If you had 1 month tax free - wishful thinking

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
If you had 1 month tax free pay cheque what bike/bike parts would you buy?

Me?

Fulcrum Racing 1's for the Kharma.

New commuter frame minus wheels (it would get the Kharma's old wheels).

Wilier Izoard with either an Athena or Chorus groups set.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    If you had 1 month tax free pay cheque what bike/bike parts would you buy? ....

Is this a subtle (sic) way of determining contributors' incomes?

Cheers,
    W.
  • DonDaddyD
    I really wasn't even thinking that when I started the thread but upon posting I thought ^ ^ someone cynical ^ ^ would think that.

Some people earn less than me, some people earn more. We all pay tax, we all fear but welcome spending cuts. It's not that big a deal.

I guess I'll go back to lurking....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    7330 Mars bars (from poundland) :P
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • I'd spend it all on hookers and gin. Just like every month.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    sorry you'd get all of that with just your tax!? fuck me thats a big salary.
  • essexian
    essexian Posts: 187
    Are we allowed to have a free month of National Insurance as well (it is a tax afterall).

If so, I would have just about enough to get a new Dahon Speed Pro TT off ebay.

Yes, I fancy a folder. I'll get my coat.
  • prawny
    essexian wrote:
    Are we allowed to have a free month of National Insurance as well (it is a tax afterall).

If so, I would have just about enough to get a new Dahon Speed Pro TT off ebay.

Yes, I fancy a folder. I'll get my coat.

I want one too, absolutely no point in having one round our way though unless you live in a flat or something. I fancy a birdy.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited August 2010
    A Civia Bryant Alfine.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Invest it on either red or black, to double my buying power 8)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Hey DDD you been fired already :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    spasypaddy wrote:
    sorry you'd get all of that with just your tax!? fark me thats a big salary.

He can't count
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I'd wish for 3 more wishes
  • DonDaddyD
    itboffin wrote:

This is reseach.

A poll will follow.

You can't get sacked in the public sector... not possible, the union's have abolished it. They just go on long term sick leave instead...
    Food Chain number = 4

• spasypaddy
    im still trying to get my head around how you are taxed upwards of 2.5k a month to be able to afford all of that. That would put you on over £100,000 a year!
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    spasypaddy wrote:
    im still trying to get my head around how you are taxed upwards of 2.5k a month to be able to afford all of that. That would put you on over £100,000 a year!
    He still can't count.
  • spasypaddy
    that was without taking into account how much his frame would be for his commuter.

i need to get into the public sector
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    spasypaddy wrote:

Think you need to re-read DDD's post. He said 1 month tax free pay cheque which I take to mean 1 month pay before tax.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

This is reseach.

A poll will follow.

You can't get sacked in the public sector... not possible, the union's have abolished it. They just go on long term sick leave instead...

Oh but you can - you just have to try hard.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • prawny
    I think he means if you had one months gross salary to spend. I couln't buy anywhere near that many mars bars with what I get taxed.

Edit
    Rats too slow!
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    kelsen wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

Think you need to re-read DDD's post. He said 1 month tax free pay cheque which I take to mean 1 month pay before tax.

But the extra you have over your normal month's pay cheque is the tax paid on your behalf.

So that's surely the extra spending money you have for toys.

Else why specify tax free? Why not just say "if you had an extra month's pay as toy money?".
  • spasypaddy
    and aidy spots my point. you'd still have your rent, food, and stuff to buy. so you'd only have the difference between your normal take home and your gross!

Herts boys sticking together 8)
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i'd probably buy a new (new to me at least) car. although that might have to happen this month anyway as MOT is due and well...the current one is a hardly nubile 17 year old!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    You should NOT be referring to a car - any car - as nubile, even in the negative. It conjures up images of people who are a little *too* fond of their car.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    I think he means if you had one months gross salary to spend. I couln't buy anywhere near that many mars bars with what I get taxed.

This!

Sorry for the confusion.
    Food Chain number = 4

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    oh... a months gross salary...

jings.....

probably a much newer car than the one i would have got on the tax alone?

maybe a Volvo T5 R estate?
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • essexian
    essexian Posts: 187
    edited August 2010
    Gross salary....oh, I thought you meant how much tax and NI you would save.

Well then, can I have one of these please: http://www.airnimal.eu/Chameleon/Ultima.php

Might have to get a couple of hundred knocked off the list price but for cash.....

Always fancied (well since I started riding again a year ago) a fast folder as I spend many a night away in crap hotels with nothing to do whilst on business. A ride out would be a nice way to round off the evening.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,182
    Tricky one - do I buy the road bike I've been eyeing up or a long travel MTB? Decisions decisions :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • beegee
    beegee Posts: 160
    I'm sorry - how much does a mars bar cost ? How many in the packet from poundland. And (OT) why does the website play the music from some computer game and even after I click the speaker symbol to get rid of it does it come back ?
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    DonDaddyD wrote:

This!

Sorry for the confusion.
    I still make that lot over £4k, unless I've missed something on the bargains thread..

DDD, if I take two beans, and add these three beans, how many beans do I have?
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    A small contribution (I definitely don't earn enough to get one on a month's salary) towards one of these, or its bigger brothers......
    mitus.jpg
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011