BMC kit going cheap?

SLX01
SLX01 Posts: 338
edited February 2011 in Road buying advice
http://www.bmc-racing.com/shop/

BMC seem to be selling their full replica kit for under £50 including postage, the jerseys alone cost £50 in Evans......is there a catch?

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    End of the season? Lots of kit in stock they need to move before next year's starts appearing?
  • rich164h
    rich164h Posts: 433
    I saw those a while ago, then also saw the following which was linked from the same BMC webpage:

http://www.hincapie.com/products/specialty/bmc/

The difference in price is pretty big so I assumed they were competely different (albeit appearing identical) items. I hope I'm wrong though as I really like the BMC kit.

Looking more carefully, the ones in the combo pack don't have the Hincapie logos so presumably they are different and presumably lower quality item? :?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    rich164h wrote:
    Looking more carefully, the ones in the combo pack don't have the Hincapie logos so presumably they are different and presumably lower quality item? :?

replica.jpg

They seem to be Assos Logos
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • SLX01
    SLX01 Posts: 338
    rich164h wrote:
    I saw those a while ago, then also saw the following which was linked from the same BMC webpage:

http://www.hincapie.com/products/specialty/bmc/

The difference in price is pretty big so I assumed they were competely different (albeit appearing identical) items. I hope I'm wrong though as I really like the BMC kit.

I've just ordered some as they are nearly as cheap as the far east ebay jobbies I'll let you know what they are like when they arrive.
  • Pokerface
    Now that WOULD be a good deal - if they are selling off their old Assos kit for that price?
  • Looks good, not for me though I ride a Bianchi
  • Kingtut87
    Kingtut87 Posts: 105
    Kit looks quite nice and at that price for the full kit Im not going to say no. Worth a punt. So what if I dont ride for the BMC Pro team, I couldnt give a rats arse about that kind of kit snobbery :P
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Same as me KingTut - regardless of the team connotations - red and black is an awesome colour combo, and Assos shorts and jersey for £50? Yes please!!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I remain to be convinced they are actually Assos logos though, The shorts don't seem to have the normal Assos structure.

I'm thinking the "Assos" logos are actually "BMC +" and they just look similar.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The bits on the elastic at the bottom of the jersey and shorts do look like assos though but as you say, they don't have the make up of any Assos products.
  • TommyEss
    Exactly - but since I've lost the weight, I now have a lot of very baggy jerseys, and some pretty old bibs that could do with being chucked, so another pair won't hurt either way.

And then if they really do turn out to be Assos, well, awesome!

Will keep you posted.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    bigger image
    set.jpg

im unsure whether its assos or not
  • TommyEss
    Hmm... Certainly looks like the Assos "plus" symbol on the legs - and BMC and Assos are both Swiss - BMC certainly used to race in Assos...

Who knows - hopefully they'll turn up soon and we can put all your minds at rest!
  • Kingtut87
    Kingtut87 Posts: 105
    Pretty sure its not Assos, or even Hincapie kit, but at less than 50 quid for a replica jersey and shorts its still got to be a good deal.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Theres no way it would be assos at those prices. I wonder if theres been a mess up with the contract - and they;re getting shut of their non Hincapie kit ? AFAIK that was a major reason for big george to join - he's thinking of his clothing business for when he finishes ?

And I wonder if they're bibs or just shorts.
  • TommyEss
    Well - the pictures show bibs, not simply shorts - so I'd be miffed if they aren't bibs.

If they do turn out to *shock horror* not be Assos, then I won't really be miffed - I'll still have a nice looking jersey and bib set.
  • Pokerface
    The larger image reveals it is NOT Assos. Nor is it the Hincapie kit. I suspect it's the low-end replica stuff - but authorized by BMC (not the China fake stuff off eBay).

Probably produced before the Hincapie deal was signed, so that would explain why it's going 'cheap'.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    TommyEss wrote:
    Hmm... Certainly looks like the Assos "plus" symbol on the legs - and BMC and Assos are both Swiss - BMC certainly used to race in Assos...

Who knows - hopefully they'll turn up soon and we can put all your minds at rest!
    The shorts do have the relevant 'swiss Assos plus logos on as you say, but it actually depends on the insert. Pics when you get them eh Tommy?
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    That side panel on those shorts looks an awful lot ilke the Uno Logo version.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • have ordered a set for myself, thanks for the link!
  • TommyEss wrote:
    Hmm... Certainly looks like the Assos "plus" symbol on the legs - and BMC and Assos are both Swiss - BMC certainly used to race in Assos...!

Or it could just be a swiss flag
  • TommyEss
    Pics when you get them eh Tommy?

Roger that Ghostrider. The pattern is clear.
  • kinesin
    kinesin Posts: 100
    Well I ride a BMC so ordered a set. Thanks to the OP for the heads up!
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    I ride a BMC too!

So after a heads up from a club mate:

I've just ordered a set!

am sure the owner of BMC owns Assos as well! Andy Rihs?
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • look forward to first feedback on these as £40 is a bargain (hopefully)
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I have taken a punt - if they are Assos then £42 for shirt and shorts is too good to miss. If not, still a good deal and if I don't like them I'll just send them back! Pity I'm not a BMC fan really, but at least the colour scheme matches my (non BMC) bike!
  • dont think you can return them
  • EN: Only as a set, jersey and pants of the same size, available. No exchange
  • They were doing BMC jersey or shorts at BikeRadar Live for £40, on an Evans/BMC joint stall.

Didn't get a chance to check them out to see whether they were Hincapie or Assos, as it had closed by the time I got there, but I wonder if they were from the same left over stock, as I thought they were cheap at that price.

But this seems v cheap, assuming the quality is OK or better.

Will be interested to get some feedback on sizing when they arrive for anyone. Particular as I don't fit easily into a 'one size fits all' for shirt and bibs (probably an XXL or XL in the jersey, but a L in bibs down to length as much as anything)

Going by another site that is linked to from the BMC Facebook page "This BMC Team replica kit is produced by BMC and is based on the official Hincapie BMC Racing Team kit."

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=412937274680
    http://www.bikeshopswitzerland.com/free ... a-kit.html