House now suprisingly more empty

2»

Comments

• prawny wrote:
    I used to race Kayaks as a Junior, was in the GB junior squad too, don't know how I was shite.

I used this actual boat for a season in the late 90's

k1pic(mosq).jpg

That's not me in it though, that's my old mate Greg, he wasn't shite.

Lit, there's loads of canoe clubs down london way and a really healthy marathon and sprint racing scene, I wan't to get back into marathon racing, the tactics are a lot like cycling I was I'd realised that when I was racing I think I'd be much better at it know.

I met some lovely ladies through canoeing, slightly muscley shoulders tho, ho hum.

I have joined one! :D

However, the one I've joined seems to be more into 'surfing' and 'playboating' than anything else, and I'm a bit too grown-up for that!

They are lovely people though.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Aidy wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:
    How far is 'this far'?

Outside the M25 far :)

But only just.

careful - a lot of people here don't believe such a place exists... :wink:

I've come over all existential.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    prawny wrote:
    I used to race Kayaks as a Junior, was in the GB junior squad too, don't know how I was shite.

k1pic(mosq).jpg

Lit, there's loads of canoe clubs down london way and a really healthy marathon and sprint racing scene, I wan't to get back into marathon racing, the tactics are a lot like cycling I was I'd realised that when I was racing I think I'd be much better at it know.

I met some lovely ladies through canoeing, slightly muscley shoulders tho, ho hum.

However, the one I've joined seems to be more into 'surfing' and 'playboating' than anything else, and I'm a bit too grown-up for that!

Not sure which ones would be close to you (anything south of coventry is london to me), but good racing clubs in that kind of area are Elmbridge, Royal CC, Richmond, Reading, Bishops Stortford, Leighton Buzzard and Barking and Dagenham. Royal and Elmbridge produce some seriously good paddlers.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Asprilla wrote:
    Aidy wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:
    How far is 'this far'?

But only just.

Everything between the Thames and the Tyne is blank in my atlas, just a dotted line marked M1

which ends at Leeds.... have you ever actually ventured North of Watford Gap Services? :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Aidy wrote:
    Aidy wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:
    How far is 'this far'?

But only just.

I've come over all existential.

:shock: Is it safe out there? :shock:

Hmm, I've ventured out to Wellingborough and Birmingham before now so how bad could your 'manor' be? :wink: If the luxurious tent includes luxurious beds that could be my first camping experience right there :lol: How close are the neighbours?
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Always tempted by kayaking - did it briefly twice as a kid and want to do it more but am a shite swimmer...

That said I suspect my body shape would be quite suited to it... Hmmmmmmmmm
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Cafewanda
    MM

Yep, you suited to it.
  • prawny
    All this talk is really making me want to go back, my stupid old club trains before I get home from work until the kids bed time :cry:
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Cafewanda wrote:

Hmm, I've ventured out to Wellingborough and Birmingham before now so how bad could your 'manor' be? :wink: If the luxurious tent includes luxurious beds that could be my first camping experience right there :lol: How close are the neighbours?

There are both tents and spare room :p
  • Cafewanda
    I'll have to check my 'country' visa is up-to-date 8)
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Cafewanda wrote:
    I'll have to check my 'country' visa is up-to-date 8)

Yeah, but Aidy would have to have his jabs... Innoculation against you :D

Can't believe I was so mean after you were so nice... Ah well 8)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    prawny wrote:

k1pic(mosq).jpg

Regents? I used to do white water kayaking, I was shite tho, after my 3rd shoulder dislocation I graciously retired. WW / playboating / Surfing is much more fun than all this K1 nonsense though I reckon.
    <a>road</a>
  • prawny
    It's more fun yeah but that's not the point is it.

Mountain biking is more fun than road cycling but it's just not english :P

I went up to nottingham the other week with the family and I was amazed at how much palyboating has come on in the last 10 years, there was a 14 year old girl doing frontflips in the first stopper :shock:
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • White water looks fun, I agree, but the playboating just seems silly.

I'm not really sure what 'surfing' is in a kayak.
  • el_presidente
    prawny wrote:

I went up to nottingham the other week with the family and I was amazed at how much palyboating has come on in the last 10 years, there was a 14 year old girl doing frontflips in the first stopper :shock:

When you see the guys doing 360 loops etc it's amazing. I could just about do a flat spin and a flat water tail dip :(

the new course at Cardiff has a boat travelator so you do't even need to get out of the boat.
    <a>road</a>
  • el_presidente
    White water looks fun, I agree, but the playboating just seems silly.

I'm not really sure what 'surfing' is in a kayak.

Exactly the same as regular surfing. Paddle out, turn round and surf in on the wave. you can do spins etc as well. Sounds boring but when a 4ft wave picks you up and hurls you towards the shore it is really exhilarating. You do feel a bit of a tit with cag / bouyancy aid / helmet when the boardy next to you just has a shorty wetsuit on. They can get a bit annoyed if you run them over with a large kayak or bosh them with a paddle 8)
    <a>road</a>
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    please, kayaks represent the mtb and hybrids of the water world.

Get yourself a single scull and you'll get places much more quickly...
  • please, kayaks represent the mtb and hybrids of the water world.

:lol::lol:

Yeah, but a single scull a) costs a fortune and b) can't really go places like a kayak can.

And thanks for that explanation, I'm now adding 'surfing' to my list of 'stuff I have no real interest in doing in a kayak'
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    like a road bike...

but when i can go places it can go really really fast. Plus it has the added advantage that the primary muscles are pretty similar for rowing and cycling.
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    prawny wrote:

When you see the guys doing 360 loops etc it's amazing. I could just about do a flat spin and a flat water tail dip :(

the new course at Cardiff has a boat travelator so you do't even need to get out of the boat.

I understand the travelator bit but is any of the rest in English? :?
  • el_presidente

And thanks for that explanation, I'm now adding 'surfing' to my list of 'stuff I have no real interest in doing in a kayak'

awww, it is brilliant fun. Then you have a barby & some beers on the beach ... (or huddle in a freezing tent out of the rain)
    <a>road</a>
  • like a road bike...

but when i can go places it can go really really fast. Plus it has the added advantage that the primary muscles are pretty similar for rowing and cycling.

Fair point, well made.

The very day they invent a touring single scull with luggage space, I'll buy one.
  • please, kayaks represent the mtb and hybrids of the water world.

My eldest has got into racing kayaks. The road bikes of the water world?

Wey Kayak Club in Guildford - some seriously good paddlers there.

The triathlons look fun - paddle/run/cycle
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    A bit too Jerome K. Jerome? Maybe more something to do with a couple of friends rather than one your own - a bit tandem with trailer rather than tourer, but they do do one man versions.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • prawny

My eldest has got into racing kayaks. The road bikes of the water world?

Wey Kayak Club in Guildford - some seriously good paddlers there.

The triathlons look fun - paddle/run/cycle

Wey! I Thats the one I couldn't remeber, I used to knock around with a load of kids from wey back then I don't know if any of them are still paddling, we used to kip in the clubhouse the night before any european trips, ahh crazy days.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny

They aren't that much faster though really. The single scull 2000m world record is 6.40ish and the 1000m K1 record is 3.25ish.

You can't bunch race in a scull either, and you're facing the worng way.

Single sculls are the recumbents or the water, Racing kayaks the racings bikes and sea kayaks the hybrids :wink:
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123

Ah, but a single scull is very little use on Grade 4 ;-)

Try racing, but give whitewater a go too. And you'll end up spending winter weekends driving to & from Wales hoping it rains!
    Misguided Idealist
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    mroli wrote:
    What - so you could tow the trailer behind the canoe/kaya as well - ha - trailer for the bike, then trailer for the canoe? Not sure about "drag" though.....

I used to have one of these which I used for expeditions in northern Scotland - it carried me, climbing partner,a tent, plus climbing gear without any problems - would carry a folding bike no probs - no issues with punctures etc and inflates using a track pump

http://www.kayaksandpaddles.co.uk/canoe ... -yukon.htm