Giant Rapid 3 or Sirrus Sport? Dilemma!

Badass01
Badass01 Posts: 13
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
Hi guys

This is my first post and hopefully one of many.

I've got a bit of a dilemma. I want to get a new bike to get around town, enjoy and possibly commute to and from work.

My work is 10 miles away, so its a 20 mile round trip.

I'd like to get either the Sirrus Sport or Giant Rapid 3. I had a test ride on both yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed my ride on them.

I'm now torn between the two.

I love the look of the Giant but also understand the practicality of the Sirrus. As i understood, it would be hard getting any mudguards on the Giant, for example.

I also believe they both have carbon forks, although am not sure.

I'd like some advice in the hope that it may make my decision easier. They are both excellent bikes and if anybody has recommendations for similar spec bikes for the same price, I'd be interested, although I have scanned every major brand. I can't go over the price of £550.

I know I should be getting a bike that's fit for its purpose, but I'm struggling with this one.

http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.u ... US%20SPORT

OR

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... 866/38972/

Many thanks

Comments

• jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    My girlfriend is looking for a similar bike and we both rode on a Sirrus Sport on the weekend. It seems like a decent bike to me - changing gears wasn't especially smooth, but that was probably just a matter of adjustment. The Boardman hybrid comp is just under £500 and might be worth a look, too.
  • Badass01
    jamesco wrote:
    My girlfriend is looking for a similar bike and we both rode on a Sirrus Sport on the weekend. It seems like a decent bike to me - changing gears wasn't especially smooth, but that was probably just a matter of adjustment. The Boardman hybrid comp is just under £500 and might be worth a look, too.
    Thanks!

Yes I found the gear changing on the Sirrus Sport not as smooth as the Giant.

The Boardman Hybrid Comp doesn't have carbon forks, which is what I'm after.
  • Trek's FX range are nice machines. I got the 7.5fx for £550.

Light, comfortable and quick. Not had a single problem with it either.
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Just to add a twist: I called a shop to arrange a ride on a 2011 Spec Vita (the womens version of the Sirrus) and the bloke said that the 2011 model priced at £549 had the same spec as the 2010 model at £649 - his explanation was that Shimano had dropped their component prices, evening out the increase they made in 2010, so prices were back to 2009 levels. It might be worth checking out the 2011 models specifically. Sorry to make your choice more complicated :P
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    The Giant Rapid will take mudguards, Giant make a set for the Defy/Avail range which is essentially the Rapid/Dash range with drop bars. I have a Rapid 1 on order and will pick it up with mudguards as it's going to be my all-year commuter...
    Rules are for fools.
  • Badass01
    jamesco wrote:
    Just to add a twist: I called a shop to arrange a ride on a 2011 Spec Vita (the womens version of the Sirrus) and the bloke said that the 2011 model priced at £549 had the same spec as the 2010 model at £649 - his explanation was that Shimano had dropped their component prices, evening out the increase they made in 2010, so prices were back to 2009 levels. It might be worth checking out the 2011 models specifically. Sorry to make your choice more complicated :P
    Aaah no worries mate, Ihappen to have a ride to work voucher which I have to use by next week. So I won't be able to get a 2011 model anyway!

Sounds like I'm missing out though!
  • I have a 2010 Sirrus Sport and although its ok I would not buy another. Go for the Giant. The gears are rubbish on the Spesh. The Sirrus has a very relaxed geometry and takes some getting used too.
  • sicknewt
    sicknewt Posts: 181
    I have a Giant FCR (an older version of the Rapid). It's a really nice bike and good to commute on but does struggle on rougher roads.

I love the lightness and speed of my FCR but do wish I'd got something that was more of a hybrid so I could run chunky tires.

As Waddlie said, you can get mudguards on the Rapid - if nothing else Crud Road Racers will fit... http://www.cyclelife.com/Product.aspx?pc=2&pt=125&pg=6271
  • the whole Sirrus range has changed. The Sport model no longer has carbon fact forks, nor does it have the bg bar ends. all those have switched to the Sirrus Elite model. which means the price is identical to the rapid
  • the whole Sirrus range has changed. The Sport model no longer has carbon fact forks, nor does it have the bg bar ends. all those have switched to the Sirrus Elite model. which means the price is identical to the rapid

Just noticed that yesterday myself. That was one of the reasons I got the Sport for the carbon fork which does a really good job of reducing road vibes etc. In fact I was not sure about the bar ends either but now I have them I find I use them all the time and only switch to the horizontal hand position when I want to brake or shift a gear.
  • I cant make up my mind if i should go for the Sirrus Elite 2011 (fast, light,but with cartidge brakes) or the Giant CRS 1 with disk brakes. i have no idea how light this is, although i am waiting for wiggle to answer my question. this bike is supposed to be £595 compaired to the Sirrus at £549. But wiggle has the Giant on at £505 and Tredz has it for £499.
  • chrishumes
    chrishumes Posts: 227
    ridgeback flight
  • bobnudd
    bobnudd Posts: 15
    Sorry to barge in here, but I was looking to get a Rapid 3 this week, but my Giant store told me that they are not getting anymore stock in. They said that new models would be released mid-September but couldn't tell me anymore about them - price, etc.
    Does anyone know if the Rapid series is going to continue through next year?
  • Badass01
    the whole Sirrus range has changed. The Sport model no longer has carbon fact forks, nor does it have the bg bar ends. all those have switched to the Sirrus Elite model. which means the price is identical to the rapid
    yes i noticed this recently.

have managed to get another couple of months added to my cycle scheme voucher so have got more time to consider now, especially as the 2011 models are coming out...
    chrishumes wrote:
    ridgeback flight

why? the flight is a lovely bike, although the one with carbon forks is £649.99 which is £150 over my budget.
    I cant make up my mind if i should go for the Sirrus Elite 2011 (fast, light,but with cartidge brakes) or the Giant CRS 1 with disk brakes. i have no idea how light this is, although i am waiting for wiggle to answer my question. this bike is supposed to be £595 compaired to the Sirrus at £549. But wiggle has the Giant on at £505 and Tredz has it for £499.
    Depends what kind of ride you want. The Giant CRS seems a much more relaxed ride, not one for long distances...
    sicknewt wrote:

Nice! Might have to see what the 2011 model reviews are like...
  • waddlie
    IMG_0940.jpg

My shiny Rapid 1 (2010 model) with full length mudguards. :)
    Rules are for fools.
  • Badass01
    Waddlie wrote:
    IMG_0940.jpg

nice!
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    My brother rides a Sirrus and has had no issues with gears. I think perhaps one or two shops have not had the fiddle they need to get them smooth.

The sirrus has a slightly better frame from recollection, though the Giant is lighter. Though this is from my recollection of the 2009 models. Personally I think they're so close you might as well decide based on frame colour. :D
  • I ride a Giant Rapid 3 and bloomin' love it. Had it for nearly 4 weeks. However, I've only ever ridden mountain bikes, a Dawes Discovery Hybrid and a Dawes Giro racer in the past.

The Rapid 3, in my view, is light, comfortable, sturdy, great to look at. I ride anything from 10 to 60 miles at a time. Ideal for commuting given the flats and bar ends, although I might consider getting some drops in the future for longer distance rides.

One issue I'm having with mine is the smoothness of the gears although I'm 99% sure this is down to the set up (will be taking it to the shop for my free service soon) - the gears that do work 'properly' are extremely smooth and quick.

I'm quite impressed with the tyres too - this weekend's 60 miler went through some fairly rough ground, loads of people were getting punctures around me but I sailed through.
    Giant Rapid 3
  • jockorr
    jockorr Posts: 17
    Waddlie wrote:
    IMG_0940.jpg

That Sir is a very nice bike indeed!!!

I am also on the look out for a commuter, my limit too is £550. Mainly road with the odd path/short cut etc etc. \did the mudguards come fitted? Dare I ask the price you paid?

Thanks folks the advice and time you all give is appreciated.

cheers

Giant Rapid 3 V Specialized Sirrus Elite 2011
  • waddlie
    jockorr wrote:
    Waddlie wrote:
    IMG_0940.jpg

That Sir is a very nice bike indeed!!!

I am also on the look out for a commuter, my limit too is £550. Mainly road with the odd path/short cut etc etc. \did the mudguards come fitted? Dare I ask the price you paid?

Thanks folks the advice and time you all give is appreciated.

cheers

Thanks, it was £795 for the bike and £25 for the mudguards. It's fantastic on the road but I suspect would be spectacularly bad on anything slippy. It's more of a flatbar road bike than a true hybrid. Cycle Surgery are currently doing the next model down, the Rapid 2 for £549 reduced from £695 which is an out and out bargain and looks even nicer.

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/giant-rapid-2-10/urban/bikes-components-bikewear/fcp-product/10276

You won't get a better bike for the price.
    Rules are for fools.
  • jockorr
    edited August 2010
    Cheers Waddlie,

Am popping to the giant shop in yarm today for a look at the rapid 2, then will buy from cyclesurgery if local dealer can't match the price and I want the rapid.

I know I am asking to get spoon fed here so thanks for peoples help in adavance.

The bike I am after will only be used for up to approx 15 miles a day all in. Mainly roads/paths etc with the odd curb mount and demount as roundabouts are mental on he route and there are no cycle lanes! Would the rapid be ideal? Or should I be looking fot something like the giant CRS etc as the look a bit more robust than the giant rapid.

I use a mountain bike ( rockhopper pro ) at the moment just fancy something lighter/smoother/faster etc.

With a budget of £550 and the patience to wait til 2011 models come out if needed.

Should I......

A: wait to see new line up and prices

B: Get the Rapid 2 if it suits me

C: Explore the Giant CRS or other model

I know I am asking a lot of you guys and gals, thanks for helping out a newbie.

Many thanks
  • jockorr
    Just been to the shop, I took a Giant Seek 3 out for a spin. The guy was suggesting that getting a rapid does not make sense, that I might as well get a true racer or a seek if I did not want a racer. The seek was nice.....now I have more to think about!!! Which is confusing when I am indecisive at the best of times...I think.
  • the seek is heavier than the CRS1. you can get that from tredz for £499. I am considering it myself, as i want something light with disk brakes
  • jockorr
    Cheers Richard,

Yeah I have ruled out the CRS from the running, the seek was a nice ride.
    Will have to give it some thought.

Cheers
  • jockorr
    the seek is heavier than the CRS1. you can get that from tredz for £499. I am considering it myself, as i want something light with disk brakes

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Seek-3-20 ... _28419.htm

Seek 3 is £545 on tredz matey
  • i meant the CRS1 was £499 on tredz £505 on wiggle and is lighter than the seek 3
    25.07lbs/11.56kg vs 27.03lbs/12.34kg

not much in it i suppose, and the frame geometry is a little different. i guess its a question of looks
  • waddlie
    If you've already got a HT MTB, there might not be a huge difference between that and a Seek. Bike shop man was talking bolx - possibly because he didn't have the Rapid in stock but still wanted to sell you something? The Rapid is basically a Defy with a flat bar and altered geometry. It's fine up and down kerbs as long as you don't weight 30 stone and lighten yourself over them. Oh, and I'd not recommend waiting for next year's either if the 2009 to 2010 changes were anything to go by...
    Rules are for fools.
  • a spanner in your works
    http://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.p ... 0&o=105477

something to consider
  • jockorr
    Waddlie wrote:
    If you've already got a HT MTB, there might not be a huge difference between that and a Seek. Bike shop man was talking bolx - possibly because he didn't have the Rapid in stock but still wanted to sell you something? The Rapid is basically a Defy with a flat bar and altered geometry. It's fine up and down kerbs as long as you don't weight 30 stone and lighten yourself over them. Oh, and I'd not recommend waiting for next year's either if the 2009 to 2010 changes were anything to go by...

Cheers,

Yeah he was talking balls, as I had read on here that Giant had redesigned the geometry of the frame and not just stuck on a flat bar. He said no not one thing has changed apart from a shorter stem. I think he did want to shift the Seek myself. Yeah am not 30 stone....yet, though the spread is spreading!! At an alarming rate.

Richard cheers,

Yeah am looking at the sirrus, from all account the sirrus sport and rapid 3 are evenly matched, so it is down to preference and cost. Are you any further along the descision making process?

Cheers again folks appreciated