increasing speed/explosivity

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,388
Hi Guys

I know, the MTBer's crashing the road traingin bit again. I have anotehr issue that has come out of the recent 24hr team race. I have a good knack for maintaining a constant but mediocre effort lap after lap for a long time - put simply my lap time does nt drop off at all. The trouble is, as mentioned, that this is a very mediocre speed. I have never been able to turn myslef inside out over 2,3,4 hrs for a shorter race or day's cycling, or even a sprint. I was never a particularly special rugby player for the same reason. I can sprint quite well when running so why should i not be so good on the bike?

How can I improve this? Is it a question of practice, just fitness again or are there thigns I can do to improve it (thihnking of over the winter now really)

Cheers Guys
DaveK
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Ok, as I've just undertaken a 6 week programme of re-hab/strength endurance training for a groin strain, my first "real" ride was yesterday.

I've done some moderate to very hard indoor turbo sessions, but mainly weights etc.

SO...I noticed that: I was more able to climb BETTER standing than ever before.
    But, as I'd NOT done loads of Endurance per se, my Max HR seemed lower.
    eg, Legs were Very strong but Cardiovascular wasn't there yet, but not surprising after 6 weeks of "relative" cycling inactivity.
    ( The route was quite hard, short, sharp climbs and longer less steep climbs.
    Hot, breezy and not an easy ride at all. )

I HAVE to put this much better Explosiveness, standing climbing strength and power down to the circuits, wts, etc. There isn't another explanation etc. I am very surprised/pleased. GOBSMACKED is more like it !!!

If you want, you are more than welcome to try my exercises, but as a former PTI etc, they are not the usual Cycling Fitness type, but only need minimal equipment.

All I can say, is, if I keep this strength training up and do more cycling, I know that I'll have improved a great deal overall.
    Cheers!!
  • ddraver
    hmm, I'd be surprised if I was lacking strength - being an ex rugby player I have pretty strong legs (if you re just talking a bout leg press strength), I think it's a different thing than that.....?
    - @ddraver
  • Splottboy
    Erm, no.

Me EX Rugby too, fast as shit winger.
    Ex Wide Receiver and Corner back too.
    Former Police PTI/Self Defence instructor, Martial Atrs instructor blah, blah, blah...
    26ins thighs at 5ft 6ins, so I'm not lacking size/strength.
    ( Once, I was tested on a machine for one leg strength, and did 140lbs knee extension.
    According to the guys, it was one of the highest they'd seen. Not boasting, just trying to let you know where I'm coming from...)

No, this is using 2 x 7.5kg wts, with a Bosu, ( Swiss ball type thing.) And a Swiss Ball.
    Small step/box etc.

I only did 2 sets of 12 - 16 x about 12 - 18 exercises.

It was all FUCTIONAL exercise, not heavy wts. Couldn't have done that due to the groin...
    Took me about a month to get the exercises right for me, and truly, it seems to have worked.
  • ddraver
    ok lets see these excercises then.....

Meanwhile - are there things I can do on the bike?
    - @ddraver
  • Splottboy
    Mrs gets in in a min, I'll ask her nicely to get to your PM tomorrow.
    ( She Fitness Instructor too...)
    Have to be tomorrow as she'll be a bit pissed form friend b-day do!

Where I live, I've got a 4.5 min, 6.5 min and 10 - 12 min climb, mostly traffic free.

So, after 10 -15 min warm up ride I do between 4 - 6 climbs with at least 3 - 5 recovery.
    Not at race pace, but uncomfortably hard.
    For the last 20 - 25 mts, I try to put it into a slightly harder gear, and semi-sprint.
    10 - 15 MIN cool down ride, then home for a 20 min stretch/refuel.

Depending on the time of year/fitness/boredom, I vary the three climbs too.
    This takes place about 1 per week, with the wts too and longer, fun - if you call a1,000ft climb to my local slate quarry FUN!
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    /mental note - don't piss off Splottboy and move further away from Wales :D