ruckack or courier bag?

nomadicbry
nomadicbry Posts: 223
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
Hi

commuting around 12 miles each way. the route out is very hilly. I curently uee a rucksack which can end up being stupidly heavy if I take my laptop home. Don't want to fit panniers as I use the bike for training as well...it's a road bike with drops rather than a hybrid.

What are people's views on the best way to carry stuff on their back is the courier bag more comfortable?

Cheers
Bryan
Enough bikes to open a bike shop but always room for one more...

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I'm afraid I'd go with rack and panniers for 12 miles. Take the rack off when not needed; it's only 4 bolts.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited August 2010
    Dpending upon bike, mood and phases of the moon I use panniers, a rucksack or a messenger bag. The rucksack gets used the most.

My commute is 17 miles each way.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I got a Carradice SQR slim. Fits what I need (18L capacity, would fit a laptop) and doesn't leave much evidence of it when it's taken off.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    nomadicbry wrote:
    Hi

commuting around 12 miles each way. the route out is very hilly. I curently uee a rucksack which can end up being stupidly heavy if I take my laptop home. Don't want to fit panniers as I use the bike for training as well...it's a road bike with drops rather than a hybrid.

Well if you're training, why not leave them on to make it harder?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Courier bags are less comfortable, they are designed for quick/frequent access rather than stability or comfort, even with the waste strap they move about especially when loaded (emptier ones curve nicely around your back). One shoulder strap isn't so great, and if it is a waterproof fabric it can get very sweaty.

A rucksack is much more stable and mine has a ventilated back so is less sweaty. On my 14 mile commute I am usually using rack and panniers on my tourer (I need laptop, change of clothes, paperwork, books, coffee etc), but on a few occasions I do go on my fast road bike with just a rucksack, 11.5" laptop, t-shirt and shoes (that's the limit), using my Salomon XA 20 which is reasonably comfortable.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Pannier and rack - coupled with allen key / spanner.

Really the best idea - much more comfortable
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • nomadicbry
    chers guys
    I have panniers on my old clunker about town bike (too heavy and inefficient for the hills I need to tackle or at least for my fitness) and agree it wuld make more sense fitting panniers to my road bike but the hassle of taking off and on ... Think I'll stick with my rucksack for now... still working on what I can leave in work and what I need to take

The rucksack is quite stable and I would value that over an unstable courier bag
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    nomadicbry wrote:
    chers guys
    I have panniers on my old clunker about town bike (too heavy and inefficient for the hills I need to tackle or at least for my fitness) and agree it wuld make more sense fitting panniers to my road bike but the hassle of taking off and on ... Think I'll stick with my rucksack for now... still working on what I can leave in work and what I need to take

The rucksack is quite stable and I would value that over an unstable courier bag

Saddle bag?
    sqrpincus.jpg

(No idea who the bloke is, just found image in tinternet)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I use a Crumpler Cheesy Disco "Courier" bag.

chd-008.jpg

I cycle between 14-30miles a day on my commute through central London, and it works out well for me. Very hard wearing, doesn't show up dirt, easy to clean. Its comfy when there isn't much in it (e.g. toiletries, book). It has a good capacity when needed but when fully loaded (e.g. spare clothes, laptop) a rucksack would be more comfortable.

The main reason why I like my Crumpler is because it can also be used on days when I'm not on the bike and am wearing a suit jacket/shirt. If you purely want a something for riding, and your main problem is the weight of the laptop you're carrying, then a rucksack would be a better than a courier bag imo.

Best solution would be to try and arrange for a smaller laptop though :)
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Panniers all the way for me, wouldn't stop you using it for "training"

Alternatively: how about a rack that mounts to the seatpost. Then all you need is a second seat and seatpost for a really easy swap over.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    dhope wrote:
    I got a Carradice SQR slim. Fits what I need (18L capacity, would fit a laptop) and doesn't leave much evidence of it when it's taken off.

They rate it for a 10Kg load, though... not sure that meets the OPs "stupidly heavy" spec...

I might be inclined to use one of these and a collapsible backpack, so you can split the load between bike & back when you need to.

That would avoid fitting panniers (the risk with panniers is that you tend to fill them up), but should avoid overloading both the rack and your back...

Cheers,
    W.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    "Don't want to fit panniers as I use the bike for training as well...it's a road bike with drops rather than a hybrid."

I'm sorry, I don't understand this comment.

I have a pannier rack on the road bike and perhaps only 25-30% of its time is used for commuting.

I think that the pannier v rucksack/backpack argument is similar to that concerning toe-clips and clipless pedals insofar as once you've used one method (ie panniers/clipless), even though you can see merits in the other (backpack/toeclips), you'll never go back.

I also find it quite useful to use the panniers for longer training runs, especially if the weather's changeable - being able to carry things such as a spare top or waterproofs can be a real benefit.

If you're vain and you think a pannier spoils the image of you and your bike then firstly, get a life and secondly, a competent rider pushing a bike complete with empty pannier down a road at 25-30mph looks considerably less silly than did the obese guy I saw on Sunday with his lycra challenging 'Team Sky' clad 17-18 stone body, wobbling down the pavement of a suburban Leeds street on £2,500's worth of replica 'Team Sky' Pinarello......

Bob
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    beverick wrote:
    If you're vain and you think a pannier spoils the image of you and your bike then firstly, get a life

Bit harsh! :) My commuter has a rack, and I have two ortlieb rollers that I can use on it when I need to. I like a bit of SCR and I find the bike much less manoeuvrable when the panniers are on it so I much prefer commuting with a courier bag. But for a long ride or a tour that requires me to carry stuff with me I'll take the pannier because its far more comfortable than a rucksack.

Panniers/No Panniers are just a matter of personal preference, it depends entirely on how you like to ride, and is totally situational. I don't think aesthetics really comes into it.
  • wgwarburton
    beverick wrote:
    ...I think that the pannier v rucksack/backpack argument is similar to that concerning toe-clips and clipless pedals insofar as once you've used one method (ie panniers/clipless), even though you can see merits in the other (backpack/toeclips), you'll never go back.

I've used each in the past. They each have their merits. I'm currently using a backpack, because it suits me better for my current purposes (more fun, less hassle) but I'd go back to panniers, just as I've gone back to a backpack. Saddlebags are underrated, too, BTW. I did a good deal of touring using a saddlebag/barbag combination. It works well and I might go back to that someday, too!
    Similarly, I've tried clipless pedals.. they arn't much better than toeclips, TBH, though they are easier to adapt to. I went back to toeclips rather than spending money on a marginal benefit, having already invested the time & effort in learning how to use clips effectively.
    ...- being able to carry things such as a spare top or waterproofs can be a real benefit.
    ..as well as a disadvantage. See earlier post.
    If you're vain and you think a pannier spoils the image of you and your bike then firstly, get a life
    Harsh... and a bit of a leap: It may not be down to vanity. I prefer to keep weight off the bike, when it's practical, as it makes it feel more responsive. I would avoid having a pannier rack on a lightweight bike for that reason alone.

Cheers,
    W.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Pannier and rack - coupled with allen key / spanner.

Really the best idea - much more comfortable

Depends on the journey time, backpack and overall weight. If you have a decent backpack (airflow back), and aren't carrying too much, the backpack will feel better than the pannier as the pannier won't be upsetting the handling of the bike.

I do up to a couple of hours on my way home, with a smallish amount of shopping and hardly notice the backpack. Anymore than that (weight or distance) and I'd be wishing the weight on my bike.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    For the ride you describe I'd say backpack over courier bag. Panniers would be best but fair enough if you really don't want to fit them- I wouldn't want them on my best bike, whether beverick thinks that's vain or not!

I use a courier bag (Timbuk2) every day and while it's great for clothes etc. and better than a backpack or panniers when you're off the bike, with a laptop/shopping in it t it's only good for a few miles IMHO.
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    All three . . .

Courier bag more comfortable on the roadie than a (decently ventilated on the back) rucksack, especially when on the drops, but you can carry more in the latter.

Rack/panniers for when you’ve got lots to carry and don’t mind the bike handling like an absolute dog.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    HamishD wrote:
    Courier bag more comfortable on the roadie than a (decently ventilated on the back) rucksack,

Depends on the bag. My Ortleib Velocity is a lot more comfortable than my Crumpler Hairy Lee. I only use the Crumpler if I'm going to be needing a bag whilst in civies.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • HamishD
    Indeed . . . maybe I need a new rucksack!
  • HamishD wrote:
    All three . . .

Courier bag more comfortable on the roadie than a (decently ventilated on the back) rucksack, especially when on the drops, but you can carry more in the latter.

Rack/panniers for when you’ve got lots to carry and don’t mind the bike handling like an absolute dog.

Now, is it REALLY more comfortable? I've been told this by some people, but I can't find any courier bag that even remotely supports these claims.

As for 'handling like a dog', I disagree, sure it's a shade heavier, but it only handles like a dog when you've got one side full of wine, and the other full of feathers, or similar.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    HamishD wrote:
    All three . . .

Now, is it REALLY more comfortable? I've been told this by some people, but I can't find any courier bag that even remotely supports these claims.

As for 'handling like a dog', I disagree, sure it's a shade heavier, but it only handles like a dog when you've got one side full of wine, and the other full of feathers, or similar.

I found this bag infinitly more comfotable than my rucksack.
    knog-presto.jpg

It kinda just sat in the small of my back, which meant less pressure from the straps on my shoulders....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • wgwarburton
    HamishD wrote:
    All three . . .

Sounds like an interesting night in...

Handles like a dog is an exaggeration, but a loaded rack does make a difference to the feel of a bike, especially if it's a lightweight that wasn't designed for one. The extra weight only slows it down a bit but it makes it feel slower, cos it doesn't get-up-and-go when you jump on the pedals. It also makes it less agile, so quick changes of direction are harder and trickier to float over potholes, tram tracks etc.
    I always seem to get more snake-bite punctures with the weight on the bike, 'cos I can't unweight the back wheel as neatly... It's more comfortable, of course, but also less convenient (for my particular circumstances).

Cheers,
    W.
  • HamishD
    When I say "handles like a dog" I suppose I ought to clarify in that you can't throw the bike about in anywhere near the same way as unloaded, and it FEELS a whole lot different - light at the front too . . . top speeds admittedly not vastly different.

I use Ortlieb panniers and courier bags - ought to get the rucksack to complete the set . . . .
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    For courier bags the crewroom ones are pretty good, and cheap at only £35 a pop, They're basically the same as my crumpler too :?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    HamishD wrote:
    All three . . .

Not just about balance - the weight on the bike will affect handling even if well balanced. eg turning a 20lb bike into, say, a 26lb bike which putting the weight on your back doesn't do.

I've not tried a courier bag but they look much less stable than rucksacks to me. I wouldn't use one for hillwalking and I can't see a logical reason to use one on a bike either.

However, the comment about them being a bit uncomfortable on the drops I'd concur with a little - tend to slip forward when on the drops on a descent. Not sure that a courier bag wouldn't either.

As for the Knog thing - it'll still be sat on your back, like a courier bag, making you sweat. Doesn't look as though it can carry much either. I've certainly filled my 35 litre pack with shopping and stuff fully and still been fine on a hilly 30 mile ride after work!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • nomadicbry
    cheers guys great advice and some more thinking for me
    wouldn't call myself vain... I have an old hack with rack and panniers which is great for nipping down the pub, shops and into town. however I would rather have the weight on me than on the bike. I love the ascetics of a road bike and though have toured in the past with panniers I just don't want to put a rack on my roadie. not when I can fit it on my back

I've just moved from commuting on my hardtail...would prefer to save it for the trails and it was slow compared to my road bike and the distance I'm travelling. Might borrow a courier bag for a few days and try it. I have a good rucksack..vented etc

On the subject of clipless... I've used SPDs for years now and would never go out without them for a proper run either onroad or offroad. However when riding my hack (shops/pub etc) then it'll be flats...the cick clack of SPDs in the shops or pubs is just sily haha

Cheers again
    B
  • My first commuting bike had a rack and panniers. I found that this encouraged a lot of extra stuff to be lugged around and when that bike was stolen I switched to a rucksack, which I much prefer, and which gets emptied out once a week to ensure that nothing is lurking in the depths . If I do really need to carry loads of stuff, it'll be work, so I have it couriered.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I find a rucksack more unstable than a large saddlebag

I don't usually use panniers for commuting
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    In many ways I find panniers actually improves the handling of the bike.

More weight over the back wheel means more grip, so less wheel spin - also you can pull harder with the front brake with less fear of going over the bars.

I hate carrying stuff on my back, though - I'll throw a pannier on just to carry a t-shirt.
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    nomadicbry wrote:
    Hi
    What are people's views on the best way to carry stuff on their back is the courier bag more comfortable?

Cheers
    Bryan

Carry as little stuff as possible, and carry it in a seat pack, which you can ditch for training runs and replace with a tiny seat pack for tube and tools.

Works for me.

I wouldn't use a rucksack if I were you. Makes your back sweaty, encourages you to carry too much and raises your CoG, buggering up the handling.