Endura clothing quality - not as good as it was

ashleymp777
ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
edited October 2010 in MTB general
Over the past 3 months I've bought a couple of Endura jackets and a pair of shorts and all 3 items have started to fall apart - seams coming undone, zips breaking etc etc. and it sreally starting to annoy me as the last pair of endura shorts lasted 3 years!

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm seriously thinking of writting to them to see whats changed.

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Sold loads of Endura clothing in the shop, in the last 6 months we've returned under warranty 1 pair of Humvee shorts (stitching came apart) & 1 women's top (zip broken)

All in all still very good stuff.

Return the items to the retailer, who should be able to get it sorted for ya.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Better than bloody Altura - Me and my mater have had a jacket and 3/4 shorts each both start to leak after a seasons's use!!! in comparision to my Endura trousers which have been fantastic!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I have a cheap pair of endura shorts (zymes), had them a good few months and they're still perfectly fine
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    ilovedirt wrote:
    I have a cheap pair of endura shorts (zymes), had them a good few months and they're still perfectly fine

Had me a pair of those for almost 3 years and a few pairs of Humvee and Singletrack shorts. They've all held up exceptionally well.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Yeah, only problem i've had is the push button thing keeps coming undone while riding, so i've had to get a belt, but for the price, i'm not going to complain. Just ordered another pair and the endura clickfast liners.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Except for 2 bits, sold all of mine on ebay last year.
  • pte1643
    pte1643 Posts: 518
    ilovedirt wrote:

I love my Zymes (Brown Camo Pattern) I wear them all the time, Riding, Park, Beach, Tesco's... You name it.

Perhaps I should get around to slinging them in the wash occasionally. :lol:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm new to buying stuff this year but my experience of endura has been very poor. Overshoes lasted no time at all before they fell to bits (I see from customer feedback I'm far from alone) and the Meryl shorts I bought were such rubbish that I just left them back at the bike shop - the size of the leg openings were at least 1cm different and the padding like a HUGE nappy.

It would take an exceptional product to persuade me to buy Endura again. The customer service was poor.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Never had a problem with Endura apart from the weird sizing. Admittedly I am built like a badly shaved gorilla but whoever they use for the dimensions at Endura towers must be a bloody odd shape.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Never been that impressed with Endura myself. Then again I'm a big Altura fan and plenty of people have criticisms of those that I've never come across, so I suppose that proves nicely how experiences vary.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ddraver
    stubs wrote:
    Never had a problem with Endura apart from the weird sizing. Admittedly I am built like a badly shaved gorilla but whoever they use for the dimensions at Endura towers must be a bloody odd shape.

Good point, me too!
    - @ddraver
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    pte1643 wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

I love my Zymes (Brown Camo Pattern) I wear them all the time, Riding, Park, Beach, Tesco's... You name it.

Perhaps I should get around to slinging them in the wash occasionally. :lol:

+ potato!
  • Owned plenty of Endura clothing for 18 months, no problems whatsoever, would highly recommend. :!:
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    Thanks for the reminder, reminds me that I must return two Helly Hansen base layers and one Helly Hansen coat re same problem as you describe.
    Next purchase is going to be Humvee Shorts - my pants are perfect still....

I remember now, tried to return these before but AMAZON say can't return faulty items. In a rush last time so going to argue case.

Right in thinking you can still return clothes to seller (not manufactuer) if faulty within i.e. year ?
  • Over the past 3 months I've bought a couple of Endura jackets and a pair of shorts and all 3 items have started to fall apart - seams coming undone, zips breaking etc etc. and it sreally starting to annoy me as the last pair of endura shorts lasted 3 years!

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm seriously thinking of writting to them to see whats changed.

You are certainly not on your own. I've had 2 MT500 jackets this year and on both the seams have come away. I also have a pair of the waterproof 3/4's.... exactly the same thing has happened with the seams but also the stitching on the seat has started to come un done, I reckon I've had 6 months of riding out of them max.

I ran the e-Vent versions of these Endura products for almost 2 years before replacing them with these new PTTFE versions and I don't think the quality is anywhere near the same and yet the prices have gone up !

I have come away from a shop this afternoon where the guy behind the counter has said he too has had the same problems with the taped seams. Not good enough for clothing at that price !
  • grim168
    grim168 Posts: 482
    I bought a pair of singletrack shorts and the seam on waistband went first ride. Replaced by leisure lakes no question. Second pair have been great. I read all the bad reviews but still went on to buy the full finger gloves. You'll always geat more messages from people who've had problems.
  • neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    I've bought Hummvee and MT500 shorts, 2 pairs of liners and one Hummvee jersey this year.

They've all be fine apart from the logos and reflective material all peeling/washing off and the rubber grippy should bits on the jersey shoulders delaminating from the material. None of them are show stoppers but not what you'd expect for the price.
  • ddraver
    humm, so what do we buy then...I ask as the3 seams on my MT500 shorts are starting to wear, I'm thinking of sending them back to Endura as in my past experience with them they ve been very fair!
    - @ddraver
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    got loads of Endura kit. I'm on my 3rd pair of 3/4 bibs. They ARE indestructable!!! My favourite bit of kit. I recently bought the humvee jersey and the first time i wore it the rubber grippers on the shoulders were peeling off because my camelback was on and off a few times (exactly what the grippers were disigned for) I took the shirt back to Evans where i bought it a few days earlier but i'd binned my receipt so they told me they couldn't help me!!! So i told them i wouldn't buy another thing from them in future. I phoned Enduras office which is only 30 miles from me and explained the situation. The nice people there told me i could either send the shirt in or bring it in and they would replace it if it was a manufacturing fault. Some 2 hours later, i had a brand new shirt. I've recently bought the stealth jacket and stealth bibtights for the winter and i'm looking forward to seeing how much abuse those will take....and no, i never bought them from the VERY UNHELPFUL Evans Cycles. I would definitely recommend Endura to anyone.
  • I've got far too much Endura kit than can be healthy for any one person. It's all fabulous. A pair of 3/4s still going after 6 years heavy use. And the BaaBaa stuff is phenomenal.
    Had a top once where the stitching started to go after a few months - quick call to Endura and a new one was on the way immediately. Splendid kit, splendid folks.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I ripped the mesh on my humvees. Only a small hole though. Other than that my 3/4 tights and baabaa have been fine. The humvees are still wearing well, despite the one hole.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Yeah, only problem i've had is the push button thing keeps coming undone while riding

Yeah. Only problem I've had is with the fasteners they use. One on my Zymes wouldn't stay done up, one on a pair of Singletracks closed once then locked so solid it tore from the material when I tried to get changed. Otherwise bombproof kit.
  • ddraver
    I've got far too much Endura kit than can be healthy for any one person. It's all fabulous. A pair of 3/4s still going after 6 years heavy use. And the BaaBaa stuff is phenomenal.
    Had a top once where the stitching started to go after a few months - quick call to Endura and a new one was on the way immediately. Splendid kit, splendid folks.

I know - I look like I'm sponsered by them or something :oops: Has anyone tried the new MT500 PTFE Jaqcket - The trousers are superb an I'm thinking of getting the jacket in the same material...? If they come through on my shorts then its a done deal!
    - @ddraver
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,757
    I have a fair bit of Endura kit - never had a problem with any of it. Maybe you're just one of those unlucky people?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    wordnumb wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Yeah, only problem i've had is the push button thing keeps coming undone while riding

Yeah. Only problem I've had is with the fasteners they use. One on my Zymes wouldn't stay done up, one on a pair of Singletracks closed once then locked so solid it tore from the material when I tried to get changed. Otherwise bombproof kit.

Exactly the same on my Zymes - the button pops open very easily, which is a bloody nuisance. I phoned Endura and the woman said they hadn't had any other complaints!!

I also had to reorder twice before I got the right size - their sizing is WAY out.

a serious case of small cogs
  • ilovedirt wrote:

same here, ive got 3 pairs and theyre holding up pretty good, must be coming up for 3 years i got the first pair and bought a pair every year since. first pair have softened up a bit now but theyve taken some serious slides and held up well
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    All of my kit is endura appart from my shoes. I will agree that the sizing is a bit wierd thats why i always visit my lbs to buy endura clothing at least i can try it on there.

Problems I have come accross is the full monty gloves dont last long and the waterproof gloves dont stay waterproof for long and when you pull them off the inside comes out too. I am on my 3rd pair of these, all have been exchanged by endura because of their waterproof qualities.

All the shorts i have are bombproof and the jackets too. Only issue I have had with the jackets is the transfers dont stay on long, a couple have gone back and exchanged. On a pair of padded bibs I had the stitching came away around the padding and it was hanging out.

I cant fault endura for their returns and no quibble exchanges
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • ddraver
    Bodes well for my shorts then! Good!!
    - @ddraver
  • Don B
    Don B Posts: 122
    Got a pair of Endura shorts a couple weeks ago, and the seams of the shorts liner started coming apart after one ride. Looked to be fairly poorly made.

Not good. Sent them back and they're exchanging them for a new pair of Zymes.
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    I have lots of Endura gear and have to say that it's, well, just okay really. Not had any issues with stuff falling apart mind you.

I've generally stopped buying it now though, in favour of more expensive (and MUCH better quality) kit and the difference is vast.

Endura is still a fairly decent brand though IMO.
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One