BMC kit going cheap?

Comments

• Slimbods
    Slimbods Posts: 321
    Look at this page:

http://www.bmc-racing.com/int-en/team/shop.html

Shows that they have two lines, the 'team' Hincape line and the replica line. Found this on ebay which appears to be the replica line, but the cap has a hincape label:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMC-Racing-Team-R ... 500wt_1119

I'm guessing the jersey and bibs are china jobs and the official hincape stuff + cap is the real thing. I don't think its Assos, that stuff was black n white.
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    The BMC kit shown in the ebay listing is the chinese 'fake' stuff, I have a black and white BMC Assos set, quite good it is too.

TBH I doubt very much if the official BMC Team site is selling Chinese fake/snide clothing. I would hope it as previous posters have suggested pre-sponsorship stuff. We will see soon enough though..... :? or maybe they are! Weird, tell by the chammy.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • shisaa
    shisaa Posts: 82
    While I was following the end of the Tour I did notice they were selling BMC shirt and shorts for 50 euros, in one of the stalls near the stage finish at Bordeaux. Most of the other kits were 80 euros just for the shorts, but they had sold out the BMC sets. So I would assume they are genuine. It's definitely worth a punt.
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    i doesnt go with my Scott or Bianchi but im a sucker for a bargin. Does anybody know how these size up Im 5"8 and a smidge under 80kg?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If it doesn't match your bike - have a look at the chinese ebay kits - the stuff I've seen is decent quality and cheap.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    gwillis wrote:
    i doesnt go with my Scott or Bianchi but im a sucker for a bargin. Does anybody know how these size up Im 5"8 and a smidge under 80kg?

That's me pretty much spot on - I went for large on the basis of the heights and weight they suggested - hoping they don't come up too snug...!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    My daughter just ordered a set, will go well with her red/black BMC SLC01 Pro Machine. :D
  • Ordered a set yesterday. I guess there is probably going to be some duty to pay on top of the price as well?
    Ribble New Sportive
    Specialized Pitch Pro
  • proto
    Ordered a set yesterday. I guess there is probably going to be some duty to pay on top of the price as well?

And VAT?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    proto wrote:
    Ordered a set yesterday. I guess there is probably going to be some duty to pay on top of the price as well?

And VAT?

Duty on imports IS the VAT. If they are shipped from Switzerland, then there should be VAT added on arrival (plus a hefty service charge from the carrier). If they are shipped from somewhere else in the EU, then there won't be any additional cost.

It may also depend on how they are sent - if just regular post, then they may slip through if it isn't properly declared and labeled, etc.
  • Pokerface
    Flanners1 wrote:
    am sure the owner of BMC owns Assos as well! Andy Rihs?

I did not know this - but it appears you are correct and Andy Rihs does indeed own Assos.

That would explain how/why the BMC replica clothing may appear to have Assos markings on it without actually BEING Assos clothing - and without breaking any copyright laws, etc.

If the stuff shows up (for anyone that ordered it) and it's Assos-quality, let along Assos-MADE, then they great a huge bargain. And I may be ordering a set myself!
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Incidentally it doesn't have THE Assos marking. That has the Assos A on some stripes. This one has the Swiss Flag on some Assos stripes.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Pokerface
    Incidentally it doesn't have THE Assos marking. That has the Assos A on some stripes. This one has the Swiss Flag on some Assos stripes.

+! - this is what I was saying before. It LOOKS like Assos - but Assos has the 'A', not a plus.
  • CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    thanks to the OP for the link, I've got involved

like some I'm not a team kit fan but I'm a sucker for a bargain, and i although i ride a Pinarello it just so happens to be in red :P

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    does anyone have any idea what the sizing is like?

i know the description says large = 175-183 cm / 75-88 kg but i have bought other kits this year (from wiggle/ probikekit etc) and they come up much smaller - despite what is said in the description.

any ideas? somehow im always in between sizing!
  • bendertherobot
    About half an hour ago a mate placed an order. Shortly after his details were present for all to see. They've been removed now.

He's an IT bod. He's had a dig and says the site is massively flawed. Just so that you know.
  • It is their official site too no?
  • bendertherobot
    It is their official site too no?

Yes.
  • JD_76
    JD_76 Posts: 236
    Just had a punt, £42 seems a good price.

Who ever gets them first post a review :wink:
  • proto
    Pokerface wrote:
    proto wrote:

And VAT?

Duty on imports IS the VAT. If they are shipped from Switzerland, then there should be VAT added on arrival (plus a hefty service charge from the carrier). If they are shipped from somewhere else in the EU, then there won't be any additional cost.

It may also depend on how they are sent - if just regular post, then they may slip through if it isn't properly declared and labeled, etc.

I'm no expert but I don't think you are right. Non EU country, so normal rules don't apply. Import Duty is import duty. VAT is applied to the new total. Possibly. :?
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    You pay import duty, and then you pay VAT on the total value of the goods plus the duty. The shipping company may also charge you a fee because they have to hold on to the package while you pay the import costs.

I've bought things from abroad a few times and I never was able to calculate the fees before I got billed for them :( . Typically the duty isn't too bad (c10%? ish), but then you get VAT and possibly a handling fee - so £35 goods + £3.5 duty + £6 VAT +£5 handling = £50ish?

I'm sure these'll still be well worth the money though :) . they're pretty low value and fairly close to the threshold (anything under €18 is exempt) so you might get away with it entirely if you're lucky. I got some Swissstop pads from Bellatisport in Switz once and they came through sans charges.
  • Sean1504
    Sean1504 Posts: 101
    About 6 weeks ago I noticed these and as I already had the Hincapie stuff I was amazed at the price differential. I sent them a message on twitter and got these replies:

BMCProTeam
    No, they are "replica" kits, which are not of the same material or exact color. They are of good quality.
    11:38 PM Jun 16th

BMCProTeam
    You're welcome. Actually, the bag that the replica kit comes in is worth $20 itself. The shorts are extremely comfortable with good chamois.
    12:00 AM Jun 17th
  • Pokerface
    proto wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    proto wrote:

And VAT?

I'm no expert but I don't think you are right. Non EU country, so normal rules don't apply. Import Duty is import duty. VAT is applied to the new total. Possibly. :?

When I've received items from abroad, I've typically just been charged VAT and a service charge. Never any duty. But maybe I was just lucky? There would be no tax or duty from an EU country as I said.
  • look forward to the first person to get these
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    They would match my new bike - but i dont REALLY need them....

Someone keep me away from the buttons please...
  • gwillis
    My Father just ordered 2 sets in m / l to be delivered to France so hopefully no tax to pay. The way look at it for the money its a good deal even though it doesnt match my rides. Wear it for a few seasons then punt it on on fleabay
  • mallinov
    mallinov Posts: 143
    Err.. Didn't think Switzerland was in the EU so probably will have to pay tax if the French spot it!!
  • gwillis
    havent a clue........ still wait and see
  • My set arrived today...but I'm at work at the moment so will have to wait till I get home to give feedback.

Plus, I wasnt hit with any customs charges!
  • I have some BMC official kit from 2008 and it hasnt lasted well, the Bib shorts weren't cheep and they have almost become see through, I'm sure this stuff will be better but i wont be buying any more.