggins?

Not if the race is anything like last year's, with every stage finishing in a bunch sprint.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Wiggins?

Not if the race is anything like last year's, with every stage finishing in a bunch sprint.

It isn't :D

Strava is not Zen.
  • RichN95.
    calvjones wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Isn't it? I know Constitution Hill is on the menu, but it's hardly the Tourmalet. Without a time trial, I can't see how Wiggins would win.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    calvjones wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Isn't it? I know Constitution Hill is on the menu, but it's hardly the Tourmalet. Without a time trial, I can't see how Wiggins would win.

Man up a bit and learn how to properly "koers". Attack here? Shake the tree there? Break it up.

Sky should have the firepower necessary to make it a tough race to favour their stronger riders.

Beyond the Giro prolouge, and a break that was brought back early in the Pyrenees, all Wiggins seems to do is sit in the peleton and get shelled out the back with 4 km to go. He's got the talent to be useful in this tour of Britain, and he should be good enough to get into overall winning positions.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    We'll see. I think Wiggo's probably burned out and is probably looking forward to a beer or three, if he hasn't already started unwinding. The race isn't suited towards a rider like him, it's usually won by a random type who gets lucky during one of the stages. Russ Downing is a much better shot.
  • rick_chasey
    Kléber wrote:
    We'll see. I think Wiggo's probably burned out and is probably looking forward to a beer or three, if he hasn't already started unwinding. The race isn't suited towards a rider like him, it's usually won by a random type who gets lucky during one of the stages. Russ Downing is a much better shot.

Evans had a good go in the Tour Down Under.

Just give it a go!

Shake it up - make the race difficult. They've got the strongest riders anyway so that should suit them.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I wasn't suggesting Wiggo would win it, just pointing out there will be more splits this year. Downing is more likely, or would have been a shoo in for EBH.

Is wiggo riding the TT in Llandeilo on the 5th?

Strava is not Zen.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    I like the way people are suggesting Downing should look for another team. He's a talented rider and has been for a few years yet no Pro Tour team gave him a chance, Sky picked him up and have given him a few races that suited him and he has repaid them with some wins now he should leave and go to another team (which never previously showed him any interest) because he hasn't been picked for the Vuelta (where he may get lucky and win a stage) but has been put in the ToB where he could win several stages and the overall :?