Who should Sky be trying to hire?

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    With the right support, Lofquist can aim for race like Paris-Nice, LBL, Fleche and Romandie. For me he's by far the biggest prospect on the team, in the sense that we already know all about EBH and Lofquist probably has a margin for improvement.

As for team management, Julian Winn would be useless. You need a bloke who knows European roads properly, who understands the tactics in big races and more. That's why Neil Stephens has been having talks, but there are other, better candidates. Why not make Cyrille Guimard or Paolo Bettini an offer they can't refuse?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    EBH hasnt hit form yet - from what we've seen of him in the past few TOB's - he's a class rider. And Kennaugh looked impressive from the Nationals.

I think the hardest part is to find decent riders who havent been 'tainted'. I'm not sure I'd go for liquigaz guys for one.

Which teams are likely to fold ? How long will the shack be around without Lance ? Who could they get from there ?
  • Hibbs
    Hibbs Posts: 291
    cougie wrote:
    EBH hasnt hit form yet - from what we've seen of him in the past few TOB's - he's a class rider. And Kennaugh looked impressive from the Nationals.

I think the hardest part is to find decent riders who havent been 'tainted'. I'm not sure I'd go for liquigaz guys for one.

Which teams are likely to fold ? How long will the shack be around without Lance ? Who could they get from there ?

So you wouldn't go near Liquigas riders but you would Radioshack? :?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Winnie did a few years on the continent himself including the Giro but I agree that he probably doesn't have enough experience. I still think Backstedt would be perfect on several levels - maybe some kind of tie up with Big Maggy?

Again, the constraints of having someone with a completely clean past including not the remotest suspicion is going to be the problem for Sky (possibly another point against Julian although he was cleared for the Olympics IIRC).
  • Pross
    Cameron Meyer and possibly Taylor Phinney strike me as Sky type riders but that's the style of rider they currently have and probably not what they need if they want to be a GT team.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    If I were Phinney I'd probably be trying to get myself over to Sky or back to Garmin.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Pross wrote:

Again, the constraints of having someone with a completely clean past including not the remotest suspicion is going to be the problem for Sky (possibly another point against Julian although he was cleared for the Olympics IIRC).

They've removed that constaint somewhat. When in Rome, and all that.

The reason I ask the question was I couldn't think of any riders who are available and would give Sky a boost.

If Fly-V scales up next year they will also be competing with an Oz team for some of the riders.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72
    Pross wrote:

They've removed that constaint somewhat. When in Rome, and all that.

The reason I ask the question was I couldn't think of any riders who are available and would give Sky a boost.

If Fly-V scales up next year they will also be competing with an Oz team for some of the riders.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Kléber wrote:
    With the right support, Lofquist can aim for race like Paris-Nice, LBL, Fleche and Romandie. For me he's by far the biggest prospect on the team, in the sense that we already know all about EBH and Lofquist probably has a margin for improvement.

As for team management, Julian Winn would be useless. You need a bloke who knows European roads properly, who understands the tactics in big races and more. That's why Neil Stephens has been having talks, but there are other, better candidates. Why not make Cyrille Guimard or Paolo Bettini an offer they can't refuse?

i'm reading the Fignon book, and you could never take Guimard. It would have to be HIS team. What about getting Roger Legeay more involved, and i would look at riders coming to the end of their careers. Hammond would be good, but we know he's a bit frosty about Sky, and so would Julian Dean, but he's been in good form this year so won't be ending soon i don't think.

What about Janez Brajkovich? Tied to Shack no doubt.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Hibbs wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Er yeah - thats a risk isnt it - but i dont think any have been busted at Radioshack ? (its only when they leave !) ;-) Back to the drawing board then...
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    cougie wrote:
    Hibbs wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Er yeah - thats a risk isnt it - but i dont think any have been busted at Radioshack ? (its only when they leave !) ;-) Back to the drawing board then...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/radiosh ... -confirmed
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • iainf72
    Ricco is available....
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    edited August 2010
    :lol:

they should be signing my heroes if they want my support...

353px-Albert_Timmer.jpg

CyclePremierMetaltekTeamP30-213x300.jpg
  • Pross
    and Rasmussen - proven GT pedigree!
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    It would be a major disappointment if Sky would not at least sign one or two promising British riders; i.e. British development squad riders or domestic team riders, not the riders already on the European pro circuit like Wegelius, and the riders they've mostly depended on for Britishness this year (Kennaugh and Russ apart). Other teams that have some sort of 'national team' aura like Rabobank, Saxo, Astana, Euskaltel, etc manage to do so, so it would be poor if Sky wouldn't with all its PR about supporting British cycling.
  • Shock move from Hoy to the road :D
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    Have Sky announced if they are taking on any stagiares this season? If so, any idea who?
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    andyp wrote:
    Have Sky announced if they are taking on any stagiares this season? If so, any idea who?

Not seen any announcement. You do wonder if they're a bit rudderless without Scott Sunderland.
  • Sunderland going was mutual. Both parties wanted out. The team is better without him, he was absent for most of the spring races so didn't have that much on the road impact with them.

Sky will be just fine. Wiggins had a bad Tour compared to last year and they didn't win a stage but they went pretty well and Sky are pleased with it all so far.

Next year they will be a year wiser and have a team that has a season under its belt so will mature and get results.

They are running a 'clean' outfit so results won't come as easily as one might expect. Mind you, given Dave B's recent comments they may well be rethinking that stance!!!
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    I think this is quite a tricky one for Sky. As someone already said they need to decide who to offload as well.

If they are continuing to target GT success they need to establish if Wiggins is still their guy for this. If they think he is then I almost think it makes the decision more difficult as they can pretty much rule out attracting most of the top 25 in this years Tour as they will either want a team who will work for them or are probably happy where they are.

A different approach will be required next year, eg using the Giro as a glorified training session is a non starter. They need a team with depth to enable someone to go for a top 10 in this.

I like the idea of a Porte or Brajkovic signing as I dont think either would upset the balance of the team. I'd also quite like the idea of signing Thor- doesnt need much support in terms of the sprints, always in with a shout at the green jersey and more than useful in the classics. Might p!ss EBH off though.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    smithy21 wrote:
    I'd also quite like the idea of signing Thor- doesnt need much support in terms of the sprints, always in with a shout at the green jersey and more than useful in the classics. Might p!ss EBH off though.

Don't see the point in that.... EBH was stronger in the sprints at the tour this year, and is a lot younger than Thor. Sky already have a strong spring classics team with Flecha/EBH/Hayman/Wiggins/Thomas/Stannard/Downing.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    smithy21 wrote:
    I think this is quite a tricky one for Sky. As someone already said they need to decide who to offload as well.

If they are continuing to target GT success they need to establish if Wiggins is still their guy for this..

Oh I dunno. I can think of one other rider who might be a better bet. Good thing is, he's already on Sky's books and finished higher than Wiggo this year...

Strava is not Zen.
  • If he hadn't extended his contract to 2012 in april I would have gone for young talent like Sagan.

I do think that aiming classics is a good one for them next year, and I think they have the british talent to bring on over the next few seasons.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Me.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    eh wrote:
    Definitely need a solid GT contender to take some of the pressure of Wiggins, and give them options. On that front I'd be looking at Basso.

Without having got through the thread yet that might be a good shout - former doper but seems to have made some efforts to prove he is clean (just going from what I read on here) - don't Sky operate as a brand in Italy too ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Both Richie Porte and Tejay Van Garderen will become great GC riders, but then Geraint Thomas ain't doing too bad..

Kristian House would be great!

And just so everyone remembers, EBH got 3rd in 3 bunch sprints in this TdF - only beaten by Cav and Petacchi, Thor is not a good sprinter anymore. Also Alexander Kristoff (he's at BMC now) would be a good signing, he's a very very promising rider and good sprinter (came 3rd in ToC when Cav won this year). And there's another Norwegian youngster (at Joker Bianchi), he got top 15 in U23 Worlds last year and is definitely getting a pro contract for next season - Christer Rake.
  • iainf72
    Brailsford has said they're trying to hire 4 or 5 people for next season. More mountain support for Wiggins (carry on banging that drum Dave!)
  • Having paid all that money for Wiggins, they couldn't sensibly after one year turn around and bring in another GC contender; they have to stick with it and just try and bolster the support for him for next season.

Eventually, in my view, it is inevitable that Cavendish will join Sky, and when this happens it will change the dynamic of the team totally. Sky/NewsCorp have the very deep pockets needed to pay for it, and the advertising that they would get in the UK media from photographs of Cavendish crossing the line first 4, 5 or 6 times in the Tour wearing a (green?) jersey with their name plastered all over it is priceless. Ultimately that is what sponsoring a cycling team is all about, no?
  • The longer Cav resists the more he will cost them !
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    I'm sure seeing Sky's lead out train in action is probably quite a convincing reason for Cav to stay where he is.