Car Insurance

Comments

• Pritchard5
    Pritchard5 Posts: 119
    In all seriousness, OP, why not get your dad's co. to get you a company car and sort out a company insurance policy for you? You won't earn a NCB, but at least you'll be driving a few years until your costs drop a bit.
    It is even worse unfortunately

and
    Pritchard, what about getting your dad to insure it in his name with you as a named driver. Some companies will allow you to collect NCB even as a named driver.

Insurance companies are wise to this. It has had alot of media coverage recently and if you are found guilty of doing this (i.e having your car insured by parents and then having you as an additional driver) insurance companies will not pay out. Its called insurance fronting

I've tried every types of insurance - curfews, classic car, car enthusiast insurance and nothing is going right for me
    You say this, but I find it hard to believe that a Mini is the cheapest car to insure.

It is also seems strange to me that a mini is the cheapest but it is true!
    So with my financial head on it would probably be the best option as second hand mini residuals are high. Where-as a punto depriciates like a stone.

I have been driving on a provisional for 8 months now using my sisters clio, so i have a bit of experience (I went out driving with my parents supervising daily)
    And after having a few incidents with drunk drivers and speeding cars it has been drilled into me through experience - which i will never forget. ( I was nearly hit by a speeding boy racer while i was walking home from college who lost control of the car straight into a lamp post pretty much next to me and also i have had a few drunk drivers harassing me while ive been out on my bike)
    If only the insurance companies could see this.......
    Kinesis Maxlight
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12718150

XC to XCite the senses
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    dhope wrote:
    before careering off the road into a group of school children from Eton.
    Surely this would save the parents' expense of trying to teach a bunch of inbred morons how to count to 10, or get most of the way through the alphabet, before being asked to run the country (or steer the boat race crew, if particularly able).
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Pritchard5 wrote:
    It is also seems strange to me that a mini is the cheapest but it is true!
    So with my financial head on it would probably be the best option as second hand mini residuals are high. Where-as a punto depriciates like a stone.

What other cars have you looked at?
  • Pritchard5
    2009 ford fiesta 1.4
    2008 renault clio 1.4
    2008 fiat punto 1.4
    2001 bmw 318i
    2006 volvo s40 1.6
    2007 mini one 1.6 (THE ONE I AM TALKING ABOUT)

As you can see, a wide range
    Kinesis Maxlight

XC to XCite the senses
  • Pritchard5 wrote:
    In all seriousness, OP, why not get your dad's co. to get you a company car and sort out a company insurance policy for you? You won't earn a NCB, but at least you'll be driving a few years until your costs drop a bit.
    It is even worse unfortunately

I meant one that your dad's company pays for, or at least contributes to... after all it's their fault you're doing lots of miles.

And I don't think that's fronting, as long as it's a company car not your own. My mum's co. set up a garage policy for my brother - otherwise his insurance would have cost a fortune.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    I meant one that your dad's company pays for
    Earth to LiT. Earth calling LiT.

No, she can' hear. She must be too far away. :shock:
  • I meant one that your dad's company pays for
    Earth to LiT. Earth calling LiT.

No, she can' hear. She must be too far away. :shock:

:lol::lol:

the OP can repay his dad when he's older/wealthier.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Pritchard5 wrote:
    2009 ford fiesta 1.4
    2008 renault clio 1.4
    2008 fiat punto 1.4
    2001 bmw 318i
    2006 volvo s40 1.6

Yep. That'll be it. Or some of it.

Above 1.2 is the watershed for more expensive insurance, I'm afraid.

You need to lower your sights, or re-adjust your expectations.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Aidy
    edited August 2010
    Pritchard5 wrote:
    2009 ford fiesta 1.4
    2008 renault clio 1.4
    2008 fiat punto 1.4
    2001 bmw 318i
    2006 volvo s40 1.6

Boy racer mobiles or massive tanks?

[Edit] Although, yes, I do fall into the latter category myself [/Edit]

[Edit again] Seriously. "Small family" diesels. [/Edit again]
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    edited August 2010
    :lol:

A 1.6?! That'll be your problem... think they're group 8 or similar.

EDIT:

Consider this your shopping list:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/insurance/Grou ... ?ig=1#ig=0
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    If you get a more expensive car I presume you're after comprehensive insurance. I'd get something old but with low mileage and go third party.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Pritchard5
    I meant one that your dad's company pays for, or at least contributes to... after all it's their fault you're doing lots of miles.

And I don't think that's fronting, as long as it's a company car not your own. My mum's co. set up a garage policy for my brother - otherwise his insurance would have cost a fortune.

I dont know, I just want to be seen whiter than white in the eyes of the insurance company, so if the worst happens and i crash, they have no case to not pay out

and

2009 ford fiesta 1.4
    2008 renault clio 1.4
    2008 fiat punto 1.4
    2001 bmw 318i
    2006 volvo s40 1.6

Yep. That'll be it. Or some of it.

Above 1.2 is the watershed for more expensive insurance, I'm afraid.

You need to lower your sights, or re-adjust your expectations.
    I need more than a 1.2 because i will be travelling long distances quite frequently (Manchester to London)
    Kinesis Maxlight

XC to XCite the senses
  • Aidy
    Pritchard5 wrote:
    I need more than a 1.2 because i will be travelling long distances quite frequently (Manchester to London)

You don't.

But in any case, a diesel if you're going to be doing significant mileage.
  • No you don't, you think you need more than a 1.2 'cause you're a 17-year-old boy who wants a cool car!

I used to drive all over the place in my ka, including very regular trips from suffolk to Oxford. Never had a problem.
  • davis
    edited August 2010
    Pritchard5 wrote:

Ummm. No.

No, you don't.

You think you need a bigger engine, and, because you want one, you believe it.

A 1.2 will quite happily do motorway runs. You'll only average about 60 mph at best in any case (unless you do it at silly hours)
  • Aidy
    No you don't, you think you need more than a 1.2 'cause you're a 17-year-old boy who wants a cool car!

:)

I was waiting for how long it would take for someone to point it out
  • davis
    I know all this sounds harsh, but I'd love to see you come back to this thread in 10 years... :)
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Aidy wrote:
    Pritchard5 wrote:

You don't.

But in any case, a diesel if you're going to be doing significant mileage.

Agreed, you don't need more than a 1.2. It's nicer to have more and more fun to drive something with a bit of grunt but you don't *need* it.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Boy racer mobiles or massive tanks?

I always thought an old Land Rover would be great for a new driver. You don't care if it gets a few knocks, can't imagine they're dear to insure.

When my wife was looking for a car as a new driver it made hardly any difference what model it was. She likes old cars, we got an '86 BMW M535i (I run a classic BMW website) for pretty much what it'd cost to insure a little modern hatchback.

A funny wee story about insurance. Years ago a new guy at work needed a car, never had one before. He was French. I found him a nice 520i for very little. So he phones the insurance company, had a licence for years, aged over 25, nice area, no accidents but no NCB either. Insurance wasn't much at all. Only one wee problem, he was given his licence by the French army when he did national service and he'd never actually driven a car on a public road - ever! I had the happy job of teaching him on a the local industrial estates at night - no L plates needed. It's a funny old world.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Pritchard5
    I wouldnt feel comfortable with a 1.2 doing hundreds of miles.
    Also my parents would let me have an old car because of the 'tin can test' in accidents. They are very unsafe.

You may have your views against me wanting a bigger engine, but we have discussed this in our house and came to the agreement of having at least a 1.4.
    Sometimes, power can get you out of situations (Im not a boy racer, so do not jump to the conclusion that power means i want to go flat our everywhere)
    Kinesis Maxlight

XC to XCite the senses
  • Pritchard5
    I always thought an old Land Rover would be great for a new driver. You don't care if it gets a few knocks, can't imagine they're dear to insure.

Thats not a bad idea actually, i'll have a try and see what the insurance companies think.

Thanks for the idea!
    Kinesis Maxlight

XC to XCite the senses
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    A 1.2 Corsa happily took me from Scotland to Kent and back (with a bike in the boot) :D

The only thing with a smaller engine is that you need to think about things a little more.
  • If you still live with your parents (even if you are way at uni) try Admiral's joint car policy. I managed to save quite a bit on my daughter's insurance. Each car is treated separately so any claims against one car doesn't affect the others. You insure one car now and give them the details and start dates for the other cars. First car is a full year, then the others are pro rata so all expire on the same date.
    Make sure you specify joint policy when you call.
  • davis
    Right. You don't want an old car because they're less safe -- fair enough, so you'll be after a newer car. Easy enough; get a newer car. Something on the list that LiT linked to earlier would be good, because insurance cost is your problem.

I've heard, and used, the "power can help" argument before. The simple fact is that power is of so little benefit to someone of little experience. Far more useful is the advice "don't put yourself in those situations", which basically means driving in a manner that will seem excessively, unnecessarily cautious.

However, you're not going to listen to me. You're 17, and I'm just any old 28 year old bloke who's crashed a bit and who thought he was special 10 years ago too.

Sidenote: I think a girl might have more luck than me.

Anyway, I'm off to bed now, good luck in any case.
  • Aidy
    Pritchard5 wrote:
    I wouldnt feel comfortable with a 1.2 doing hundreds of miles.
    Also my parents would let me have an old car because of the 'tin can test' in accidents. They are very unsafe.

Depends how old we're talking. But I wouldn't say "very unsafe".
    Anything in the past decade would be fine by modern standards really.
    I don't get why you've got a 2001 3-series in the list by your "too old, unsafe" argument given all the other cars are 2006+.
    You may have your views against me wanting a bigger engine, but we have discussed this in our house and came to the agreement of having at least a 1.4.
    Sometimes, power can get you out of situations (Im not a boy racer, so do not jump to the conclusion that power means i want to go flat our everywhere)

You say this with all of 8 months experience? And presumably, as a learner, with little to no motorway experience?

I don't disagree, per se, but I've not found that extra power is particularly useful to dodge out of the way of stuff on motorways. Which is where you'll be spending the vast majority of your time if you're doing long distances.

I note the careful avoidance of commenting on diesels. Fashion victim much? :)
  • Ah come now Aidy. We all wanted a cool car when we were 17. And diesel is just not cool.

If the OP was serious about saving money on insurance, he'd shoot for a car from the list I linked earlier, and do his pass+.

But he's already persuaded his parents that he needs at least a 1.4. No going back from there!

:lol::lol:

Definitely one for the time capsule.
  • I added myself to my daughters insurance and it went down, added my wife and it wend down some more. Took wifey off and added brother in law and it went down even more. He has never seen the car and I certainly wouldn't let him drive it :?
    Go on compare the mercat or similar and put in every combination of driver, excess and stuff that you can think of. Leaving it in the road over night can be cheaper than putting it in a garage as people clip gate posts which was the explanation I was given when I queried that.
  • Aidy
    Ah come now Aidy. We all wanted a cool car when we were 17. And diesel is just not cool.

You mean my car's not cool? Damn :(

How am I going to convince girls to come for rides with me now? :(
  • Pritchard5
    You mean my car's not cool? Damn

How am I going to convince girls to come for rides with me now?

Haha that made me chuckle abit.

Lost_in_thought the passenger seat is available for you any time :lol: :shock:
    Kinesis Maxlight

XC to XCite the senses
  • Pritchard5
    But on a serious note It has to be quite new and over a 1.2

not just because it rhymes but also because we in our family believe it will be safer for the type of driving i will be doing
    Kinesis Maxlight

XC to XCite the senses