How friendly is this forum?

Jen J
Jen J Posts: 1,054
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
More specifically, would it welcome back a former friend after they’d abandoned you all following a loss of confidence last year? Because I think I’m ready to be a cyclist again…

Last summer, 6 months after the crash, and when I’d physically recovered, I did two RP rides, both with ‘babysitters’ – one with Blondie & co, one with a friend. Then I just stopped. I continued ‘commuting’ the one mile to work for a while, but was too scared to venture off that route and eventually figured it was a waste of time and I’d be better off walking. This spring I sold the Madone and figured I’d never get on a bike again, but kept the other two just in case.

Then I started horse-riding again, and stable yards don’t tend to be easily accessible by public transport. After a few weeks of spending hours walking, I bit the bullet, dusted off the Bowery for the first time in about 8 months, and cycled the 10 miles there. I was terrified, got lost twice, forgot that hills on a fixie can be hard work, but I got there.

Then next time I fixed the old road bike and rode that instead. That was two months ago and now I’m doing the 10 mile each way journey 2 or 3 times a week. I’m no longer completely terrified.

I’m not going to pick up the one mile commute again, but there may (note *may*) be a possibility of me working in the city soon, in which case I’d vary between running and cycling in, as I swore I’d never do the Northern line rush hour on a regular basis.

I may even venture back over to RP one day…

So can I come back to BR? I’m sorry for leaving you all, but I felt like a fraud being on here when I was too scared to go near a bike.

That’s my catch up anyway – care to sum up your last 18 months in one post? How are you all? I’m guessing there are loads of people here who are no longer new but I still don’t know…
Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
Madone

It's all about me...

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Yay! That is all :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Jen J
    Thank you :D

Think I need to change my signature... :cry:
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Yes we are friendly, I think I've joined since your accident, but welcome back anyway.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Welcome back Jen! Pull up a chair. I wouldn't worry about not cycling enough to post here. I suspect some of the folk on here never cycle they post so much :-o :-)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    Jen J wrote:
    More specifically, would it welcome back a former friend after they’d abandoned you all following a loss of confidence last year? Because I think I’m ready to be a cyclist again…

So can I come back to BR? I’m sorry for leaving you all, but I felt like a fraud being on here when I was too scared to go near a bike.

That’s my catch up anyway – care to sum up your last 18 months in one post? How are you all? I’m guessing there are loads of people here who are no longer new but I still don’t know…

Scary

I was about to start a new thread this afternoon,"Where did they go? MIA Posters" but thought better off it as something bad might have happened.

Your name was one of those I mentioned.

Welcome back!

Have you seen Sarajoy, Littigator or Attica anywhere?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jonginge
    Jen J wrote:

Welcome back. A bit of banter in the non-serious commuting forum will reassert that urge to N+1 :wink:
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Jen J
    Scary

I was about to start a new thread this afternoon,"Where did they go? MIA Posters" but thought better off it as something bad might have happened.

Your name was one of those I mentioned.

Welcome back!

Have you seen Sarajoy, Littigator or Attica anywhere?

Aww, thanks!

Sarajoy joined here post crash, so I never really knew her, Litts is firmly ensconced in South Africa and Attica is keeping busy...

I recognise your posts, but not your name - who did you used to be?
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Jen J
    JonGinge wrote:
    Jen J wrote:

Welcome back. A bit of banter in the non-serious commuting forum will reassert that urge to N+1 :wink:

Ha ha, yes I see I've rejoined you at a testing time...

Now is this the 'advice with a little fun' or 'fun with a little advice' forum...?

I haven't had a chance to catch up properly - who's still here? Who's not?
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Hi Jen!
  • Ahhhhhh, welcom back into the fold!

:D
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Hurrah! Welcome back, Jen. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Wait, weren't we supposed to be cliquey and exclusive?

I'm so confused.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Hear hear! Nice to see you back.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Jen J
    Aidy wrote:

I'm so confused.

Yeah, but it's ok, I know about Buns, about LiT's mammoth gears, and ITB's knees...

Thanks all, it's nice to be back, if a little strange. It's all the same as before, yet not.
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    Jen J wrote:
    I recognise your posts, but not your name - who did you used to be?

I was WheezyMcChubby but then my dad got very sick and the Wheezy didn't seem so whimsical anymore (We've never met in real life)

For anyone who hasn't encountered Jen J on the forum she likes to run sportive distances, if she starts commuting again and joins SC stats the rest can go home.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Jen J wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

I'm so confused.

Yeah, but it's ok, I know about Buns, about LiT's mammoth gears, and ITB's knees...
    You're way out of date. These days it's all about LiT's knees and ITB's mammoth buns.
  • stuaff
    Aidy wrote:

I'm so confused.

Yup, so cliquey and exclusive they let me in....... :D
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • stuaff
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Jen J wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

I'm so confused.

You're way out of date. These days it's all about LiT's knees and ITB's mammoth buns.
    :D
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Jen J wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

I'm so confused.

Thanks all, it's nice to be back, if a little strange. It's all the same as before, yet not.
    We will only allow you back if you bring Linsen with you. :cry:

Actual cycling to work is not a requirement of the forum. In fact, I think more people here row now.

Do you still have the Madone?
  • Welcome back Jen
    I'm relatively new on the forum. have been commuting on a MTB and will continue to do so but have just got myself a road bike so I can do some longer distances...I've got the scary butterflys with regards to riding a road bike and SPDs....tis a totally different feel to the MTB! keep on peddlin' :)
  • Jen J
    I was WheezyMcChubby but then my dad got very sick and the Wheezy didn't seem so whimsical anymore (We've never met in real life)

For anyone who hasn't encountered Jen J on the forum she likes to run sportive distances, if she starts commuting again and joins SC stats the rest can go home.

Sorry to hear about your dad. You give me far too much credit on the mileage though - I've given up training and now just do the long races every so often, then wonder why it's hard work :roll:
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Jen J wrote:

Sigh. I've got so much catching up to do.
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • jonginge
    Jen J wrote:
    Sigh. I've got so much catching up to do.
    Pub. Job done.

Clique? What clique? ;)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Great to have you back Jen!
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Welcome back Jen - try and keep away from dogs this time :wink:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Jen J wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Jen J wrote:

Ha ha, yes I see I've rejoined you at a testing time...

Now is this the 'advice with a little fun' or 'fun with a little advice' forum...?

I haven't had a chance to catch up properly - who's still here? Who's not?

:oops:

Good grief that sounds patronising when you read it back. The things you type in the heat of an online argument.

And then some more :oops:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yes It's all about me these days ;-)

Welome back Jen we missed you.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    welcome back
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Jen J wrote:
    Yeah, but it's ok, I know about Buns, ....

You do? I'm touched...

Welcome back!

Cheers,
    W.
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    Jen J wrote:
    Yeah, but it's ok, I know about Buns, ....

You do? I'm touched...

she didn't say what she knew though....
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    You sold the Madone? :shock:

Welcome back I 'spose...*mutters*