Iphone 4 holder

5parky
5parky Posts: 49
edited October 2010 in MTB general
Anyone recommend a holder to attach to handlebars?

Needs to be one that protects it very well in case of unscheduled dismounts. :wink:

Thanks

Comments

• Mr Wu
    Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
    Why on earth would you want to mount your phone on your handlebars?
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Perfect for reading GPS/maps/cycle apps from the iPhone

RAM part number: RAP-274-1-AP9U iPhone 4 EZ-ON

rap2741ap9.jpg

I have the 3GS version and its very secure. If you mount the phone on or near the stem, the rise of the bars will protect it in a wipe out.

At the moment I can only see the iPhone 4 cradle for sale in the US.

RAM UK are at http://www.ram-mount-uk.com/index.htm and will have it before anyone else. They may even have them in now.

ETA - Its worth calling Ram UK as their web site search is awful.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    that looks a great idea.....NOT.

crash........smash.........look...my phone is in 15693746287 peices now!

solution to a problem that doesn't exist?
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Bar Shaker
    If I came off badly enough to smash an iPhone into pieces, the phone would be the least of my worries.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    If I came off badly enough to smash an iPhone into pieces, the phone would be the least of my worries.

sure, i have known a few people that are crying now as there phones don't work but they are fine.

also don't forget Apple don't cover water damage.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Bar Shaker
    Nick the water damage is a good point and I have had to put the phone in my pocket several times as it has started raining. That said, the sweat through my jersey has probably set off all the water damage sensors anyway.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • handon94
    handon94 Posts: 137
    lol cant wait to see someone crash with a £500 phone attached to the bars its going to be hilarious watching them scrape it off the floor :)
    diamondback LS02
    giant talon 2 -http://s867.photobucket.com/albums/ab236/handon_2010/?action=view&current=Photo0069.jpg&newest=1

"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Bar Shaker wrote:

You can damage an iPhone just by dropping it, so even the mildest crash will do some serious damage to the phone, and next to nothing to the bike. I love mine as much as the next guy, but they're mostly form over function.

Apple's water damage policy is utter crap. There's sensors in the dock connector and the headphone jack that you can set off just with sweat or a raindrop.

I keep mine in my pocket, and either take it out to look at the GPS, or just read a printed OS map.
  • Bar Shaker
    Mines fully insured so I am not too bothered.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • cee
    Bar Shaker wrote:

i reckon you could smash the phone in that mount to pieces without actually falling off thoug... clipped any trees recently... i know i have....

still not sure turn by turn GPS on a bike is needed. I use mine to track my routes...using endomondo, but the phone lives in my pack.

We do some pretty big rides in the highlands (commonly need 2 maps...sometimes 3)....so maps are needed when trails become vague, or there are a number of forks etc...

I can honestly say that the OS Landranger series map is the weapon of choice for this, but even with this....its not like we constanly need to keep checking them...

If you are using it for riding in towns where you need to go places that you don't know, then fair enough....but trails are not like roads...i stand by my assertion that it is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • scotto
    scotto Posts: 381
    cee wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

i reckon you could smash the phone in that mount to pieces without actually falling off thoug... clipped any trees recently... i know i have....

still not sure turn by turn GPS on a bike is needed. I use mine to track my routes...using endomondo, but the phone lives in my pack.

We do some pretty big rides in the highlands (commonly need 2 maps...sometimes 3)....so maps are needed when trails become vague, or there are a number of forks etc...

I can honestly say that the OS Landranger series map is the weapon of choice for this, but even with this....its not like we constanly need to keep checking them...

If you are using it for riding in towns where you need to go places that you don't know, then fair enough....but trails are not like roads...i stand by my assertion that it is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

err getting lost and wanting to get back to where your motor is parked is a problem that exists trust me :-)

annoys me when people say gps is not a replacement for a map, well it is if you have issues reading them, what I weant a garmin for is to take me back to where I started via the record route thingy, very useful, for me anyway.

anyone ever heard of one of these units failing?
  • sm1thson
    sm1thson Posts: 47
    for using gps on my phone (gps route tracking, and the on glimpse of google maps when i dont know where i am) I strap it to my arm on one of those arm band things joggers use, the armband case gives it some extra protection.. It can be a bit annoying, for looking at it it needs to be on the forearm but thats not good on rough trails so then it goes up on the biceps, but its a bit annoying there, but there has to be compromises!
  • Bar Shaker
    The tree point is a good one and that is why I have mine mounted next to the front of the stem. You would not put it on as that RAM illustration.

I probably use mine on 30-50% of my rides. I plan my general route with an OS, load waypoints into the iPhone app or create a .gpx route and load that up, then use FPs and trails or tracks to get to the next waypoint. I rarely take out a back pack and putting OS maps in jersey back pockets means the maps get soaking with sweat.

Any type of GPS system is not for everyone and I don't use my phone in the craddle when I know the route. That said, I always have the phone on me, especially when riding alone. If I did have a big smash, being able to read out OS co-ordinates is going to get help to you much quicker. If you are not in a state to make a call, your phone can still be triangulated if you are known to be missing.

I have also received calls when I haven't wanted to stop. You just put the call on speaker and carry on peddling :D
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • cee
    scotto wrote:

err getting lost and wanting to get back to where your motor is parked is a problem that exists trust me :-)

annoys me when people say gps is not a replacement for a map, well it is if you have issues reading them, what I weant a garmin for is to take me back to where I started via the record route thingy, very useful, for me anyway.

i have to say, that while i have been lost before...retracing my steps has never required a map or a gps....

even IF it did....you still dont need to have it on your bars giving you turn by turn directions...a quick check of a map (either paper or digital) will point to the right kind of direction, from where I can remember where i have come from, or see a different route.

Have you really been so lost that you couldn't get back to your vehicle? How did you manage without the GPS or map that time?

if my phone rings when i am riding....i just ignore it...my phone has an awesome feature that when I am not available for whatever reason, the caller can leave a message. The phone even gives me a list of people from whom I have missed calls.

In the middle of nowhere....its not like I am going to be able to do anything in an emergency for someone anyway is it.

H.G. Wells.
  • cee
    having said all that...i suppose different people will have different sense of direction issues. I have a really good sense of direction and a homing beacon like instinct for getting to where I have come from.

H.G. Wells.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    Perfect for reading GPS/maps/cycle apps from the iPhone

RAM part number: RAP-274-1-AP9U iPhone 4 EZ-ON

rap2741ap9.jpg

feck me , you might as well gaffer tape a laptop to your handle bars :lol:
    seriously , you really need to bolt the thing where its gonna get totalled at the first crash ?
    stupid , stupid idea.
  • Bar Shaker
    We are all in agreement on that one Biff.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • scotto
    scotto Posts: 381
    cee wrote:
    scotto wrote:

i have to say, that while i have been lost before...retracing my steps has never required a map or a gps....

Have you really been so lost that you couldn't get back to your vehicle? How did you manage without the GPS or map that time?

yes have been that lost, just last week, added an hour onto a 3 hour ride, managed to blag it back, not talking trail centres here, just go out and find stuff type ride and see what happens.

you sound like a genius you are lost but you do not need a gps or a map to find your way back, if that is the case then you are in fact not lost at all because you obviously knew the way back :-)
  • Mr Wu
    I'm guessing that whichever bafoon has this clipped to their handlebars will also have one of those Bluetooth things hanging out the ear too.

Nice.
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    I have just got a better phone than the Iphone - go on forget the Apple lovein... I wouldn't dare put my HTC Desire on my bars. I would how ever put my Garmin Edge 705 because it is covered by Garmin and I will be putting my Nokia N95 with OS map on my bars at times but even this will be in Boxit phone holder and mount.
  • Mr Wu
    TowerRider wrote:
    I have just got a better phone than the Iphone - go on forget the Apple lovein... I wouldn't dare put my HTC Desire on my bars. I would how ever put my Garmin Edge 705 because it is covered by Garmin and I will be putting my Nokia N95 with OS map on my bars at times but even this will be in Boxit phone holder and mount.

As, like many, a usual shameless promoter of all things iPhone I have to agree with you here. My missus has an HTC desire and it's a brilliant smart phone. Seriously considering getting one once I'm free from the shackles of this iPhone. The only thing that grips my sh!t about it is the "Market" why are the majorty of the applications in dollars?! Surely it's not that hard converting them for the UK tribe?
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    Mr Wu wrote:
    I'm guessing that whichever bafoon has this clipped to their handlebars will also have one of those Bluetooth things hanging out the ear too.

Nice.

:lol:
    you could just imagine some michael gekko wall street type shouting " buy , buy , sell , sell " into his headset whilst tearing down a trail centre track , furiously punching buttons on his handle bar mounted PDA.

and everyone thinking , what a w@nker.
  • Mr Wu
    biff55 wrote:
    Mr Wu wrote:

Nice.

you could just imagine some michael gekko wall street type shouting " buy , buy , sell , sell " into his headset whilst tearing down a trail centre track , furiously punching buttons on his handle bar mounted PDA.

and everyone thinking , what a w@nker.

Indeed. I fear the convo would go
    something like this.... " Yeah Hi Mike, just thought I'd give you a quick ring before I hammer it down this downhill route yar (actually on fire road).... This new bike I've spent my bonus on is ama.................

The split second silence from this point on would be the point at which I'd just D'Lock'DD his, rad to the power of sickness, Bluetooth ear piece. Having made the mistake thinking it was something dangerous about to relieve itself in his ear canal.
  • gbrnole
    gbrnole Posts: 395
    I need a way of using the iphone HD video recording to capture some nice descents :?:
    Ibis Mojo SL-r
  • Mr Wu
    Get a proper helmet cam.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have nothing against iPhones, they are incredible bits of kit.

But they do seem to be a Jack Of All Trades. The clue is in the name - iPhone - if you want it to do something else, your best looking for something designed to do it.

I have a phone for phone calls and txts, a camera to take pictures and a Garmin for my bike needs. Yes I carry 3 bits of kit round, but they all work 100% for what they are designed to do. Plus if one brakes, the other two still work.
  • Bar Shaker
    PMSL at this thread.

I'd just like to clarify a couple of things... I am not Gordon Gecko and am in brickwork rather than international corporate finance. Second, anyone riding round a trail centre with a phone on their bars should be badly beaten. Third,the idea that any HTC (I have had 2) could ever be better than the iPhone really made me chuckle. Thanks.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • 5parky
    5parky Posts: 49
    Some interesting replies there, lmao.

The RAM holder looks ok but probably a little fragile for the task, I'll be doing road/off road so I have a feeling that the unit will pop out.

I usually have my iphone in my Camel, so however and where placed there's the potential for damage if I have an unscheduled dismount, but what I don't want is it to pop out so i'll be needing with some sort of dampering.

The search continues....................
  • Mr Wu
    The search continues for something that's a stupid idea....
  • cee
    scotto wrote:

you sound like a genius you are lost but you do not need a gps or a map to find your way back, if that is the case then you are in fact not lost at all because you obviously knew the way back :-)

no...its easy....you simply turn around and go back the way you came...you do know the way...you have just come that way! Follow the tyre prints?

still never been that lost.

H.G. Wells.