tubes or tubeless

2»

Comments

• Paul 135
    Paul 135 Posts: 92
    thanks for all your help everyone :) im staying with tubes it saves the effort and i dont have a puncture problem so its cool :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i just went for my first mtb ride with tubes in about 2 years and i got a flat straight away, tubes are sh1t, dt swiss 5.1 rims are ridiculously stoopid and far too difficult to replace tyres and tubes on.
  • I use tubes with panaracer tyre liners, cheap, light, and excellent punchture protection.

Not had a thorn/stone punchture in 400 miles, only had 2 pinch flats, both from getting overly ambitious on a hardtail.....

tyre liners get my vote.
    Unlike my credit card im currently carrying a low level of interest- Peter Griffin

Saracen Trace 1
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    OK, here's the drawback of tubeless- you go out for a ride, and pick up a flat that won't seal, or you get a bad burp and can't reseat the tyre with your pump. So, you fit your tube. And it instantly deflates because your tubeless tyre has 50 thorns and flints and wee bits of wire stuck through it that it sealed up instantly and you never knew about, which are certain death to tubes :lol:

(never had this happen myself but a mate did, he wasn't too amused. I did cut my finger open on a bit of glass that was sticking through a tyre which had sealed itself up, that was annoying, but it was less annoying to do it in the garage than out on the trail)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Doh! never thought of that! Well lets hope I never have to put in an emergency tube in mine. I used to get punctures all the time, hence going tubeless.

Next time I re-new the sealant I'll give the tyre a "service" just in case....
  • Shaggy_Dog
    Shaggy_Dog Posts: 688
    Northwind wrote:
    OK, here's the drawback of tubeless- you go out for a ride, and pick up a flat that won't seal, or you get a bad burp and can't reseat the tyre with your pump. So, you fit your tube. And it instantly deflates because your tubeless tyre has 50 thorns and flints and wee bits of wire stuck through it that it sealed up instantly and you never knew about, which are certain death to tubes :lol:

(never had this happen myself but a mate did, he wasn't too amused. I did cut my finger open on a bit of glass that was sticking through a tyre which had sealed itself up, that was annoying, but it was less annoying to do it in the garage than out on the trail)

When you have a normal puncture you don't check the inside of the tyre for debris? I don't see how this could be called a disadvantage because it means you have successfully avoided 50 flats!!!
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • Northwind
    I imagine it's very annoying when it happens. TBH it's the biggest disadvantage of tubeless that I've heard of that, so make of that what you will.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    Northwind wrote:

That is not a fault of tubeless but the fault of the rider. Burp aside it is normal practice to inspect a tyre for foreign objects before inserting an innertube.
  • Northwind
    Yup, but it's easy enough to miss one if you know where it is, never mind if you have an unknown number of penetrating objects, covered in sealant.
    Uncompromising extremist