Van Impe on Charteau

2»

Comments

• Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Maybe you could try two categories - one for mountains attacker (must be a better phrase) which deals with the whole mountain stages, and one for the best climber, which only takes into account the last climb of the day?

Pardon my ignorance (or stupidity if i failed to pick up on this) but isn't that what the stage result is for?

Not every mountain stage finishes on the last climb of the day :wink: By your logic maybe we should be scrapping the green jersey because they award points for the stage finishes. Ok, so there are sprints along the way but its normally the breakaways that take those.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Bring back the red jersey I say!
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I read in some book - I think it was one by Abt? - that in '98 Van Impe said to Pantani why didn't he go for the mountains jersey and he said no I'm going for GC.
    And having just watched the programme on Tom Simpson (well most of it - b.....y BBC start late) winning isn't just about the money you earn from winning it's about getting a better contract next season.
    I've said it before and I'll no doubt say it again - professional sport is business - so you do your best to earn what you can.
    Also, wouldn't it be good to have a combined jersey - I think they did in the Vuelta but did they ever in the Tour? - for the best placed in all comps?
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Ms Tree wrote:
    Also, wouldn't it be good to have a combined jersey - I think they did in the Vuelta but did they ever in the Tour? - for the best placed in all comps?

They had the combined jersey in the 80s. Here's a picture of Hinault in the jersey.

gw_lemond_hinault.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95