Silly Commuters..... Racing

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
You see what I did there.

What about a thread to discuss commuters taking part in proper races

Well Wednesday night should see me embark on my first time trial. A 16.75km circuit course organised by Ballymoney CC.

I will just be doing it on my Cannondale R600, with no Aero gear and have no expectations of coming any better than last place. It will be primarily to set a benchmark for next year.

Any tips?
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    edited August 2010
    Enjoy it! Well, as much as you can. The first few are a learning experience. Pacing is key, it's very easy to set off too fast.

Get a decent warmup in. Make sure you include a burst at approx your racing intensity. This preps the muscles/cv system for the effort to come.

As you're going for an athlete's TT don't worry too much about anyone else with all the gear.

Good luck
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Any tips?

Pain is failure leaving the body.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    What JG said.

If someone passes you early on, resist the temptation to go into the red and chase. When you reach the half-way mark, bury yourself. :twisted:

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Here's my latest foray:

http://www.londoncyclesport.com/index.p ... &Itemid=92

Warm up sounds like a good idea, but I'm not a morning person (especially after the week I had last week) so I did my usual trick of arriving at the start gate with 15 seconds to spare - at least the adrenaline was flowing!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Surprise package, eh? Chapeau!
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    MatHammond wrote:
    Me too (though I was a full minute slower than MatHammond, who modestly omits to mention that he made the podium).

Frustratingly, I still haven't managed to beat the PB I set at the first event (and my first ever race) back in June; this is despite riding what I felt was a better race...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    TGOTB wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:
    Me too (though I was a full minute slower than MatHammond, who modestly omits to mention that he made the podium).

Frustratingly, I still haven't managed to beat the PB I set at the first event (and my first ever race) back in June; this is despite riding what I felt was a better race...

I meant to ask you actually are you doing the BWC's in October?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    I rode my first time trial last week with no aero stuff or anything and was very pleased with my time. I came somewhere in the middle out of about 15 riders

I did have an advantage though as i have actually rode the course a few times and knew where to put the power and speed in and when not to bury myself.

Hopefully your spoke doesnt snap before the start like mine did :(
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Did you actually do the TT with a busted spoke? Whenever I've snapped a spoke, the wheel has gone way out of true and been almost unrideable, never mind racing.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Chapeau Matt!

Is this the route?
  • bigmat
    Chapeau Matt!

Is this the route?

Slightly different route:

http://www.cyclingtimetrials.co.uk/Link ... d&tabid=36

Start at line on road outside Robin Hood Gate car park, go anti-clockwise up Sawyers Hill and round to the roundabout at the bottom of Dark Hill, then go back the way you came, all the way round to the Robin Hood Gate roundabout, turn right up the hill into the middle and finish line is at the stop sign next to the car park where the road ends for cars. 10.4 miles in total.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    JonGinge wrote:
    Pacing is key, it's very easy to set off too fast.

Yeah, you don't want to "fly and die". That will probably yield a slower overall time than if you started at a more conservative pace and maintained it to the end.

But remember; it's a time trial. If it doesn't hurt and you don't hate it, you're not trying hard enough. ;)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I meant to ask you actually are you doing the BWC's in October?
    B****r! The answer was going to be yes, but just discovered that entries are already closed :-(
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • cjcp
    MatHammond wrote:
    Chapeau Matt!

Is this the route?

Slightly different route:

http://www.cyclingtimetrials.co.uk/Link ... d&tabid=36

Start at line on road outside Robin Hood Gate car park, go anti-clockwise up Sawyers Hill and round to the roundabout at the bottom of Dark Hill, then go back the way you came, all the way round to the Robin Hood Gate roundabout, turn right up the hill into the middle and finish line is at the stop sign next to the car park where the road ends for cars. 10.4 miles in total.

Cracking time, Mat. Not sure about the "surprise package" bit, mind: the writer ought to check out your 3LC time!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    What hat trick? :S
  • tailwindhome
    Well Wednesday night should see me embark on my first time trial. A 16.75km circuit course organised by Ballymoney CC.

Nervous doesn't even begin to describe how I'm feeling.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Preparations so far has been limited to not shaving this morning.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • cjcp

Good luck!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • bigmat

I hope that doesn't include your legs!
  • tailwindhome
    I don't want to talk about it
  • cjcp
    Yes you do.

I was a dribbling mess after my first 10 and had my @rse handed to me on a plate repeatedly. One guy flew by me and he was on the hoods, while I was on tri bars.

So, your turn now. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    I was also a mess after my first 10. My mate beat me by 2 minutes. That made me train harder. He never beat me again.

Doing TTs is great training for SCR ;)

Go on, go on.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • tailwindhome
    cjcp wrote:
    I was a dribbling mess after my first 10 and had my @rse handed to me on a plate repeatedly. One guy flew by me and he was on the hoods, while I was on tri bars.
    JonGinge wrote:
    I was also a mess after my first 10. My mate beat me by 2 minutes.

Yeah those are good stories. But let me ask you a question.

Either of you get lost on a 10 mile TT?

Suprisingly it's not quite as stupid as it sounds. Pull up a chair, I'll go back to the beginning.

When I arrived at the circuit I stopped to ask another rider where I could get parked. Turned out that he had just been knocked off his bike by a Smidsy and was waiting (with the moron driver) for the police. After double checking that he was alright I headed round to the car park just as the organisers arrived.

My entry was sorted out and I mentioned the Smidsy incident, obviously full of concern for their clubmate they headed out to assist him and I went for a warm up and to reccy the first couple of miles of the course, a useful exercise as it turned out as it was very up and down. Not your typical dragstrip.

As I arrived back at the start line the organiser gave me a shout that I was next up and had one minute. Just as well it was such a close call, I was starting to think better of the whole venture but this gave me a shot of adrenaline and I threw off the rain jacket and was away.

The first couple of miles were difficult as I never seemed to be able to settle in the right gear and several times found myself shifting between the front rings.

My unscheduled diversion happened at 6.6miles (of 10.5). Long story short, with the Smidsy incident the organisers hadn't put the normal signage, this route is also used for the club races and I mistakenly followed the signs stenciled on the road, took a wrong onto the other circuit.

After a couple of miles I began to think I gone the wrong way as I knew other riders should be coming past me. Then it all started to look a bit familiar and I knew I f*cked up.

A bit of farting about later I got back onto the right circuit and was pootling to the finish when the broomwagon arrived. Apparently everyone else had finished and they were a bit concerned about my absence.

Pity as I was really happy with how I was going, I have no computer on the bike but I reckon I was averaging about 18mph.

I was always going to finish last, that was never an issue but I reckon I would have broken 35 mins, poor by most standards but I would have been happy and I would have had a target for next time. The course is slightly more than the 10 miles, average times were about 4 mins slower than 'normal' 10 mile TT times

The winner BTW was local time trialing legend John Madden in 23-25mins. This guy is in his late 40's and only a couple of weeks ago recorded 20-23 for a 10miler.

Up to my navigational difficulties only 3 riders had come past me (Madden being one of them). While they comfortably rode away from me it wasn't ridculous. Madden however may as well have been on a moped. Awesome stuff.

The same circuit is run in a couple of weeks. I'll be back for another go. Canellara can sleep easy in his bed tonight.

*goes to browse for TT bikes

[/quote]
  • cjcp
    Excellent! You're not the first: there are two large roundabouts on our club's course - you turn back for the finish on the second. I'm sure I've heard of people taking an early turn on the first or taking the wrong "left" and wandering up a lane.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    Yep, going off course is all part of time-trialling. So, no worries.

In my first club they ran a summer TT league. I'd been pretty even with this guy from another club for the whole series: 15 seconds either way in each round. One time he was my minute man; he went off-course and rejoined just in front of me. A free minute in the league. :)

I, too, have been off-course. Was in a 25m TT on a course I wasn't familiar with. In the first few miles a car pulled out on me from a side-road and I locked the rear stopping from about 31mph. Wasn't happy and the driver got an earful. I was young and full of righteous rage and on a good time. The turn was on a mahoosive roundabout and I exited one too early. I knew immediately coz the marshal was shouting at me but it took a couple of minutes to get back. All chance of a good time gone I struggled to the finish. On the ride home my rear tub exploded. All in all not a good day.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I do all my 10s on a closed 1.5km circuit, so haven't managed to get lost yet. :D

But I've been lapped by guys 20 years older than me -- and I'm 41!
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    JF wrote:
    On the ride home my rear tub exploded. All in all not a good day.

LOL!!! Just imagine that bit of your post told in a really pessimistic voice.
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    I locked the rear stopping from about 31mph. Wasn't happy and the driver got an earful. I was young and full of righteous rage and on a good time. The turn was on a mahoosive roundabout and I exited one too early. I knew immediately coz the marshal was shouting at me but it took a couple of minutes to get back.

CarParachute_540x361.JPG
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    Yeah, it was something like that. The smoke was coming from the tyre while stopping and out of my ears afterwards ;)

The tub went bang miles from anywhere. I didn't have a spare only foam sealant: not much good for a 6inch rent in the tyre. I walked a lot that day :(
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Me and three others are on the cusp of entering one of the more epic races - just waiting for the formalities to go through..... then we begin one hell of a lot of training.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1