Sky Squad For The Vuelta

Comments

• LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    I opened that link and though "Crikey, Gerrans has gone a bit thin on top. Bit chubby around the cheeks, too"

Perhaps its just me, but wouldn't an article about Gerrans and Löfkvist leading the Vuelta squad have a photo of said riders.? I can't recall many articles about Boonen leading off with a photo of Lefevre.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    No Possoni? He's been riding well been lately.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No EBH? I'd have thought he'd want training for the Worlds, and he's not going to the Tour of Britain
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    LangerDan wrote:
    I opened that link and though "Crikey, Gerrans has gone a bit thin on top. Bit chubby around the cheeks, too"

Perhaps its just me, but wouldn't an article about Gerrans and Löfkvist leading the Vuelta squad have a photo of said riders.? I can't recall many articles about Boonen leading off with a photo of Lefevre.

And Michael Barry appears to be morphing into Elvis Costello.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Snorebens
    Snorebens Posts: 759
    Didn't Sky say all their riders would do a GT this year? Downing, Arvesen and Calzati (off the top of my head) seem to have been overlooked...
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Great to see Kennaugh getting his first GT run out.
  • ruswilks
    ruswilks Posts: 72
    William H wrote:
    No EBH? I'd have thought he'd want training for the Worlds, and he's not going to the Tour of Britain

Leading the team at the new Protour events in Canada maybe?
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I'm also surprised about the lack of EBH, could have seen him bagging a couple of stages in preparation for the Worlds and Paris-Tours.

Will be interesting to see whether Kennaugh can live up to the hype that some have been spreading about him. Be nice to see him staying with Lofkvist for a while on the climbs.

Glad Lofkvist is getting a chance to prove himself over 3 weeks without having to wait for his team leader, can see him getting top 10 depending on the final line up of contenders.

Surprised to see Stannard in the line up, no offence to him but had him down as classics man rather than a Grand Tour rider, especially in such a hilly Vuelta. Though he did do extremely well to cling on for grim death for 3rd in the nationals.

Would like to see Flecha get a stage, simply because I like the guy.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    Seems to be a fairly strong squad. A decent balance between getting stage wins & getting folk experience.
    Be good to see Kennaugh given a run out in GTs as well. & Lofkvist might be a decent GT rider, especially with the decent climbing support.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    see whether Kennaugh can live up to the hype that some have been spreading about him.
    It would be even nicer to simply see him ride well, get some experience, and have nothing to live up to for the time being.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    see whether Kennaugh can live up to the hype that some have been spreading about him.
    It would be even nicer to simply see him ride well, get some experience, and have nothing to live up to for the time being.

+1. Let's give him till 2012 before we start judging.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    Surprised to see Stannard in the line up, no offence to him but had him down as classics man rather than a Grand Tour rider, especially in such a hilly Vuelta. Though he did do extremely well to cling on for grim death for 3rd in the nationals.

Most riders benefit enormously from riding a GT in the early part of their career, as it usually sees them gaining physical strength. In Stannard's case, this could stand him in good stead for the Classics next year.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Slowly, ever do slowly, Brailsford and SKY are doing my nut in.

As someone already said, how do release a team roster for a GT and include a picture of Kojak with funky shades on.

For the giro next year it'll be Brailsford mock riding the next generation HD gazaammoo 3D super whammy "Box".
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    So disappointed for Russ Downing though.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    pat1cp wrote:
    Slowly, ever do slowly, Brailsford and SKY are doing my nut in.

As someone already said, how do release a team roster for a GT and include a picture of Kojak with funky shades on.

Isnt this complaining about a web picture a bit of a nothing shot, a much ado about nothing kind of thing, given that i would imagine the web site side of the team is separate from the sporting side.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    No real surprise re: Downing as he' was named about two weeks back in the squad for the Tour of Britain ,which clashes with the last week of the Vuelta:

Bradley Wiggins
    Geraint Thomas
    Russ Downing
    Steve Cummings
    Matt Hayman
    Greg Henderson

I'd have thought he with Thomas would be Sky's main hopes for the GC in their home tour.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Downing's twitter just read-
    "Gutted!! What does @russdowning have to do to ride in a grand tour? 1st Tour of Ireland and tour de Wallonie winner. Come on @teamsky!"

I assume he was retweeteing someone but ran out of room!
  • I feel bad for Russ, hopefully next year his contract will be re newed and he gets his chance.
  • I feel bad for Russ, hopefully next year his contract will be re newed and he gets his chance.

Or he moves to another team which will give him the chance.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Should we start a thread for each team's squad? Just like this one. So Rabo's team for the Vuelta, Astana's team for the Vuelta....

These Sky lads create a lot of interest.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Seanos
    Seanos Posts: 301
    Should we start a thread for each team's squad? Just like this one. So Rabo's team for the Vuelta, Astana's team for the Vuelta....

I couldn't agree more. I've been giving this some thought and for the life of me I can't work out why there is more interest in Sky than, say, Xacobeo Galicia. :roll:
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Well, let's face it you both clicked on it and responded which is prima facie evidence there's some interest.

Shall we start a thread on Xacobeo's team and see how far it gets?

Strava is not Zen.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328

British based team in a create interest in a British forum shocker !
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Seanos
    Seanos Posts: 301
    calvjones wrote:
    Well, let's face it you both clicked on it and responded which is prima facie evidence there's some interest.

Shall we start a thread on Xacobeo's team and see how far it gets?

Sarcasm sar·casm (sär'kăz'əm)

A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
    A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.
    The use of sarcasm.
  • frenchfighter
    Sarcasm sar·casm (sär'kăz'əm)

The lowest form of wit
    9/10 times it doesn't work on a forum

:lol:

No interest from me for Sky.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

No interest from me for Sky.

Have you fallen out of love with Edvald since he's been Mr Average?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    I have interest in EBH. I have no particular interest in Sky. They are not mutually exclusive.

Check the sig, EBH still there and will be next year. Sky have hampered him, lol.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I have interest in EBH. I have no particular interest in Sky. They are not mutually exclusive.

Check the sig, EBH still there and will be next year. Sky have hampered him, lol.

You should cut Sky some slack, Frenchie. They're even newer to the sport than you!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    William H wrote:
    I feel bad for Russ, hopefully next year his contract will be re newed and he gets his chance.

Or he moves to another team which will give him the chance.

It's a shame about Russ - especially after such a good result in Wallonee.

He's done well - proved that he can compete at this level, which was what he needed to prove (to himself, as much as others) first and foremost. If Sky overlook him next season, then I would like to think he would get a ride on another ProTour/Continental team for 2011.

There are other riders in the Sky squad who've been completely and utterly anonymous throughout 2010.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Interesting that Nordhaug, who Downing beat comfortably to the Tour of Ireland last year gets the gig though. A little bit unfair that.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.