Bike Weight...all that important ??

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    Once traction is achieved, any more weight (bike or rider) is a penalty.
    That's actually what I've been trying to say, although in a far more eloquent way. :lol:

EDIT:
    hmm, there I go again. What I mean is YOU said it in a more eloquent way than I did! :oops:
  • Anonymous
    so does everyone maintain their current physical build purely for cycling? do we not do anything else apart from ride bikes?
  • Anonymous
    njee20 does. He cares more about weight than he does breathing. His bike is also the lightest (and definitely NOT the ugliest) of all bikes. Anyone who has a lighter bike than him must have broken scales.
    He cares so much about weight that he has no time for the simple pleasures of a lime on a string.
    This is fact
    :lol:
  • Anonymous
    njee20 does. He cares more about weight than he does breathing. His bike is also the lightest (and definitely NOT the ugliest) of all bikes. Anyone who has a lighter bike than him must have broken scales.
    He cares so much about weight that he has no time for the simple pleasures of a lime on a string.
    This is fact

he needs a lime, a string, a coffee jar and some warmed up pigs liver. i reckon i lost about a pound the last time i collated those objects.
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    What have I learned over the past 7 pages ?

1. Bike weight, very important to those people who have light bikes, not so important to those with heavy bikes.

2. Some people can be really anal at times.
  • Anonymous
    *AL* wrote:

1. Bike weight, very important to those people who like anal, not so important to those with heavy bikes.

2. Lime on a string solves all problems.
  • Anonymous
    he always speaks sense that man.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Aye, it's all true... :roll:

I don't 'maintain a physical build' at all, I ride a bike lots, I tend to stay pretty lean, if I stop riding, I get fat!

I have a light, relatively ugly, bike, there are lighter (although not alu Marins with heavy wheels ;-)) , there are uglier. It goes quite quickly under me, it would go a lot faster under someone fitter, it's the quickest (and lightest) bike I've owned, so I like it, whether the weight and speed are directly proportional is another question. It's fairly irrelevant, I'll sell it at the end of the season and get something else for next year which will probably be lighter.

Is it not common sense that those with light bikes think it makes a bigger difference? If you don't think it's gonna make a difference why throw money at it? What is amusing is the average weight of riders on Weight Weenies, there's a lot of 110kg+ guys on 18lb bikes!
  • Anonymous
    Scandium though.
    Just saying...
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,096
    urm, I just like riding my bikes :oops:
  • njee20
    And what proportion of the frame is scandium? It's an aluminium frame, alloyed with numerous things, including scandium, but that's getting rather anal!
    urm, I just like riding my bikes

Yep me too, and I'm lucky enough that someone thinks I'm good enough to give me a bike for a hefty discount, I wouldn't care about the weight so much otherwise!
  • Anonymous
    PMSL
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    1. Bike weight, very important to those people who like anal,]

Have to admit, you've got me.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    *AL* wrote:

1. Bike weight, very important to those people who do proper race XC and/or love climbs. Less important to those who are just out for weekend recreation, fun, freeriders, DH'ers, etc

IMHO ;)

Actually, I reckon you can categorise it into...

1. Those who wear the lycra and use SPDs and,
    2. The rest of us.

:P
  • Hmm, just read all of this and I am rather bemused by the people who say they couldn't use a bike over 30lbs. My bike is 36/37 lbs and I seem to go up hills just fine. Simply get fitter! :lol:
    92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
  • Anonymous
    They just spend too much energy worrying about the weight, they have no energy or strength left to actually get up hills, I suspect.
    Probably all that tight clothing restricting blood supply as well, you know.
  • they probably forget to ride with the saddle :X
  • njee20
    Just when the thread's coming to a conclusion you get a statement like that!

Of course it goes up hill just fine, but it's slower than a similar 30lb bike, if that doesn't bother you, and the bike rides better downhill because of the increased weight then great!

I would like to point out that despite my serious weight-consciousness I am firmly in the 'horses for courses' camp, and would happily ride a 35lb bike if it suited my riding style!
  • Anonymous
    njee20 wrote:
    Oh give it a rest. Do you not get that we're just being silly?
  • njee20 wrote:
    Oh give it a rest. Do you not get that we're just being silly?

Oh well, at least somebody understood
    92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    ive gone from a 27lb 575 to a 31lb nomad and the extra 4lb has made no diffrence what so ever, id even say the nomad is faster on the climbs.
  • Northwind
    Yeah, but there's huge other changes there too, you need to compare a 27lb 575 to a 31 lb 575 to get a meaningful comparison.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    well yeah i supose your right, but i really dont think you will notice a few lb unless your constantly on your fitness limit for a few hours, ie: xc racing.

the only weight i find to make a diffrence is rotational mass.
  • Northwind
    richg1979 wrote:
    well yeah i supose your right, but i really dont think you will notice a few lb unless your constantly on your fitness limit for a few hours, ie: xc racing.

I think I do. But I couldn't swear by it, after all you can do the same ride twice on the exact same bike and feel shattered one day and fine another so it's hard to say what's really causing it. Same with everything else really.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Oh dear... :roll:

I am extremely obsessed with losing every gramm possible from my bikes. This is most prevelant with my Giant NRS, which is the bike I race. I'll 'tune' components by replacing metal parts with carbon fibre ones, replace steel bolts with alloy or Ti ones (and I'll remove excess thread of these as well). I have spreasheets which detail every component and its weight. I weight each component on a set of digital scales prior to fitteing. I'll play with these on the spreadsheet, looking at where I can shed even more weight. The target is to get it sub 20lbs (currently 23.3lbs).

Does it make me a faster rider? Probably not.

Does it make me 'feel' good on the bike? Definitely.

Also, on your last lap of a 24hr event, you really appreciate those few gramms you've lost as you drap yourself up the climbs... :D
  • Tartanyak
    Tartanyak Posts: 1,538
    Oh dear... :roll:

I am extremely obsessed with losing every gramm possible from my bikes. This is most prevelant with my Giant NRS, which is the bike I race. I'll 'tune' components by replacing metal parts with carbon fibre ones, replace steel bolts with alloy or Ti ones (and I'll remove excess thread of these as well). I have spreasheets which detail every component and its weight. I weight each component on a set of digital scales prior to fitteing. I'll play with these on the spreadsheet, looking at where I can shed even more weight. The target is to get it sub 20lbs (currently 23.3lbs).

Does it make me a faster rider? Probably not.

Does it make me 'feel' good on the bike? Definitely.

Also, on your last lap of a 24hr event, you really appreciate those few gramms you've lost as you drap yourself up the climbs... :D

I must steal your NRS and compare it to my coiler at some point... I suspect it'd be like removing all my internal organs.
  • Anonymous
    Going from a coilair to an NRS would be a horrific experience, if you like the coilair, I reckon.
    I tried an NRS at a demo day, and did not like it one bit. But then, it's a race XC bike, really, not my kind of thing at all.
    (it's still fun to try loads of random bikes at demo days though!)
  • Tartanyak
    Tartanyak Posts: 1,538
    I have a flat bar road bike and the coiler. If I try to bunny hop the road bike after riding the coiler for a bit, I tend to shatter both wrists and ankles.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Going from a coilair to an NRS would be a horrific experience, if you like the coilair, I reckon.
    I tried an NRS at a demo day, and did not like it one bit. But then, it's a race XC bike, really, not my kind of thing at all.
    (it's still fun to try loads of random bikes at demo days though!)

I also have a Coiler, a 2004 Dee-Lux model... Completely different from the NRS. Coiler is the play/trail bike whereas the NRS is an out and out racer bike. Each bike functions perfectly in its own way.

Oh and for the record, my Coiler is a shade under 30lbs... :D
  • Anonymous
    You must know what I mean then, it's almost like the antithesis of a coilair.