Who should Sky be trying to hire?

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited August 2010 in Pro race
So with the new Lux team, GEOX coming into the market, Astana looking for a new leader, Riis trying to fill some gaps in his roster and BMC waving around a big chequebook, I've noticed we've not heard much from Sky.

They must be wanting to beef up their squad a bit. Have any names been linked yet? Who should try be trying to get on board? I'd have to assume they'll look at a "name" or two to get the UCI points which will be essential next year.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Richie Porte

Just my thoughts, he's going to be a star.
  • Cavendish, Roche and Wegelius would be good
  • iainf72
    Maybe I should rephrase it - Who should they be targeting realistically now? So Roche is out of the question

They'd like Cavendish but methinks he's happy where he is...
  • Snorebens
    Snorebens Posts: 759
    Lots of noise regards Cunego no?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Porte.
  • iainf72
    Snorebens wrote:
    Lots of noise regards Cunego no?

Yup, but he's spoken for by GEOX.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    The other two members of their 'The Jam' tribute band. Maybe we might get some performances next year.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    On past form, Vandevelde?

Strava is not Zen.
  • Someone who finishes quietly in the Top 15 of the Vuelta, they'll get the ranking points, and not really have to worry about a big salary.

Back in the day this would be someone like Valjavec
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Cav wont move without some of his team mates e.g. Renshaw. Why jump ship when your team are doing the business every time. He wont move for £££, he wants the green jersey more.

I think Sky may look for better help for Brad to give him one more shot next year. He lacked some climbers to dig in and stay with him. I expect this sort of signing, and no big names.
  • they need a world class sprinter, and stage race winner - so cav and porte

not giving up on wiggo or boassen-hagen yet though - rough year but theyll learn and come back. Plus some great young riders in the wings
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    British riders, who live in Britain, who have British passports, and speak British?

Just a thought...
  • iainf72
    Splottboy wrote:
    British riders, who live in Britain, who have British passports, and speak British?

Just a thought...

You do know they'll need UCI point next year? :wink:
  • stefrees
    stefrees Posts: 137
    iainf72 wrote:
    Splottboy wrote:

Just a thought...

You do know they'll need UCI point next year? :wink:

Sky look like they'll finish top 17 (just) but does signing riders for next year alter the selections for next year? Also isn't selections for tour etc done on this years ranking?

At the tour in Bordeaux by the team bus ellingworth did mention they're very happy with their team for next year. Not a big signing but think they'll sign dowsett
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Just throwing some names out there, here:

Richie Porte is certainly an idea (although personally I'm not convinced by him). Matt Lloyd was linked a few months back - he would be good.

If Caisse dE folds then I'd look at Uran and Kiryienka.

Saxo are going to have some big changes. JJ Haedo could offer something in the sprinting department. Also if Bellis is struggling for a contract then a year of recuperation back with the Academy and then being brought on board could be good.

Some of the foreigners at Cofidis might not be too impressed with their drop to Pro Conti level, so how about Taaramae or Kreukeliere?

I also saw an article pre-Tour linking them to Joaquim Rodriguez, although I didn't believe it. But if Menchov goes to Katusha as the top man, then maybe?

It might be worth testing how settled van Garderen is at HTC.

I'd break the bank for Nibali. Or the Cav-Renshaw-Eisel triptych.

Of course none of this has considered any 'reputation' they might have or their contract situation..
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    Porte is under contract to Riis Cycling for next year.

They need a race winner. EBH might be that person but this year has demonstrated the fact that they need a plan B. A decent quality sprinter would be ideal but there aren't many of them on the market but somone who's a calibre above Sutton and Henderson is needed.
  • Matthew Lloyd and Charlie Wegelius would be good signings, not sure what OPL would think of that, mind.

If Cav is out of the question, then Greipel or Haussler would compliment EBH.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    As others have said they need a top class sprinter, another GC contender in the Grand Tours and a couple of climbers. Been a bit unlucky this year on the injury front with riders you'd have expected to kick on/consolidate previous results (EBH, Gerrans, Pauwels, even *cough* Wiggins). They could easily expand squad as think they kept it at 26 this year.

But ultimately the best person they could hire would be the Liquigas cycling scout.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Greipel would be an interesting signing - has he signed for anyone yet ? I think they have some decent one day riders already and a good sprinter (with EBH also able to contest sprints) alongside makes them a half decent team.

Not sure about GC contenders - top GC contenders who aren't linked to drugs are thin on the ground. A young up and comer who can maybe out perform expectations with a top 10 in the tour would do nicely and then try and bag a couple of stages with other riders.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Greipel would be an interesting signing - has he signed for anyone yet ?

I can imagine the scene:

Brailsford: "Welcome Andre. Let me introduce you to everyone. This is Rod Ellingworth, Mark Cavendish's coach. Fran Millar, Cavendish's agent. Brad Wiggins you may remember as Cavendish's madison partner. Ben, Ian and Geraint, they're friends of Cav's out in Italy, Peter here grew up with Cavendish. Any questions?"

Greipel: "Do you mind if I have another chat with Lotto?"

(Seriously, though, he's 95% certain to be at Lotto next year)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Management, not riders. The loss of Scott Sunderland has left a big whole in the roster, although sadly and bizarrely there's talk of Neil Stephens.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    If the ethos (hyperbole?) is to be propertly carried through then DB should be on the case of Cavendish, Wegelius (although is he really British?), Dowsett, Blythe, Hammond, Lloyd, Hunt etc.............there are some very handy British riders with other teams.

In terms of foreigners on the roster, these should only be of the very highest quality. EBH, Lovqvist and Gerrans probably fall into that category, but the likes of Vigano, Cioni, Pauwells etc???

Porte is a great prospect, but a marque stage racer/super-domestique is what they need - Nibali, Cunego, Rodriguez???
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Would love to see Nibali and Rodriguez on board. Not sure Cunego is worth a punt. Is Matty Breschel signed to the new Lux team?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Wegelius is very unlikely given past history with BC, Hunt and Hammond are unlikely given comments they have made about Sky, Dan Martin would be an excellent signing but again unlikely due to the way BC treated him in the past. Do they need a sprinter? Both Henderson and Sutton have beaten Greipel in bunch sprints this year when the finish hasn't been on a billiard table and EBH was up there regularly in the Tour. OK they aren't the very top level but there are only 3 or 4 at that level and one of those has a positive against his name and is currently being investigated again. The squad isn't too bad but they should be focussing on Classics and short stage races which is where the squad has strength whilst hopefully bringing through Thomas or Kennaugh as future GT riders. The area they really fall short is in climbers, Lovkvist is capable and probably would have done better in the Tour if not working for Wiggins and one of the Italians looked quite strong in the Giro mountain stages. My choice would be Dan Martin as a main signing but don't know where he stands contract wise plus BC would have to do a bit of grovelling. On the management side I'd sign up Backstedt as a DS but he has committments to his own team.
  • iainf72
    Moomaloid wrote:
    Would love to see Nibali and Rodriguez on board. Not sure Cunego is worth a punt. Is Matty Breschel signed to the new Lux team?

Nibs has extended with Liquigas.

Breschel is linked to Rabobank I think.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    And Porte likely to stay with Saxo
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Definitely need a solid GT contender to take some of the pressure of Wiggins, and give them options. On that front I'd be looking at Basso.

Also agree with Kleber that some decent backroom staff would be good, maybe pull Winn over from the BC setup or go a bit outside and pick a decent ex-UK pro.

Interesting looking at the above at how many people Sky/BC seem to have fallen out with, still money would probably talk.
  • jimycooper
    jimycooper Posts: 740
    its a little out there, and its not a big signing but what about Kristian House? he's one of, if not the strongest uk domestic at the moment.

what do people think?

Plus i really rate Dowsett and think he could be a brilliant rider in a few years, strong guy and very nice too.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    another question worth asking is who might Sky be getting rid of...??
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Kristian House had an offer to go to Vacansoleil last year, but stayed with Rapha I think.