Should I have SPD's on my bike ????

2»

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Skonk wrote:

I'm just struggling to understand why what I said in my earlier post warranted calling me a retard.

My advice: don't give it a second thought - you'd just be wasting your time. Just move on and ignore it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Skonk read this

There is no point in starting anther thread debating things, it has been too soon.

As for flats looking stupid, there are some fairly tricked out racing flats:

43495.jpg

Foot closer to the axle than with most spd systems.

And these:

ultra-Mag.jpg
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    You seem to have misread my post.

In this thread, someone else(on page 1 of the posts) linked the same article you just linked.

My post was in reply to that; I didn't just pull that quote out of nowhere and put it here to start up a debate, it was already here and I just replied to it.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    So now you want to argue with the laws of physics, physiology, professional world class athletes and their trainers AND the forum?
    Man you're stupid.
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    No I don't want to argue about anything; I'm just baffled by why I'm getting all this agro from you.

Someone on page 1 posted a link to the other thread, I replied to that basically saying i didn't agree with it and explained why I thought that, and then come back today to read your post calling me a troll and a retard.

Now I'm getting called stupid.

I didn't try to re-open some old debate, that was done on page 1 by someone else, all I did was reply to it.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • Anonymous
    well fcuk off to the other thread where it was discussed then, you're derailing this one, and adding nothing to it.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    So now you want to argue with the laws of physics, physiology, professional world class athletes and their trainers AND the forum?
    Man you're stupid.

Pot - Kettle & Mr See-Saw :roll:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Anonymous
    yep, that's me.
    This ground breaking stating of the blindingly obvious seems to have angered a few SPuDsters.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yeehaa: I think it's the sudden aggression that's done it. :wink:
    And plenty of SPD users have said neither is "best", just try it and see what you prefer, as have flat users.

Skonk: If you want to debate mechanical efficiency, torque, maximum wattage or any of that, go to the other thread, it's reeeeally not worth starting a new one! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Down to personal choice, do what you prefer.

Personally I couldn't imagine not having SPD's.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • I ride with spd's, and came from a road background of having clipless.

In my view spd's make power transfer better this is unquestionable, road bikers are clipped in for this very reason, so it's easier to cycle, and it's easier to stay on the pedals (on bumpy downhills).

However, it does have the disadvantage of being fixed when sometimes it would be handy to have a foot down instantly for a second or 2 to push through an impossible gap or whatever.
    It would also be handy in those situations where you thought you could but it turned out you couldn't at the last second, when spd's often mean a bit of a muddy bath, gravel eating or a spot of sunbathing in the grass often occurs. Especially on the steep uphills (say 20% plus gradients) when its more difficult to instantly get out and get the foot down.

Often I ride in situation where I know I'm probably going to need to be out unexpectedly with one foot clipped and the other not.

In short, what is best will often depend on the nature of the trail as a whole, and the various sections of it.
  • tilt
    tilt Posts: 214
    So just because Skonk doesn't live on this forum he gets berated for not knowing there was another thread on the same subject?

Wow :roll:
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    well fcuk off to the other thread where it was discussed then, you're derailing this one, and adding nothing to it.

who the feck do you think you are ? the new bikeradar general ?
    anything is fair game on a internet forum and if a post is out of place then the mods will deal with it with alot more grace than a rude punk like you.
    f*cking a-hole.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970

how to loose all creditably :lol:
  • Anonymous
    so...
    Who's dragging this out into yet another slanging match exactly?
    The irony is just astounding.
  • tilt
    You call someone a retard, then tell them to f@ck off and then start crying because a few members called you up on it?

The only person that has derailed this thread is you. Grow up.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708

^

That's a line drawn ;-)
  • supersonic wrote:

^

That's a line drawn ;-)

RUBBERRRRR :roll:
  • tilt
    :lol:
  • ive taken the plunge and gone the spd route, after stating I was going to stick with flats.

I must say i now love them, didnt think I would but they are so much better, the flats are now on "the heaviest bike in the world incase I fancy that type of ride.
    Specialized Epic FSR Carbon Comp (10)

Carrera banshee (10) the heaviest bike in the world, but my god is it strong....grrrrrrrrr

http://original.justgiving.com/richardeniffer
  • SteveCHT
    SteveCHT Posts: 24
    Glad you at least tried it for yourself and decided that way. I did the very same. SPDs for my XC bike and flats for the DH bike.
    The death of the bike begins with its start
    The most efficient machine on the plant
    Often referred to as the noblest invention

Ragley Mmmbop
    Iron Horse 6point6
    Giant STP
    Kona Stinky
    Globe Roll 2