"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    cjcp wrote:
    Do tell...

Hopefully it will take us six and a bit days.... does that help? :wink:
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    mrc1 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Do tell...

RAAM?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    mrc1 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Do tell...

RAAM?

There's a lot of mental cases on this forum.

6.5 days? If that's the race, IIRC, a team from gearsandtears.com did a few years ago. There's a blog on the website maybe. The team leader - Ian Mayhew - is an ultra-Ironman finisher and develops training plans and stuff. All for mentalists like you. :)

Chapeau.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • mrc1
    cjcp wrote:
    mrc1 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Do tell...

RAAM?

There's a lot of mental cases on this forum.

6.5 days? If that's the race, IIRC, a team from gearsandtears.com did a few years ago. There's a blog on the website maybe. The team leader - Ian Mayhew - is an ultra-Ironman finisher and develops training plans and stuff. All for mentalists like you. :)

Chapeau.

You lot are good! 3005 miles between a team of 4 of us. We have a decent cast of ex ironman, triathlon, general endurance types with some good bike pedigree. 10 months of training awaits!

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • cjcp
    Fantastic.

More importantly, will do your ranking in SC Stats the world of good.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • mrc1
    cjcp wrote:
    Fantastic.

More importantly, will do your ranking in SC Stats the world of good.

Haha well if my planned move to Essex goes ahead it will be 70-75 miles of daily commuting ; )

Im not looking forward to some of the sleep deprivation training that we will need to do though. Having spoken to a few of the guys that did it last year it looks like the following is going to be a staple weekend workout towards the end:

Sat: Long ride in the morning. Afternoon off. 7pm 1 hour on the turbo. Bed at 10. Up at midnight for another hour on the turbo. Back to bed. 3am one hour on the turbo. back to bed. 6am - one hour on the turbo. Bed. Morning off then repeat.....

The girlfriend will love me.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • cjcp
    mrc1 wrote:
    Sat: Long ride in the morning. Afternoon off. 7pm 1 hour on the turbo. Bed at 10. Up at midnight for another hour on the turbo. Back to bed. 3am one hour on the turbo. back to bed. 6am - one hour on the turbo. Bed. Morning off then repeat.....

Are you out of your skull? :shock: :lol:

Will you have to be on the tri bars on the turbo to try to replicate having your head up all that time?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    JonGinge wrote:
    Yep, going off course is all part of time-trialling.
    Reason #54 why find TTs in the UK very, very strange.
  • mrc1
    cjcp wrote:
    mrc1 wrote:

Will you have to be on the tri bars on the turbo to try to replicate having your head up all that time?

Yep big time. There are some hilarious contraptions that solo Raam racers end up constructing to hold their heads up once their necks give up after a few days.

From what i have read and heard from others, injury proofing yourself is the most vital part of training.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • mrc1
    mrc1 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    mrc1 wrote:

Yep big time. There are some hilarious contraptions that solo Raam racers end up constructing to hold their heads up once their necks give up after a few days.

From what i have read and heard from others, injury proofing yourself is the most vital part of training.

This sounds rather like stating the obvious haha

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • tailwindhome
    edited August 2010
    Did I mention I did* a 10 mile time trial or has my 'thunder' been stolen

*well nearly did, lets not be pedantic

The RAAM attempt sounds like a massive undertaking. I hope you start a thread here/ blog to keep us up to date on your progress

There is a similar event in Ireland, cunningly named the Race Around Ireland which at 1350 miles is a sprint compared to RAAM. It was won last year by Joe Barr - the BBC made a documentary about it here. I post this link any time ultra cycling comes up in a thread, but I make no apologies for that, it really is an inspiring programme.

One of the posters to this forum, whose name escapes me now, was a crew member for a solo rider last year. If I remember his name I'll post it.

ETA How could I forget ChrisLS - the Godfather of SCR

This is a good article about the type of mentalist you are getting involved with

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/05/sport ... wanted=all
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    mrc1 wrote:
    Im not looking forward to some of the sleep deprivation training that we will need to do though.

Have kids = job done.
  • cjcp
    mrc1 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    mrc1 wrote:

Didn't the Brit solo rider have that problem recently? IIRC, it's a condition named after a rider from the early days of RAAM.

Do you have an idea of how long you each intend to ride for? Bagsy not me climbing the Rockies etc...
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • mrc1

*well nearly did, lets not be pedantic

The RAAM attempt sounds like a massive undertaking. I hope you start a thread here/ blog to keep us up to date on your progress

There is a similar event in Ireland, cunningly named the Race Around Ireland which at 1350 miles is a sprint compared to RAAM. It was won last year by Joe Barr - the BBC made a documentary about it here. I post this link any time ultra cycling comes up in a thread, but I make no apologies for that, it really is an inspiring programme.

One of the posters to this forum, whose name escapes me now, was a crew member for a solo rider last year. If I remember his name I'll post it.

ETA How could I forget ChrisLS - the Godfather of SCR

This is a good article about the type of mentalist you are getting involved with

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/05/sport ... wanted=all

Sorry didnt mean to hijack but got excited once we started the entry process!

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • mrc1
    cjcp wrote:
    mrc1 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    mrc1 wrote:

Didn't the Brit solo rider have that problem recently? IIRC, it's a condition named after a rider from the early days of RAAM.

Do you have an idea of how long you each intend to ride for? Bagsy not me climbing the Rockies etc...

He did yeah. Ended up with a plastic pipe arrangement!

It will all come out in training but most 4 mans seem to work off 4-5 hour shifts divided between two riders. So on shift you might be doing 10 mins on 10 mins off (in the rockies) or up to say 30 mins on 30 mins off on the flatter stuff. After five hours you go off shift and sleep/wash/eat etc.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • tailwindhome
    mrc1 wrote:

Only kidding

I look forward to reading more about your RAAM
  • cjcp
    mrc1 wrote:

Only kidding

I look forward to reading more about your RAAM

Unless Contador signs up to the forum, I think everyone's thunder has been stolen!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506

Thanks for posting that; a genuinely awe-inspiring programme.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • mrc1
    davis wrote:

+1 thanks for posting. Was an interesting programme. Don't much fancy the coastal wind and weather though - give me Mojave Desert anytime :lol: !!

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • cjcp
    mrc1 wrote:
    davis wrote:

+1 thanks for posting. Was an interesting programme. Don't much fancy the coastal wind and weather though - give me Mojave Desert anytime :lol: !!

I've driven through that place. It's ridiculously warm. The travel advice is to turn your A/C off so your engine doesn't overheat. There was this stretch of road which had even undulations for I don't know how long.

Aaaaaaanyway, good luck. :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • mrc1
    cjcp wrote:
    mrc1 wrote:
    davis wrote:

I've driven through that place. It's ridiculously warm. The travel advice is to turn your A/C off so your engine doesn't overheat. There was this stretch of road which had even undulations for I don't know how long.

Me too - we got a puncture and had to change a tyre which wasn't fun!

Did you get the honour of going to Baker and seeing the world's biggest thermometer :roll: ?

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • cjcp
    mrc1 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    mrc1 wrote:
    davis wrote:

Me too - we got a puncture and had to change a tyre which wasn't fun!

Did you get the honour of going to Baker and seeing the world's biggest thermometer :roll: ?

Ker-rist! Did the heat soften the tyres up badly?

No chance. Drove straight through from Death Valley to, um, Vegas, I think. Chapeau for riding through it!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    10 mile TT at Hillingdon last night. Colossal fun going round a small track at race speed (11 laps) though it may have been more enjoyable in retrospect than at the time :P
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    mrc1 wrote:
    3005 miles between a team of 4 of us

That's a long way. Best of luck!

One of my friends is currently riding the 1001 Miglia (1001 miles).

http://www.1001migliaitalia.it/riders/s ... 37&lang=en
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • mrc1
    Agent57 wrote:
    mrc1 wrote:
    3005 miles between a team of 4 of us

That's a long way. Best of luck!

One of my friends is currently riding the 1001 Miglia (1001 miles).

http://www.1001migliaitalia.it/riders/s ... 37&lang=en

That looks seriously tough but the course must be awesome! Some cracking views along the way!

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1