Another five ten convert

jon87uk
jon87uk Posts: 158
edited September 2010 in MTB general
Been shopping around for ages to try and find a pair of five tens in my size, finally picked up a new pair of the sam hill signature.

One ride in and I definately think they were worth the money, my v8's wrecked my nike 6.0 and these seem to be must stiffer and grippier.

If anyone is interested I got them from this site as it was the cheapest I could find them in my size.

Northwest Face Online Shop
Current - Cotic BFe - Pike RC - XT - Hope Arch EX
Previous - 09 Marin Wolfridge 6.7 - 03 Kona Roast

Comments

• Mr Wu
    Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
    Excellent Shoes. I have exactly the same ones. There's a lot to be said for the Stealth S1 rubber. The original 5.10 impacts are great shoes too, if they drop in my size on the CRC sale I shall be owning a pair :0)
  • I bought some Freeriders recently for £65, love them. 8) The grip seems even better than my AM40's. :wink:
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Learning to use the grip is a skill,

If you think they are grippy now, you will be amazed what you can get them to do in a year.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    How long do they last in DH/FR usage?
  • Mr Wu
    Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
    cavegiant wrote:

If you think they are grippy now, you will be amazed what you can get them to do in a year.

I agree with this, I've already re-enacted Lionel Richies dancing on the ceiling whilst wearing mine!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Mr Wu wrote:
    cavegiant wrote:

I agree with this, I've already re-enacted Lionel Richies dancing on the ceiling whilst wearing mine!

the lack of "float" catches some people out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    I've been using a pair of "Impact 2 Low" which are very similar to the Sam Hill versions for a year and they are still in almost perfect condition (other than being a little dirty).

Very little obvious ware on the sole and the rest of the shoe doesn't even show much sign of scuffing or anything.

They grip great on the pedals as you'd expect but compared normal trainers and walking boots and stuff, I also find that they grip very well to the floor when pushing the bike back up the hill (in both dry and wet conditions).

Really glad I bought em.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    mrfmilo wrote:

Easily more than a year.

Even if you are walking the tracks a lot with them as well, they still last forever.

I've been using mine for nearly a year and should be able to get another year out of them, thats with lots of casual use and trailbuilding as well so well tested.

Even if the tread wears out, they will still grip like glue because the rubber is so damn sticky.

Just need to find some of that glue stuff for the climbing shoes since I stuck a shovel through the bottom of one :(
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    peter413 wrote:
    mrfmilo wrote:

Easily more than a year.

Even if you are walking the tracks a lot with them as well, they still last forever.

I've been using mine for nearly a year and should be able to get another year out of them, thats with lots of casual use and trailbuilding as well so well tested.

Even if the tread wears out, they will still grip like glue because the rubber is so damn sticky.

Just need to find some of that glue stuff for the climbing shoes since I stuck a shovel through the bottom of one :(

Nice :D Might have to get some.... 8)
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    +1 for 5.10s

9months in use and they are like new, well not really but as good as it gets.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Mine dissolved. Cardboard inner soles have no place on mountain bike kit, let alone expensive mountain bike kit... Good while they lasted though.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    Northwind wrote:
    Mine dissolved. Cardboard inner soles have no place on mountain bike kit, let alone expensive mountain bike kit... Good while they lasted though.

That was the Ba5ic though :wink:
  • Northwind
    They all have cardboard inner soles, or at least the standard ones and the Karvers do, I took a couple of sets apart in a shop to have a look :wink:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Miggins
    Miggins Posts: 433
    Which 5 10s are the ones to go for? Impacts? Karvers? Freeride? Or are they just slightly different in looks only?
    After uphill there's downhill
  • peter413
    For anything really muddy or rocky, has to be the imapcts/karvers/sam hills.

Freeriders aren't as tough hence why they are called freeriders and not downhillers :wink:
  • peter413
    Northwind wrote:
    They all have cardboard inner soles, or at least the standard ones and the Karvers do, I took a couple of sets apart in a shop to have a look :wink:

Never had a problem with mine, except for sticking a shovel through the sole :lol:

I find they stay dry fine so maybe it is just a problem on the Ba5ic's with staying damp, I'm sure they use different materials and the sole isn't as thick either
  • Miggins
    Miggins Posts: 433
    peter413 wrote:
    For anything really muddy or rocky, has to be the imapcts/karvers/sam hills.

Freeriders aren't as tough hence why they are called freeriders and not downhillers :wink:

That's a shame; I prefer the look of the Freeriders. Thanks for clearing that up for me anyway, Peter.
    After uphill there's downhill
  • Northwind
    edited August 2010
    peter413 wrote:
    I find they stay dry fine so maybe it is just a problem on the Ba5ic's with staying damp, I'm sure they use different materials and the sole isn't as thick either

Mmm, not convinced, the Basics are lighter after all. The Impacts are reknowned for the way they soak up water, it's one of the most common complaints about them.

Don't get me wrong, I'd totally buy another pair of Five Tens, probably the Karvers or Sam Hills this time, but the AM40s just seem to be better- certainly better made, with better options (you can adjust the sole stiffness), and they were cheaper to boot. But if there was no AM40 I'd get another pair of 5 10s.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    The Impacts, Karvers and Sam Hills all have the same basic design.

Just different tougne designs is really the only differences
  • Northwind
    Yup, the Karver has the lace flap which supposedly helps keep the water out. The Sam Hill mainly just looks better than the Impact :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ive only ever worn nike 6.0s to bike. maybe its because i work for nike and get them super cheap lol
  • nick1962
    nick1962 Posts: 156
    If you ask me the MTB world (well I am at any rate) is crying out for an all round decent grippy flat pedal shoe.Marrying the stickiness of a 5.10 sole, with a firm,deep waffle tread to grip pedal pins, leather uppers,ankle protection,a velcro flap over the laces,reasonable weight adequate ventilation and that doesn't soak up and retain water and maybe a Goretex lined version for winter use too.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Northwind wrote:
    The Impacts are reknowned for the way they soak up water, it's one of the most common complaints about them.

I stole this from someone else (Dan Barham): 'they're like the world's grippiest sponge"!
  • I can second the complaint about the cardboard sole, and this is the impact not basic. One v wet day in the mountains and it is disintegrating, pretty poor for a £75 shoe. I get about a year out of North Face walking trainers before the sole wears out. Same price, plus they are Goretex and can be used for walking/running/general wear as well.
  • peter413
    lochussie wrote:
    I can second the complaint about the cardboard sole, and this is the impact not basic. One v wet day in the mountains and it is disintegrating, pretty poor for a £75 shoe. I get about a year out of North Face walking trainers before the sole wears out. Same price, plus they are Goretex and can be used for walking/running/general wear as well.

Do they grip as well as 5.10's though :wink:
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    nick1962 wrote:
    If you ask me the MTB world (well I am at any rate) is crying out for an all round decent grippy flat pedal shoe.Marrying the stickiness of a 5.10 sole, with a firm,deep waffle tread to grip pedal pins, leather uppers,ankle protection,a velcro flap over the laces,reasonable weight adequate ventilation and that doesn't soak up and retain water and maybe a Goretex lined version for winter use too.
    There already is such a shoe in the shimano am40, looks are a bit marmite but i find them better than the 5-10 impacts they replaced.

There not as big and clumsy, there a lot cooler, laces dont keep hanging out, hold out water a lot better and dry out in no time when you do get them wet.

You can also reposition your foot easyer as i found the 5-10s to be a pig to get your foot in the right place when at speed, many times if finished a dh trail on my heels and have to pretty much stop to get feet in position again.
  • I've got the am40's and I like them not had 5 10's so can't comment on them.

Will try 5 10's next time
  • Northwind
    richg1979 wrote:
    There already is such a shoe in the shimano am40, looks are a bit marmite but i find them better than the 5-10 impacts they replaced.

Testify brother! Always find it quite interesting that most people who've only tried 5 10s think they're the best but most people who've tried 5 10s and AM40s think AM40s are the best ;) But then I've never tried the best 5 10s so maybe if I did I'd think they're the best. They're all good tbh.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    i wont be buying any 5-10s again put it that way even if they were £25 a pair, the am40 is twice the shoe.
  • MissBint37
    MissBint37 Posts: 1,503
    I have the women's Karvers, had them just over a year and they are fantastic, mine haven't fallen to pieces however I have only used them for about 6 months of that time due to being off for ages with a bad hand injury.

Feet definitely don't go flying off the pedals as much with these :)

Note to self....must remember to try dancing on the ceiling ;)
    Ride it like you stole it!