Car Insurance

Comments

• prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    No you don't, you think you need more than a 1.2 'cause you're a 17-year-old boy who wants a cool car!

Nail head.

I know somebody who's got a 1.1 litre golf, goes like stink, lovely car to drive on a motorway in.
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    Any car, even a 1-litre runabout, goes fast if you are prepared to thrash it against the redline.

On the other hand, cars are SO last-century...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Comedy classic thread!

Personally, I've never owned a car that post dates the 1980s so can't get my head round the idea of anyone actually 'needing' a car that is less than 2 years old but then I admit to mild eccentricity. Still, I trust my old Saab to get me home far more than any modern car - not much to go wrong!

Also quite funny listening to a 17 year old get indignant that the insurance companies don't want to use our (ie more experienced drivers) premiums to subsidise a teenager in a BMW Mini.

OP should be more looking at how much an eight year old Corsa non turbo diesel costs to insure maybe.

PS - £240 to insure a Saab 900 Turbo :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:

£520 to insure a 900SE turbo convertible AND a 9-5 HOT Aero estate.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    £185 to insure a Ka with Protected NCD £250 For a 1.8 C-max, I loves the coutryside (and carp cars)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • My cars live in the country.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    My first car was a Volvo S60 T5 and it cost me about £500 to insure. Mind I was 29 when I bought it.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    The argument about long distances is absolute rubbish. One of my friends is a stand up comedian, and lives in Birmingham. Every day of the year he drives to gigs all over the country, coming home the same night. Last year he covered almost 80,000 miles. He does this in a bog standard 1.1 petrol engined Hyundai Getz, with no complaints. Before this car, he had a 12 year old Fiesta that took the same punishment.

Any relatively modern car will do exactly what you need it to. If you choose to use an over-powered, shiny, branded car, then you should expect to pay for the priviledge.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • jonnyboy77
    jonnyboy77 Posts: 547
    Interesting read, considering its not bike related.

The first car I drove regularly after passing my test at 17 (almost 18 & 2nd time test) was a 1992 1.1 Fiesta in 1994/95 followed by a 1990 1.4 Vauxhall Astra - I insured the Astra myself as it was my car, and paid £800/year FC aged about 21. I had minor brushes with both cars, within 2 weeks of passing my test and later in the Astra.

As for Pritchard5's predicament ... my 2p worth:

Pick a budget for car & insurance, find a combination that fits the budget. Insurance is expensive, that will never really change, you always begrudge paying it even when you can afford it.

I don't believe you need a 1.4 or 1.6 but if that's your choice, and you can fit it in the budget then great! Newer/Bigger/More Powerful doesn't mean safer, have a look at the EuroNCAP tests if you want a 5 star safety rating to reassure you/parents.

Shop carefully with insurance, a cheap premium doesn't equate to good insurance and like most things in life if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't ..

I for one would be interested to hear how this pans out for you.

Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • when i was 27 years old and bought a omega 2.5 cd i had 6 years no claims and still payed £1000 fully comp. and they wonder why so many people drive around with no insurance and that i'm afraid is why we all pay so much on car insurance. :evil:
  • simonc2806 wrote:
    when i was 27 years old and bought a omega 2.5 cd i had 6 years no claims and still payed £1000 fully comp. and they wonder why so many people drive around with no insurance and that i'm afraid is why we all pay so much on car insurance. :evil:

Blimey, that's a lot! I'm 27, 5 years no claims, see previous page for my insurance costs!

And there's always the option to just not own a car.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    Would a company van not be cheaper?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:

You never told me you had taste! :lol:

Classic 900 or mid 90s sort?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    simonc2806 wrote:
    when i was 27 years old and bought a omega 2.5 cd i had 6 years no claims and still payed £1000 fully comp. and they wonder why so many people drive around with no insurance and that i'm afraid is why we all pay so much on car insurance. :evil:

That seems high. Last car I had was about 5 years ago. Would have been 23, 5 years no claims on a (~group 15) Peugeot 306 GTi-6. Think it was about £800. That's in SE London.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Convertible's the NG, the estate's a 2001 one. I'd have preferred the classic convertible, not least because the roof is so much better, but the NG was so cheap!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    simonc2806 wrote:

Blimey, that's a lot! I'm 27, 5 years no claims, see previous page for my insurance costs!

And there's always the option to just not own a car.

blokes cost more to insure.

There was some interesting insurance/accident statistics somewhere that while women have more accidents...the majority of them are simply fender benders, and many with no 3rd party involved...lots of reversing into walls etc....

Blokes crash less often, but when they do....there are usually flames, explosions, school buses, and 15 other cars involved.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Convertible's the NG, the estate's a 2001 one. I'd have preferred the classic convertible, not least because the roof is so much better, but the NG was so cheap!

NGs are insanely good value - note though how I went to a lot of trouble on a bike forum not to refer to them as NG! Friend of mine just got a Classic convertible for £400. Mind you, it has cosmetic issues - possibly best not to use a brush and a tin of emulsion paint to deal with scuffs and rust blobs.......

Should try a C900 - they are rather nice! Plenty of bike carrying capacity too......
  • Pritchard5
    Pritchard5 Posts: 119
    Insurance now sorted :D
    Just a smidgen over £2000 on a 2007 Mini One with a chilli pack

Pleased :D
    Kinesis Maxlight
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12718150

XC to XCite the senses
  • DCowling
    DCowling Posts: 769
    Pritchard5 wrote:

£2k = £ 38 per week

I must be getting old, I was not earning that much a week when I was your age
  • rolf_f
    Pritchard5 wrote:

Bizarre - a mate of mine hasn't spent that much on a whole car in more than a decade. Never mind.......
  • DCowling wrote:
    Pritchard5 wrote:

£2k = £ 38 per week

It's OK, I'm sure mummy and daddy will cover it, and the cost of the car.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    DCowling wrote:
    Pritchard5 wrote:

£2k = £ 38 per week

It's OK, I'm sure mummy and daddy will cover it, and the cost of the car.

+whateveryoneelsewasthinking
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Still seems very expensive.

At 18 my first car cost me about £350 to insure (VW Polo Coupe Fox 1.0, 1986) having only cost me £300 to buy. That car lasted a good 3 years and sold for £300 when I upgraded (parents bought me a car for my 21st birthday). Even that could manage 100mph (just) and was fine for long distance motorway driving.

My second car however cost a fortune to insure - my parents thought a Honda Civic 1.5i was a nice little hatchback that would be cheap to insure. They forgot I had speeding tickets and no NCD having had a shunt a few months earlier and it was a stupidly high insurance group. They ended up having to help me out with the insurance as I couldn't afford it at all, especially as I hadn't expected to change car that soon. That car lasted 4 years before the engine died and it was replaced with a very boring Seat Leon 1.4 (cheap as chips to insure and more fine for motorway) that I got rid of nearly 2 years ago when I got my first bike.

Think hubby's and my current car (Peugeot 406 estate diesel) cost us the grand sum of £220 to insure this year (Both of us are 30 and I have 8 yrs NCD)
  • Ah but sailorchick, we're girls, innit.
  • There is that :D

I dread to think what my brothers car insurance cost him. By the time he got his first car (Metro) he'd already managed to write off my Mum's Volvo 440. He's one of the statistics that make it more expensive for young lads - he went into the back of a stationary Cavalier at 50mph without even touching the brakes. How? - he had a car full of mates on the way to a gig and was adjusting sunroof/stereo, went round a bend and didn't notice the car stopped waiting to turn right. If he had been in a less sturdy car would have been nasty but as it was everyone walked away from it - they actually played their gig that evening.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Jesus, this really is 6 pages about car insurance.

You lot take the piss! And then blame me about thread derailment.....

Anywho back on topic.

I past my test 2 three years ago so I was 25 - 26yrs old.

N reg Ford Fiesta: £1200 (the car was worth £200 - £400)

This wasn't fully comp, it was Tesco no frills (or value) package and the excess was £350 or something....

Bascially if I crashed the car (which I did) I'd fix it privately (which I did).
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DCowling
    Land Rover Discovery ( T reg )
    £380 fully comp including business miles
    sometimes It's great being 40 and not a speed demon :D
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    DCowling wrote:

i am enjoying my £200 a year fully comp, protected no claim, business mileage, windscreen, courtesy car, £100 excess and £2000 contents cover for a 2 litre injection M reg car.

Turning over 25 made a difference, as did 30. but obviously no claims played a part in this too.

The first car I owned was a 1.3 Vauxhall Astra. I was 18. I had crashed a car onto another 2 cars the day after I passed my test, so had 6 points on my licence and that insurance was about £800 a year...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • DCowling
    cee wrote:
    DCowling wrote:

i am enjoying my £200 a year fully comp, protected no claim, business mileage, windscreen, courtesy car, £100 excess and £2000 contents cover for a 2 litre injection M reg car.

Turning over 25 made a difference, as did 30. but obviously no claims played a part in this too.

The first car I owned was a 1.3 Vauxhall Astra. I was 18. I had crashed a car onto another 2 cars the day after I passed my test, so had 6 points on my licence and that insurance was about £800 a year...

That's a bluddy good deal :shock:

your new insurance that is not the crash after 2 days of passing your test
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    still, £800 for a new driver, in a 1.3 with a crash on his 'record'. That's a bargain!

I think my sister pays more than that on a 1.0L '04 (I think) Corsa!

And Sailorchick, that £350 in 1986 works out as worth anywhere between £760 and £1300 today.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."