My Harry has gone!

2»

Comments

• This business makes me worry about my flatmate chaining my Dahon folder outside his shop in Camden while he works. Think I should have a word...
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    :( That is shocking. Sorry to hear.
  • Old st is a bit of a bike theft hotspot.

Happened to me this time last year.

My new old bike is only stored in the underground CP.

D locks are used when out and about at home.
    No Babbit No, Look what Birdy doing
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    This business makes me worry about my flatmate chaining my Dahon folder outside his shop in Camden while he works. Think I should have a word...

What?! a) it's a folder and b) he works in the shop. Surely he can store it inside?
  • I wonder if it's like car theft where in some instances, they are stolen to order. Or if you have someone who knows bikes that needs a particular part (brakeset etc) who has no morals and finds a bike to take it from.

I'm hopefully closing a purchase of my new abode with a garage, and I am actually worried about keeping my bikes in there, even with good security. Actually tempted to put a camera in there as well as industry standard fixings.

In addition, I wonder if you can get GPS style stuff to track your bike, like what the met are doing with the honeycomb bikes to get stolen.
  • msw
    msw Posts: 313
    In addition, I wonder if you can get GPS style stuff to track your bike, like what the met are doing with the honeycomb bikes to get stolen.

I think you mean "honeytrap" :wink:

I had one of those RF bike tracker things fitted; the police came round to our workplace and were fitting them. Can't remember if it was free - if not it was under a tenner. They take the saddle out and drop it down the seat tube and then give you the unique ID for you to register online.

HOWEVER when my bike was subsequently nicked the police weren't interested in the tracker at all. I told them about it, gave them the number and so on but they weren't really interested in recovering the bike and a few weeks later I got the anticipated "sorry you were a victim of crime but we're not pursuing it" letter. Maybe the new "bike squad" or whatever they're called will have more motivation.

Long story short: get some police or insurance company advice before spending real money on a tracker. They probably work but only if they're actually used.
    "We're not holding up traffic. We are traffic."
  • Just checked the abus lock and saw this: http://walkerlocksmiths.co.uk/toolscyli ... spicks.htm It's a bit unfair for us 'honest' guys...!!! no wonder they get away with bikes so fast/easy..!!!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    spam?
  • Perhaps a better lock :!:
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Thieves almost never use lock picks.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.