My Harry has gone!

moonio
moonio Posts: 802
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
My Harry (the boardman hybrid) was stolen from old street last night, I locked him outside a pub whilst sitting in the pub garden, he was in full view all the time...I must have taken my eye off him whilst chatting to mates...

I am so upset...

Gonna call the insurance shortly...but the dilemma is whether I should buy such a nice bike again? Or just get a crap run around bike??

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    moonio wrote:
    My Harry (the boardman hybrid) was stolen from old street last night, I locked him outside a pub whilst sitting in the pub garden, he was in full view all the time...I must have taken my eye off him whilst chatting to mates...

I am so upset...

Gonna call the insurance shortly...but the dilemma is whether I should buy such a nice bike again? Or just get a crap run around bike??

Oh that's shite but dont let those scrum drag you down, replace it with an even better bike :wink: and a bigger lock.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Awwwww so sorry to hear that! Barsteward bike thieves.

:evil:

Have you reported it to the police? I believe you need an incident number...

And I think insurance replaces like for like, so yes!
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Ditto wot ITB sed.

Get two if you can: one good and one crappy. Don't let the funkers win :(
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune Moonio - it's amazing how people manage to get away with these sort of things in full view of others.

Mind you, I run a shop and have had stuff stolen pretty much from under my nose.

As for a bike, why not think about getting a £100 wonder and get a proper replacement for social/weekend rides.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Oh no! Sorry for your loss. Stupid shoreditch
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    Crap! Which pub? I've sat in the outdoor bit of the Roadtrip place with mine on occasion within arms reach but not locked. Seems I was being too relaxed.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Commiserations :(
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Flibb
    Flibb Posts: 11
    Ooo bugger, sorry to ehar about anybody having their bike stolen.

Out of curiosity, what lock was it, and any obvious signs of how they defeated it?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Sorry to hear that.

Can't something be done in the same way the phone industry made it difficult and practically pointless nicking a mobile phone
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Ah that sucks. I second Benno's suggestion though. Get a hack for London and something nicer, or something nice and 2 massive locks. Although even then they'll still steal stuff you can't lock - like brakes (IME)
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Take a trip up Brick Lane Market this Sunday... Amazing how many stolen bikes end up getting sold there at the weekend after they are stolen. Know of people who have got theirs back after doing this.

What lock(s) did you have on?
    <Contemplating upgrading locks...>
  • moonio
    It was stolen from outside the roadtrip bar on the corner of old street and pittfield street.
    the lock was a heavy duty abus chain...i thought those were prety much 100% secure.

Have contacted the police and insurance company so I'll probably just be without a bike for a few weeks.

Will try to get to brick lane too..which day is best?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Commiserations, Moonio. My MTB was nicked a couple of weeks ago and I've been checking here - http://bikeshd.co.uk/ - ever since. It's really good.

If you type "Boardman" into the search it comes up with three put on sale today. The pics are all just publicity pics but the two cheaper ones look suspicious to me.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Sunday Market

Couple of places near the top/Cheshire Street but definately try the less salubrious looking side streets.
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    Bastards. Really, just bastards. Thieves are scum.

I hope your insurance pay up without fuss (insurance companies are not much above thieves in my esteem).
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • Horrible news, Moonio. It wasn't long ago since Harry came to stay - it can't be much more than 3 months, can it? Check out the bikeshd link that Biondino posted upstream - and if you have any luck, coordinate with the police.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,165
    moonio wrote:

I am so upset...

That's a bummer, sorry to hear it :( Don't let them put you off getting a decent bike again - if you can, treat yourself to the Hybrid Pro Ltd :wink:

Bit worrying they got through a heavy duty Abus easily as that's what I use !
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Can't something be done in the same way the phone industry made it difficult and practically pointless nicking a mobile phone
    Campagnolo are apparently barcoding their kitnow. Anyone's guess to how effective it will be. What would be better is laser/acid etching all components, but you'd have to record them all and hope they turn up (and that whoever ends up buying them checks them, and is willing to then give up their bargain purchase).

Which brings me to the buyers. If you're getting an expensive-looking bike for peanuts off some dodgy bloke in the market, how can you possibly think it's legit? Or are there that many unscrupulous shop owners who 'launder' the gear? The economics of bike theft just don't seem to make sense. Maybe someone here in the Police or similar could enlighten us as to how it works.

All I know is if I had the gear professional teams (if they even exist) are supposed to have - van full of power tools and suchlike, and some likely lads - I'd be doing much more lucrative work ;)
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    The 'best' Abus chain lock has 10mm links, and is susceptible to bolt croppers. 16mm links are recommended here, but of course they weigh a ton.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Ahh, that sucks !

I have a deep hatred of bike thieves and wish them nothing but misery and misfortune.

After having 2 bikes stolen in the space of months, I used the insurance money towards a much upgraded nice bike which never leaves my sight, and then spent £40 on a rough-looking 2nd hand town bike. It still annoys me that I can't use my nice bike as much as I'd like, but until the police start taking bike theft as seriously as, say, pavement cycling, I don't see bike theft diminishing.

Good luck !
    Misguided Idealist
  • That sucks. I don't condone this, but when I had my bike nicked I clip clopped round to the LBS and replaced it with one costing roughly double. It made me feel better - until I got home and failed to sneak it past gf into shed :)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Zachariah wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The economics of bike theft just don't seem to make sense. Maybe someone here in the Police or similar could enlighten us as to how it works.

Yeah, I really don't get it. Someone stole a 4 year old front Ultegra of my winter roadie a couple of months ago. WTF is that all about? They removed it perfectly as well.

C*nts the lot of them.
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    Do whatever you have to do to find them. And then kill them. In the face.

I hate bike theives.... :evil:
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    moonio wrote:
    It was stolen from outside the roadtrip bar on the corner of old street and pittfield street.
    the lock was a heavy duty abus chain...i thought those were prety much 100% secure.

Have contacted the police and insurance company so I'll probably just be without a bike for a few weeks.

Will try to get to brick lane too..which day is best?

Double crap! As I said, I've sat outside there with my bike just leant up against the fence within arms reach. Have passed on the warning to the rest of the office. Best of luck with insurance/retrieval via Brick Lane.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • moonio
    There appears to be a huge increase in bike thefts in the east end so be carefull people.
    Also bikes appear to be being stolen to order so cover up those logos etc if you can.

My isurance will cover the bike and I've realised that the only place i can leave my new harry is at home, in the secure parking at work, or at my local supermarket.
    So I'm hoping to use the bike rent scheme for any future nights in East London as its just not worth the risk.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,165
    moonio wrote:
    There appears to be a huge increase in bike thefts in the east end so be carefull people.
    Also bikes appear to be being stolen to order so cover up those logos etc if you can.

My isurance will cover the bike and I've realised that the only place i can leave my new harry is at home, in the secure parking at work, or at my local supermarket.
    So I'm hoping to use the bike rent scheme for any future nights in East London as its just not worth the risk.
    Good idea, if I am going out anywhere in London (other than maybe a Morpeth meet) then I don't take the bike, it causes too much worry...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • moonio
    My new Harry 2.0 should be arriving in the next couple of weeks :)
    And I've also decided to buy a brompton in the new year...

Observations on being bikeless:
    I cant sleep...have too much energy in the evenings
    More energy during the day
    Eating less
    i seem to have shrunk...does cycling pump up your muscles.
    I can wear makeup and perfume to work
    I keep looking out for Harry 1.0
    Talent spotting from the top of the bus is good fun.
    Not many people seem to be using the new rent a bike scheme
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    moonio wrote:
    My new Harry 2.0 should be arriving in the next couple of weeks :)
    Hurrah for Harry 2.0! :D

The King is dead! Long live the King!
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Hey Moonio, congrats on Harry 2 and Princess Brompton when she arrives :D