Silly: Kharma jumps the shark

2»

Comments

• Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    biondino wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    <pedant>Chains don't stretch</pedant>

So what does stretch? The chain I replaced was clearly longer that it used to be and no longer fitted the teeth (some of which had also worn) perfectly. Something's changing!

technically speaking they don't "stretch", the pins and rollers wear so that there is more play in them over time, this causes the chain to get longer, the overall effect being that it appears to be a stretched chain.
    You start with a chain that is Xcm long and end up with a chain that is X+Ycm long, debating whether it actually "stretched" or not is extreme pendantry.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    The inside edges of the holes in the inner plates will wear as they pivot around the pins, allowing each link to lengthen slightly. The metal itself doesn't actually stretch (measurably) it wears away, hence the <pedant> bit. Same end result though.

EDIT: too slow again.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Of course metal can stretch. not much but they can.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Expands in warm weather as well. That's why I have a set of different chains for different weathers - the shorter chains are used when it is hot so that they expand to the correct length. Similarly, whilst at average temperature, those chains are also slightly too narrow. I find a particular chain type works most effectively over a range of about 10 degrees celsius.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    DonDaddyD wrote:

They can, but it isn't metal stretching that causes your chain to get noticeably longer.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    It's just wear. Steel is elastic below it's yield limit - if you were stressing the chain to the point that it experienced permanent deformation after the load were removed, it would break in fairly short order as you would have caused it to yield. The cause of chain elongation is wear in the pins and rollers.

The term 'stretch' refers to a specific mode of deformation for the chain (to me, anyway), which does not accurately reflect the failure mechanism in play and could cause people to misunderstand how they should maintain their equipment.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    Rolf F wrote:
    Expands in warm weather as well. That's why I have a set of different chains for different weathers - the shorter chains are used when it is hot so that they expand to the correct length. Similarly, whilst at average temperature, those chains are also slightly too narrow. I find a particular chain type works most effectively over a range of about 10 degrees celsius.

I'm not sure wether or not to believe this post
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Rolf F wrote:

I'm not sure wether or not to believe this post

:lol: Like the Atacama Desert.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Sorry to break it to you DDD, but it sounds like you need a new bike.
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    Rolf F wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

A steel bike frame will perfectly match the thermal expansion of a steel chain.

DDD is having problems because his frame is not steel. Or because his chain is not carbon fibre :twisted: