Turbo - how to get on/off after an injury?

Pretre
Pretre Posts: 355
I managed to fracture my pelvis in 3 places back in April (short version - cycled into the back of a stationary car at pretty high-speed) & I'm only now thinking about getting back on a bike on the turbo.
The issue is that my right hip, where I hit the car, is still very weak (still use a single crutch for longer walks & for getting a place on the train/tube, per physio's advice) so I've been advised that getting on the turbo would be good exercise but I tried it today & getting on & off the thing was not easy, to say the least - I can't lift my right leg high enough to get it over the saddle so I have to use the left but that puts a lot of painful strain on my right hip.
What did anyone else who's had similar issues use? Some sort of step would be good but I don't want to have to buy something I won't use for more than a month or so..

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Pretre wrote:
    Some sort of step would be good but I don't want to have to buy something I won't use for more than a month or so..

I suppose it depends on how keen you are to get back on the turbo - if so, buy some steps, or improvise....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    right foot in pedal, lean on right crutch. swing left leg over. Reverse for dismount. (make sure you keep the crutch nearby!)
  • Anonymous
    edited August 2010
    Double post
  • Anonymous
    edited August 2010
    Triple post!
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    IKEA (and similar stores?) sell small 8" steps for kids to use in bathrooms to reach the sink - would that help? Or a low set of decorating/kitchen steps - the kind with 2 or 3 steps which you would have use of later when decorating, reaching high shelves in kitchen etc? Or an upturned beer crate?
    Take it gently tho'
  • Pretre
    Pretre Posts: 355
    NapoleonD wrote:
    right foot in pedal, lean on right crutch. swing left leg over. Reverse for dismount. (make sure you keep the crutch nearby!)

Good one - I'll give it a go