Made yourself sick after pushing it?

anto164
anto164 Posts: 3,500
Was on the bike today, and i did some uphill sprinting trying to build some strength.

Found a 300metre long piece of winding 10pc hill (street sign said 10pc when i looked over my shoulder at the top) and managed to sprint to the top in the big ring today. But when i got to the top, i nearly emptied my stomach onto the floor presumingly from pushing it. (took me 3 miles to recover afterwards, and hit a higher number for my MHR too).

Just wonder what other people do when the time happens when you have pushed it so as to feel sick.. :?

Comments

• Skippy2309
    Skippy2309 Posts: 426
    did you eat just before hand?

when you push it the blood will move away from the organs to where its needed, which often makes people chuck up.

theres also the lactate build up you get from really working it hard, I have only thrown up once from exercise and it was purely I pushed it too hard for too long...

1 mile run in 5minutes - had to stop and was throwing up in bushes, followed by a 20-30minute walk home feeling rather sick :oops:

Not had it on the bike yet, but I am sure I will sooner or later :P
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Give at least 2 hours between food intake and hard exercise - even longer if running - has been my experience.
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    What did your HR get up to? Out of interest.
    No i've never thrown up but have come close to passing out it felt like when on the turbo trainer
  • anto164
    hit 201 on the HR.

Going to attack the hill again next time i'm out in the same gear. Hopefully this will help with my power and sprinting.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    Only a couple of times when doing intervals on the turbo. I've not pushed that hard for a while.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    done it rowing a couple of times. Even on an empty stomach, it isn't pretty dry-heaving in the foetal position on the floor.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I nearly did yesterday, someone overtook me on this blakey bank hill so I cached up and attacked at the end, he appeared to start sprinting so I did, don't know if he was pushing his hardest but I was battered, I was breathing so fast and could feel my heart pounding I felt like I was suffocating despite breathing that hard :shock:, then shortly after that I felt I was going to chuck up.
  • rjh299
    anto164 wrote:
    hit 201 on the HR.

Going to attack the hill again next time i'm out in the same gear. Hopefully this will help with my power and sprinting.

No wonder you felt ill, that's pretty damn high
  • anto164
    i'm only 23, so it's slightly over my theoretical.... ;)
  • rjh299
    Oh to be 23 again...
    I've only got to 196, once you hit 24 like me it's all down hill...
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    Pretty much feel like I'm going to barf after every deadlift / squat session in the gym. if you ain't puking, it ain't a workout.
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    Yes a few times after the hill climb races in Autumn. After the nationals last season I managed to get off the hill and away from the crowds before barfing.
  • airbusboy
    airbusboy Posts: 231
    I did some 15-30's sprints about a week ago, first two where ok... third i felt physcially sick, very uncomfortable, i hadn't had a breakfast so I i can only blame the cup of tea.

Even Worse

Half way through the the fourth sprint I lost my banana out of my back pocket and diligently continued..... :-(

Glad to see i'm not the only one to hit a high heartrate, i was quite concerned about my MHR being >203 (22yrs old).... haven't hit it in a while mind.
    'Ride hard for those who can't.....'
  • 2 Saturdays ago i rode the furthest i'd been and to keep it fun I rode each of the hardest hills around (not really that hard, its East Berks). At 60 miles and the 5th hill, probably the worst of them as its a 3/4's of a mile of 9/10%, i got to the top and could barely turn a peddle and was getting fairly wobbly. No retching as it wasnt a CV climb, just a draining slog on the legs
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    Yet to throw up during exercise, but I do start to feel really really ill if I do something lactate intensive and then just stop. I imagine that's its so common in rowing and hill climbs as its difficult to warm down/carry on immediately.
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    After a long ride to Southport and back I found myself feeling really sick on the way home. It took a lot of effort for me not to throw up, but maybe I should have. I suspect it was some slight heat stroke though rather than actual exhaustion.
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    on a night out i was sick after 10 pints of lager and a currie
    going downhill slowly
  • I have never puked but I nearly passed out the other day.

I took a couple of weeks off trying to snap out of a low period I had been going through, I felt run down so thought a rest would be best.

For my first "proper" ride back I went MTB`iking for the first time with one of the guys from the road club, I told myself to MTFU and I tried to keep up with him on the hills.

The result was bonking within 20 mins, nearly passing out and praying I would make it around (12 miles on a Red )

Worst day ever, hated every minute of it.