Silly: Kharma jumps the shark

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Riding up a hill in Richmond Park I'm giving it the moobs (that doesn't sound fast does it), I'm trying to make an attack stick against London Dynamo (no joke - but only up the hill). I get out of the saddle and bring the dance to the pedals when my Kharma's chain jumps from 3rd to 5th. The sudden jolt felt like a Campag gear change and if I wasn't clipped in I'd have been off.

So I climb on the saddle going gingerly and change through the gears. 3rd and 4th always seem to jump between each other (at times) and 5th (middle cog - 10 speed cassette) jumps when I go above a certain speed.

I've also noticed that if I'm in 3rd and change to 4th it'll go to 5th most of the time or it'll go to 4th then jump to 5th of its own will. However, if you flip the bike upside down it, turn the pedals (by hand) it doesn't jump through the changes.

I've looked at the cassette and the teeth look OK, the chain doesn't feel stretched what could it be?

What could be the problem, is this something I can fix on my own or should I MTFU and go to the LBS...
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I get out of the saddle and bing to dance on the pedals when my Kharma's chaing jumps from 3rd to 5th. The sudden jolt felt like a Campag gear change and if I wasn't clipped in I'd have been off.

So I climb on the saddle going gingerly and change through the gears. 3rd and 4th always seem to jump between each other (at times) and 5th (middle cog - 10 speed cassette) jumps when I go above a certain speed.

I've also noticed that if I'm in 3rd and change to 4th it'll go to 5th most of the time or it'll go to 4th then jump to 5th of its own will. However, if you flip the bike upside down it, turn the pedals (by hand) it doesn't jump through the changes.

I've looked at the cassette and the teeth look OK, the chain doesn't feel stretched what could it be?

What could be the problem, is this something I can fix on my own or should I MTFU and go to the LBS...

Your power is bending the Carbon frame
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    I thought so, but then I tried to power slowly - that was difficult it takes more effort to hold my thighs back than simply let them go - and the gear jumping happened anyway.

If its my weight I'm gonna be upset.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    DDD aka Andy Schleck ;)

Maybe the rear spindle could be tighter. Could be the wheel flexing slightly in the dropouts under load. I had a similar issue and did a facepalm when it went away on tightening the quick release slightly :oops:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    you really moobs are bitch tits and not a measure of power (in cycling circles anyway)
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Cable stretch, re-indexing needed? that or it's cos you're riding ShimaNo.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Riding up a hill along Richmond Park, I'm giving it the moobs (that doesn't sound fast does it), I'm trying to make an attack stick against London Dynamo (no joke - but only up the hill). I get out of the saddle and bing to dance on the pedals when my Kharma's chaing jumps from 3rd to 5th. The sudden jolt felt like a Campag gear change and if I wasn't clipped in I'd have been off.

Just to clarify, when you say 3rd to 5th do you mean bigger to smaller cog? Is it just a temporary thing - i.e. does the chain change back if you ease off and keep pedaling,or does it stay in 5th? If the latter, then that suggest something is letting out cable when load is applied to the chain, either at the shifter end, or perhaps the pinch bolt on the derailleur is not as tight as it should be. You get something similar on old friction DT shifters, if they are too loose - stamp on the pedals and the derailleur moves to release some of the chain tension. by shifting to a smaller cog. If it's the former, then I would guess that some part of the frame is flexing, which is worrying, as that is supposed to be the stiff bit of the bike. A couple of things you can check easily and then off to the LBS if no joy. If it's the Ergolever that is slipping you'll need the LBS anyway, but at least you can direct them to the problem.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Shhhh...

You have an early prototype of the new automatic Di2 gear shifter.
  • Poor quality gruppo, clearly.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Cable stretch, re-indexing needed?

This. Replaced my cables a month ago and now the rear gears have started doing this (but only when I'm on the little ring at the front.). I'm going to pull my hair out attempting to get my indexing done tonight.

Since I'm not a wizard and I don't know the correct ritual for sacraficing toads and chickens to the indexing gods my attempts will fail.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Love the way you have a dig at Campagnolo, before launching into how shite your Shimano gears are!
  • DonDaddyD
    How much for Athena? Lol :lol:

I probably need to get the bike serviced. If it is the frame then I'll make a severe complaint to Kuota and then buy Wilier, if its a gruppo problem Chorus as I can't buy Athena because I'm male. I hope its just a cable index issue I really do I don't want to spend anymore money...
    rjsterry wrote:

Just to clarify, when you say 3rd to 5th do you mean bigger to smaller cog?
    Normally bigger to smaller cog. I think it has jumped up from smaller to bigger once or twice but not with any frequency.
    Is it just a temporary thing - i.e. does the chain change back if you ease off and keep pedaling,or does it stay in 5th?

If it goes to 5th it normally tries to stay there or the chain will jump on the sprocket but not go any further down the cassette. It's actually no longer safe (I think) to climb out of the saddle.
    If it's the former, then I would guess that some part of the frame is flexing, which is worrying, as that is supposed to be the stiff bit of the bike. A couple of things you can check easily and then off to the LBS if no joy. If it's the Ergolever that is slipping you'll need the LBS anyway, but at least you can direct them to the problem.
    You're making me scared...
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I probably need to get the bike serviced. If it is the frame then I'll make a severe complaint to Kuota and then buy Wilier, if its a gruppo problem Chorus as I can't buy Athena because I'm male. I hope its just a cable index issue I really do I don't want to spend anymore money...
    rjsterry wrote:

Normally bigger to smaller cog. I think it has jumped up from smaller to bigger once or twice but not with any frequency.
    Is it just a temporary thing - i.e. does the chain change back if you ease off and keep pedaling,or does it stay in 5th?

If it goes to 5th it normally tries to stay there or the chain will jump on the sprocket but not go any further down the cassette. It's actually no longer safe (I think) to climb out of the saddle.
    If it's the former, then I would guess that some part of the frame is flexing, which is worrying, as that is supposed to be the stiff bit of the bike. A couple of things you can check easily and then off to the LBS if no joy. If it's the Ergolever that is slipping you'll need the LBS anyway, but at least you can direct them to the problem.

Does the cable feel a bit slack when it's fully released - chain on smallest cog? If so, then take up the slack with the barrel adjuster or actually undo the pinchbolt and pull the cable through a bit (not too tight). And make sure you do the pinch bolt up tight enough (not too tight, mind)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DonDaddyD
    rjsterry wrote:

Does the cable feel a bit slack when it's fully released - chain on smallest cog? If so, then take up the slack with the barrel adjuster or actually undo the pinchbolt and pull the cable through a bit (not too tight). And make sure you do the pinch bolt up tight enough (not too tight, mind)

I'll check the cable but as this is my Kharma I think if it is noticable slack I'll take it to the LBS.

Thanks though may have a play with this on my Giant as well, I need to learn how to dial my gears just right.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    I think there is an indexing article somewhere on BR...

... Yer tis http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/workshop-shifting-problems-20350
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• jonginge
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I need to learn how to dial my gears just right.
    Performance #nowplayinginmyhead
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I need to learn how to dial my gears just right.

"Or buy Campag, 'cos Shimano's shite."
  • rjsterry
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

I'll check the cable but as this is my Kharma I think if it is noticable slack I'll take it to the LBS.

Thanks though may have a play with this on my Giant as well, I need to learn how to dial my gears just right.

Can't do your own maintenance? How girly is that? :wink:
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    DonDaddyD wrote:

rjsterry wrote:

'Can't buy Athena because I have some utterly stupid hang-up about the name', more like. Self, and amnezia (and many others) are chuffed with Athena. But then, it's on an actual Italian frame in our cases... :D If you'd actually spend £250 more getting Chorus just because of the name (same chain, same cassette, barely less weight...), more fool you...

It's probably something that your LBS can sort with no bother.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    When you say you're chain doesn't feel stretched have you checked it with a chain checker doobrie?

I'm only got tiagra but I can honestly say thanks to almost constant fiddling with my cable tension and keeping an eye on chain wear my gears have only slipped once in 2 years.

Sounds like you need to master the art of cable fettling. A real man would :wink:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I probably need to get the bike serviced. If it is the frame then I'll make a severe complaint to Kuota and then buy Wilier, if its a gruppo problem Chorus as I can't buy Athena because I'm male.

Centaur male enough for you? Aside from the number of gears (and that shouldn't matter as, in London, you'll only need a standard chainset so the gear differences won't be so great anyway), you won't notice any difference from Athena or Chorus. I reckon if Centaur is good enough for my 585, it is plenty good enough for your Kharma - and unlike your Kharma, Centaur is real Italian rather than pretend Italian :wink:

PS - Athena fine for blokes; she's the goddess of war :twisted:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Rolf F wrote:

He seems not to get that......

Good points about Centaur. At least on a Froogle search, there seems to be very little in it on price between Centaur and Athena at the mo- Athena is more heavily discounted. 11 speed appealed to me as I could have an extended range on the cassette with a similar if not identical spacing between ratios. And 'up to eleven' of course :wink: As for function, I agree, there won't be much in it.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • give the barrel ajuster a tiny clockwise turn, sounds like it's just a off a touch, chances of frame flex etc are slim.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    StuAff wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

He seems not to get that......

Good points about Centaur. At least on a Froogle search, there seems to be very little in it on price between Centaur and Athena at the mo- Athena is more heavily discounted. 11 speed appealed to me as I could have an extended range on the cassette with a similar if not identical spacing between ratios. And 'up to eleven' of course :wink: As for function, I agree, there won't be much in it.

I'd probably have gone that route myself - I think that I could get alloy Athena for about the same as carbon Centaur. The free upgrade to Record front and rear mechs that came with the carbon Centaur swung it for me :lol:

Of course, there is the issue that the Campag 10 speed is supposedly a bit nicer mechanically/easier to keep in trim but I bet that is pretty much hard to tell either.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Asprilla wrote:
    Cable stretch, re-indexing needed?

This. Replaced my cables a month ago and now the rear gears have started doing this (but only when I'm on the little ring at the front.). I'm going to pull my hair out attempting to get my indexing done tonight.

Since I'm not a wizard and I don't know the correct ritual for sacraficing toads and chickens to the indexing gods my attempts will fail.
    Cables will stretchmore initially, then stabilise and then get slightly oxidized, grubby and so on, and shifting will get worse again.

DDD - there's no way you can eyeball a chain and tell if its stretched or not.
  • Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    I noticed you said when you turn the bike upside down to check the gear changes everything is fine. This is quite common. If you do attempt to reset your indexing you must have the bike the correct way up. I haven't got a bike stand so i use my tubo trainer.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    <pedant>Chains don't stretch</pedant>.

If it's upshifting by itself, add a bit of tension to the cable. When's the last time you replaced the cables? This 10-speed stuff is pretty sensitive to well-maintained and installed cable runs. Mine only last 12 months :-(.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    New chain and casette = FIXED and a little adjust of the rear mech - simples
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    DesWeller wrote:
    <pedant>Chains don't stretch</pedant>

So what does stretch? The chain I replaced was clearly longer that it used to be and no longer fitted the teeth (some of which had also worn) perfectly. Something's changing!
  • jonginge
    biondino wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    <pedant>Chains don't stretch</pedant>

So what does stretch? The chain I replaced was clearly longer that it used to be and no longer fitted the teeth (some of which had also worn) perfectly. Something's changing!
    The fabric of reality has shrunk. Someone put it on too high a wash. That's global warming for you...
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides