Another five ten convert

2»

Comments

• One thing that no one mentions about 5.10's, they're fecking uncomfortable after a long ride :shock:

they grip like shite to a pole and seem to stand up to some fair abuse, but with a flat rigid sole you'd think they would put a moulded insert in them for support.
    MTB's, SC Blur LTc & Cotic Soul (26" definitely aint dead!).
    Other, Genesis Croix De Fer
  • MissBint37
    MissBint37 Posts: 1,503
    Penylope wrote:
    One thing that no one mentions about 5.10's, they're fecking uncomfortable after a long ride :shock:

they grip like shite to a pole and seem to stand up to some fair abuse, but with a flat rigid sole you'd think they would put a moulded insert in them for support.

Can't say mine were uncomfortable and I was going 50 miles a day in the Tatra mountains last August with them!!!
    Ride it like you stole it!
  • PXR5
    PXR5 Posts: 203
    Penylope wrote:
    One thing that no one mentions about 5.10's, they're fecking uncomfortable after a long ride :shock:

Problem is that one size does not fit all, I have no probs with my 5.10 impacts, wear them all the time, work and play (though not when clipped in :wink: ), par contre as they say here, my Nike 6 Mogan Mids may look nice, but offer no arch support whatsoever, after a days wear i'm in bl00dy agony - hobbling about like some old bloke - actually i am a bit of an old bloke, but you get the idea....
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I find my 5.10's very comfy.

If they don't fit you, they don't fit. Funny that isn't it :wink::lol:

Remember you can get your shoes re-soled with the stealth rubber or you could get an insert for the 5.10's
  • Mine got uncomfortable after 2 laps of Cannock trails, made my feet ache, they are also heavy and huge. I do like them overall but I will be trying some other shoes ones these wear out. :)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    My 5 10s were very comfy. Well, until the inner lining wore out and they started rubbing my heels but that took a while.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Worn them for rides of 10-30miles through rain,wind and shine. Plenty of walking while pushing and carrying on varied terrain

Plenty of winter action and bogfests. The insoles are still intact and the uppers are as new. I never put them through the washer or dryer just pressure wash them off and then greenhouse or work drying room.

As previously said there is no float and it takes a bit of getting used to repositioning the, the second down side is their weight particularly when wet. But the grip is always there. They can also be resoled which is a bonus.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    i'd buy the impact 2 lows again.they're by far the baest shoes i've tried
  • My Impacts do grip very well, but not convinced I like the grip better than my North Face trainers. On top of the cardboard sole, ability to soak up water, weight and lack of comfort on longer rides, the stitching is coming apart on mine after a month of weekend riding. Reckon I'll be trying Shimano next.
  • Northwind
    edited September 2010
    Oh- AM40s are on sale in most sizes at CRC, £54 plus you can go through topcashback and get a bit more back (in theory, if they ever pay out) Presumably there's a new model on the way.

<edit- in the interests of balance they also have cheap Basics. But I don't think anyone thinks Basics are better tham AM40s.)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    Northwind wrote:
    Oh- AM40s are on sale in most sizes at CRC, £54 plus you can go through topcashback and get a bit more back (in theory, if they ever pay out) Presumably there's a new model on the way.

Got a pair last week at this price :D
  • mrfmilo wrote:
    How long do they last in DH/FR usage?

I've had mine nearly a year and they've been covered in mub, gone through the washing machine loads and taken some scrapes. I'd recommend the Sam Hills or the Impart 2's. The Freerides are a bit soft, have less grip and don't last as long if you're in to DH.

:D
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    had mine over 3 years, thousands of miles on shimano dx's and v12's
    510_090610_01.jpg
    they're marked up a bit but reckon there's alot left in them, brilliant shoes :)
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    yep another five ten convert. got the freerider shoes. :oops: its so much more comfortable than the shimano am40 & far more secure feel. my brother took my shimano am40 for "general use" :lol:
  • jon87uk
    jon87uk Posts: 158
    After a bit more use I am still quite happy with mine. Not had any really wet rides and am looking to change pedals as my feet are a bit wider than my V8's (yes I know, buy wellgo pedals instead) but they are very comfy, stiffer than my skate trainers by far. Tried jumping on my old bike and riding in Nike 6.0 and I expected alot more grip than I recieved, almost had a pedal very deep in my shin.

One thing to note is do no lace them up too tight, probably a no brainer to most, makes a signifiacant difference on longer rides.
    Current - Cotic BFe - Pike RC - XT - Hope Arch EX
    Previous - 09 Marin Wolfridge 6.7 - 03 Kona Roast
  • Northwind
    bobpzero wrote:
    yep another five ten convert. got the freerider shoes. :oops: its so much more comfortable than the shimano am40 & far more secure feel. my brother took my shimano am40 for "general use" :lol:

Not trying to be funny here but what's more comfortable about them? Are you criticising the Shimanos because they don't fit you :?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    I bought myself a pair of these when they were mentioned in another thread on here-

Five Ten Marvel

I should have probably ordered size 9 but the 8.5's are £10 cheaper so I go those instead. They were a bit tight to begin with but I think I've broken them in now.

I haven't got much to compare them to except an old pair of trainers but my feet definitely stick to the pedals alot better although not so much that you can't move them mid ride (which I like).

They are meant to be running shoes but they seem to work quite well on the bike and are quite a bit cheaper then the impacts.