House now suprisingly more empty

Aidy
Aidy Posts: 2,015
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
... I should fill it with more bikes, right?

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Yes. Next thread!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    n+1
  • You've reached the S part of N+1, where S=number of bikes required for separation?

Definitely more bikes.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Take up another hobby. I recommend kayking, as this requires a lot of kit. The volume requirements of anything that floats are easily as great as cycling, in my experience.
  • Take up another hobby. I recommend kayking, as this requires a lot of kit. The volume requirements of anything that floats are easily as great as cycling, in my experience.

I've recently taken up kayaking, I missed the rowing season, and can't really be arsed going to 4-5 sessions a week. I love it! I want a touring kayak, immediately!
  • Aidy
    Take up another hobby. I recommend kayking, as this requires a lot of kit. The volume requirements of anything that floats are easily as great as cycling, in my experience.

Hrm.

There's a plan.

Silly Commuter Kayak Racing? - There's even a canal that goes nearly all the way to work...
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965

I've recently taken up kayaking, I missed the rowing season, and can't really be arsed going to 4-5 sessions a week. I love it! I want a touring kayak, immediately!
    You need two. One for you and one for a friend. And dry bags. And a bilge pump. Soooo much kit......

Fortunately, I live in Scotland and can rent it all for £10 a day. :D

Rowing is not equal to kayaking. Water is a mere coincidential commonality.
  • Take up another hobby. I recommend kayking, as this requires a lot of kit. The volume requirements of anything that floats are easily as great as cycling, in my experience.

You need two. One for you and one for a friend. And dry bags. And a bilge pump. Soooo much kit......

Fortunately, I live in Scotland and can rent it all for £10 a day. :D

Rowing is not equal to kayaking. Water is a mere coincidential commonality.

I have many dry bags, and a bilge pump (which I've never used), and a couple of drysuits... sailing FTW.
  • Aidy
    Um, I can do the dry bags bit.

I'm confused as to where I hang panniers on a kayak, though.
  • Aidy
    You've reached the S part of N+1, where S=number of bikes required for separation?

Not quite :)

I'm wondering what S is, though. N+1 is easy to calculate. How do you calculate S?
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123

+1

I have a separate kit room, and still I have a kayak in the living room...

(yes, I do have a 4-bed house to myself. and yes, since that situation arose the number of bikes, kayaks and ancillary gear has multiplied)
    Misguided Idealist
  • Aidy
    (yes, I do have a 4-bed house to myself. and yes, since that situation arose the number of bikes, kayaks and ancillary gear has multiplied)

Yeah, the number of bikes I own did literally double shortly after I bought a house.
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    Aidy wrote:
    I'm confused as to where I hang panniers on a kayak, though.

on the back of course.

simples
  • Fireblade96

[tongue-in-cheek]
    Oh, no no no ! A touring kayak is the hybrid of the kayaking world. You'll grow tired of it in weeks. Save yourself the expense and waste of time, and immediately buy:
    a whitewater / river running kayak - for big water
    a playboat - for smaller whitewater.
    an open canoe - for touring with lots of gear and making life harder for yourself when kayaking seems too easy
    [/tongue-in-cheek]

There, look at all the money I saved you ;-)
    Misguided Idealist
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    can you get a folding bike in a touring kayak?
  • Fireblade96
    Big Wib wrote:
    can you get a folding bike in a touring kayak?

Unlikely - it would need to fold very small to squeeze into a touring kayak.
    You could definitely get one in an open canoe.
    Misguided Idealist
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Can you get a folding kayak on a bike, that is more important surely. :wink:
  • Aidy
    plowmar wrote:
    Can you get a folding kayak on a bike, that is more important surely. :wink:

Surely you want a folding kayak that would fit on a folding bike which would fit in the folding kayak?
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I've been wrestling with just this problem. I want to do Westminster to Devizes by folding bike, towing a trailer with a fold up canoe on it, unfold canoe, put bike in canoe and canoe back. SURELY this must be possible? But it sounds like it won't work on a kayak as the weight of the bike will destabilise the kayak and I need an open canoe - and I don't know if you can get folding versions? Also, I have read that inflatable canoes are rubbish.... So much research and so much kit (potentially)!
  • Aidy
    mroli wrote:
    I've been wrestling with just this problem. I want to do Westminster to Devizes by folding bike, towing a trailer with a fold up canoe on it, unfold canoe, put bike in canoe and canoe back. SURELY this must be possible? But it sounds like it won't work on a kayak as the weight of the bike will destabilise the kayak and I need an open canoe - and I don't know if you can get folding versions? Also, I have read that inflatable canoes are rubbish.... So much research and so much kit (potentially)!

Floating trailer with wheels?
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    What - so you could tow the trailer behind the canoe/kaya as well - ha - trailer for the bike, then trailer for the canoe? Not sure about "drag" though.....
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    You lot are so stoopid:

mikebike.jpg

I think that's everything....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I used to race Kayaks as a Junior, was in the GB junior squad too, don't know how I was shite.

I used this actual boat for a season in the late 90's

k1pic(mosq).jpg

That's not me in it though, that's my old mate Greg, he wasn't shite.

Lit, there's loads of canoe clubs down london way and a really healthy marathon and sprint racing scene, I wan't to get back into marathon racing, the tactics are a lot like cycling I was I'd realised that when I was racing I think I'd be much better at it know.

I met some lovely ladies through canoeing, slightly muscley shoulders tho, ho hum.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Aidy, before you add yet more bikes to fill the house I think you should have a SCR End of Summer barbecue plus breakfast/lunch the next day for those too filled to go home that night. Good idea?

I can bring a bottle of Reggae Reggae sauce for the chicken and two cans of Guinness and as I've got a bad back I've got dibs on the guest room. You HAVE got a guest room right?

:D

August is a quiet month in the office so I have too much time to think about social events
  • Aidy
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Aidy, before you add yet more bikes to fill the house I think you should have a SCR End of Summer barbecue plus breakfast/lunch the next day for those too filled to go home that night. Good idea?

I can bring a bottle of Reggae Reggae sauce for the chicken and two cans of Guinness and as I've got a bad back I've got dibs on the guest room. You HAVE got a guest room right?

:D

August is a quiet month in the office so I have too much time to think about social events

If people want to trek out this far, I'm quite happy to :p
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    How far is 'this far'?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    With a spot of tenting in the luxurious gardens mayhaps?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Aidy
    Cafewanda wrote:
    How far is 'this far'?

Outside the M25 far :)

But only just.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Aidy wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:
    How far is 'this far'?

But only just.

careful - a lot of people here don't believe such a place exists... :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Aidy wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:
    How far is 'this far'?

But only just.

careful - a lot of people here don't believe such a place exists... :wink:

Everything between the Thames and the Tyne is blank in my atlas, just a dotted line marked M1
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX