PFC usage

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited September 2010 in Pro race
Does anyone know whether usage of this by riders has actually been confirmed? Obviously we know the Gianetti story and now it's come up in the Petacchi investigation.

I also remember a couple of years ago some said CSC were nicknamed "team pfc" during the Tour.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Dunno but I would have thought it would be very easy to detect something like perfluorooctane by mass spec. It also seems to hang around in the body for a while as PFCs aren't easily metabolised.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    PFC?
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    PFC?

A quick google brings up Porstmouth FC,Press for Change or power factor correction so take your pick .
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • DaveyL
    Perfluorocarbons. They can dissolve a lot of oxygen, and there has been some research into them as "synthetic blood".
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    There have been rumours about one rider in particular using them but I won't name the name on here.

PFC's are able to dissolve a lot of oxygen. A classic study using them is to drop a mouse into a tank of PFC and rather than drowning, the mouse breathes the oxygen from the liquid. Humans can do the same, the lungs can be filled with liquid and you breathe. For doping I think the idea is that highly oxgenated PFC is infused into the blood, providing more oxygen.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Thanks.

Following on from Daveys point, I wonder if they do test for them.

Would there be any changes to the blood if someone used them? And are there commercial products available?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Kléber
    Yes, you can test - or so says the Chatenay-Malabry lab thanks to google. But I'm not sure how often the test is done. It requires a blood sample after the event.

Fluosol is the commercial product, it was designed as a blood substitute.

See http://www.bikemagic.com/event-features/pfc/189.html for more.
  • DaveyL
    iainf72 wrote:
    Thanks.

Would there be any changes to the blood if someone used them? And are there commercial products available?

Yeah, the only question is whether they are actively looking for it. If the product contains about 20-25% PFC, a blood sample would light up a mass spec like a christmas tree.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Kléber
    It's not done as the routine test but one report into it from a medical expert says both his lab and Paris were asked by a sports federation to test samples for it. Hopefully some intelligent testing can pick it up. As DaveyL says, it's done by a mass spec test but I don't know how long the product is detectable for.
  • Do they test for poppers? Swear I saw a gc rider (who'll remain nameless) taking a deep sniff on the tourmalet.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Do they test for poppers? Swear I saw a gc rider (who'll remain nameless) taking a deep sniff on the tourmalet.

And with all that dancing on the pedals the riders get upto they need to be testing for MDMA too, bunch of ravers.
    Mañana
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Kléber wrote:
    PFC's are able to dissolve a lot of oxygen. A classic study using them is to drop a mouse into a tank of PFC and rather than drowning, the mouse breathes the oxygen from the liquid.

Wasn't that in the movie "The Abyss"?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pokerface wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    PFC's are able to dissolve a lot of oxygen. A classic study using them is to drop a mouse into a tank of PFC and rather than drowning, the mouse breathes the oxygen from the liquid.

That's what I thought!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pokerface wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Yes it was. The scene in The Abyss was done for real - real rat doing real liquid breathing.

I think it's a different kind of PFC though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    iainf72 wrote:
    Unless it's changed, the test used to be by means of a breathalyser, the use of PFC within the last 3-6 weeks being detectable. I can't imagine the UCI going to the trouble and expense of a mass spectgramme.

No test was ever enforced in the TdF, but on the second rest day in 1999, voluntary tests were offered to riders, its use not being considered a doping offence then.
    No results were ever published about how many riders willingly took the test, or what the results were, but the UCI announced all tests were negative without providing evidence/data.

Not just Mauro Gianetti but also Ludo Dierckxens is suspected of using it. The Gianetti case showed how dangerous it evidently was, but a lab in California then apparently developed a variety which wasn't so dangerous but equally effective as the then Russian and Chinese products in circulation.
  • maxie2go
    maxie2go Posts: 10
    The following is an excerpt from an article about Petacchi:

"Its use in the peloton was first rumoured in 1997 as an alternative to EPO, when the UCI introduced “health checks” preventing riders with haematocrit levels in excess of 50% from competing. **PFC is as yet undetectable.** "
    =============
    If Landis says the officials are in on this doping, what chance do we the viewers have of seeing an honest race? Obviously the entire peloton can be on this stuff. I'm trying to get educated about this stuff because when the trials start I want to be aware of the terms and who is accussed of what.
    I have read all of the preceding comments and wonder why you guys are not naming names. I saw a rider taking deep breaths but won't name names. What's that. If you saw it all of us watching saw it as well. Refresh our memories. We all need to be made better in the know about what is coming up. If I thought Mark Caendish was on the stuff it would just mortify me. I give him so much credit for his talent. I was saddened enough to see Big George's name come into it. *Sigh*

Even horses are being given these drugs. :(
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    maxie2go wrote:
    I have read all of the preceding comments and wonder why you guys are not naming names.

praps this?
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12611535
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • maxie2go
    ^^^, Thanks for the 411, I try and keep it in mind.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    patchy wrote:
    maxie2go wrote:
    I have read all of the preceding comments and wonder why you guys are not naming names.

praps this?
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12611535

Well - first person witnessing of an act and telling of it is not libelous. If someone actually SAW the incident in question, especially if it was on a TV broadcast, then there's no problem in telling of it.

However, if the implication is then made that they were using illegal drugs - that's a different story.
  • maxie2go
    Why is thhis forum so quiet? It is kind'a hard to post openly when you have to be under the "libel" eye isn't it. Anyway, so someone is talking to the feds about the scandal and I sure hope it's Big George Hincapie. If George doped he needs to step us and do some honor to his national kit.

• maxie2go
    Why is it that half the riders didn't finish Tre Valli Varesine? And my man "The Manx Missile" Mark Cavendish was one of the DNFs. :( [/b]
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    maxie2go wrote:
    Why is it that half the riders didn't finish Tre Valli Varesine? And my man "The Manx Missile" Mark Cavendish was one of the DNFs. :( [/b]

Because almost all of them are doing another one day race in Italy tomorrow and a third one the day after that.

Are you on the right thread?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    My dear, if you look just above the typing box, one can find a drop down box called 'Font colour'. Setting it to default creates standard, easily readable, black type.

Not that I dislike green, of course, not at all. Variety is the spice of life, as they say.

But these forumites are mostly elderly and boring types. Many of them actually live in retirement homes, where their exhausted relatives have been forced to dump them, usually in exasperation at their constant mumblings regarding the state of professional cycling. Your green typing may excite them too much, and then they will be unable to sip their cocoa this evening.

Oh, and welcome.
  • Anonymous
    Indeed. Someone on here (no names mentioned) always seemed to use italics. It was horrible.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Italics? Moi?

Well, um, er, I'm not averse to an occasional italicizing myself.In moderation of course.

I may even boldly go into Bold one day. You never know.
  • Anonymous
    No, not you Tusher, unless you were emphasising your lust for a certain manxman!

It was a permanent thing. I had to tilt my head to read it.
  • maxie2go
    OMGosh, am I being reprimanded for using a forum tool? Permit me to ask this please...why do you have the colors available if we can't use them? I have seriously severe eye problems and this color is better than the black print. I use it in any site where color is available. *sigh* Are you guys asking me to not use it or what?

@RichN95 Why do you ask about the page? What Page? If there is something I should know, please alert me to it. Thanks!

And I see your point about the DNF. I did read that there are optional ride days in that race. If only TDF optioned its riders like that. Nah! Too Easy. Mark will be riding Thursday as it is a Sprinter's day. :mrgreen:
    [/b]
  • Anonymous
    If you struggle to read black print how are you managing to read our responses? Surely there's no point in highlighting yours in green as it doesn't benefit us and you don't need it because you know what you are writing...

I'm confused.

I just use colour/italics etc to emphasis one particular piece of text, not for the whole lot.

Sorry to hear about your severe eyesight problems though, hope it doesn't affect your ability to watch the racing or cycle yourself.
  • maxie2go
    [size=large] I'm actually still learning bout my eye disorder. But it is in stage 4 and my vision is extremely limited. I magnify what I read online. Have no idea why black and white cause me problems. I see color much better than b/w.

RP has many varieties and as I said still learning about mine. Appreciate the concern, pray you never find out your loss of vision is due to RP or any eye disorder. I don't drive or ride. Mark Cavendish brought me to this site. And my wanting to keep up with whatever goes on with the Novitsy(sp) probe.
    [size][/b]
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,559
    Hi Maxie, a quick tip for you: if you use Firefox as your browser you can overwrite the font styles for webpages to meet your own needs. This is specifically designed for those with vision problems to be able to customise text colours and sizes to make them readable.

You can probably do it in other browsers too, but here is how it's done in Firefox.

In the Tools menu click Options and choose the Content tab. Click the Colours button.
    Uncheck the box that says "allow sites to use their own colours". Click on the text and background colour buttons to set your preferred colours. Click OK.

Now back on the Content tab click "Advanced". You should see a selection of drop down menus with font choices in them and font sizes next to them. Choose the fonts you can read most easily, and appropriate sizes. There's also a drop down menu that allows you to choose minimum font size. Choose something like 14 or above that, depending on what you can best read. Then uncheck the box that says "allow sites to use their own styles" and click OK.

All pages should now be displayed with the text sizes and colours you've chosen. It may well muck layout up a bit (or even a lot) but hopefully you'll be able to read things better. There's some way of customising the Firefox interface as well, but I'm not sure how.

You can also very easily toggle font size using ctrl+ and ctrl- on whichever page you're on.

Hope this helps, drop me a PM if you need it explained any further.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format