ruckack or courier bag?

2»

Comments

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    as a side note - opearation "clean the massive crumpler" in the bath with a soak in warm water with a washing ariel tab. Bit of a scrub with brush and let soak again for another 30 mins. Rinsed with shower and hung up to dry.

Job done
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • nomadicbry wrote:
    Hi

commuting around 12 miles each way. the route out is very hilly. I curently uee a rucksack which can end up being stupidly heavy if I take my laptop home. Don't want to fit panniers as I use the bike for training as well...it's a road bike with drops rather than a hybrid.

What are people's views on the best way to carry stuff on their back is the courier bag more comfortable?

Cheers
    Bryan

Hello! I think it comes down to personal preference. If you are able to try a courier bag from a friend that would be a good start, likewise for a good Deuter backpack or something like that. Then at least you would start to get a feel on what you prefer.

Personally, I like a backpack because it feels more centred on the back, but many riders I know think a courier bag is just as stable, a little cooler, and has more space.

Cheers.

Ed.
    What is this? A centre for Ants? It would have to be....at least 2 or 3 times this size!
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    I still prefer to use my messenger bag on a my commute of 13 miles rather than anything else. However, if I need to carry heavy things (normal stuff is a large tim of soup, lots of fruit, clothes and a hardback book - probably somewhere in the region of 3-4 kg), I don't find it as comfortable as a rucksack (but still use it anyway)

I'd recommend a messenger bag with a waist strap to stop the bag sliding around and personally I like to set the height so that the bag sits on the small of my back keeping the weight low.

Like others have already said, I like panniers but don't like the reduced feeling of acceleration - like when standing up in the pedals to accelerate away at the top of a hill.

YMMV
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    I wear my courier high up on the shoulders - feels more settled and comfortable...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,395
    My rucksack works fine for me - though I've never tried a messenger bag so can't say one way or the other on that one. That said, I have 2 rucksacks for MTB'ing so no need to splash out on yet another.

Quite like the look of that thing DDD posted, mind you.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Backpack for me. Got a 35-ish litre Kathmandhu. It's more comfortable than a courier bag and plenty of space for tools, laptop, clothes and work. As said above though, I think it's just personal preference.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • strange how times have changed. 10 years ago only mtbers used rucksack or camelbacks. roadies used to turn their noses up at the thought of it.

i have a front luggage system on my folder and prefer a rucksack for convenience, downside is the drinks holder is on the back of the front luggage bag, and i'm too lazy to keep a bladder clean.

i tried a chrome messenger bag out at evans in manchester, it sat flat across the sweaty bits of my back and shoulders. it did look cool tho and it was massive. it had extras bits, like an ipod / phone holder on the strap and was 100% waterproof.
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • I use a kriega r25, abit Ott for cycling but the harness makes it feel much lighter than a standard rucksack