Creaking Crank on Allez

2»

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I learned how to fix bikes cos

a) my dad worked shifts and was often at work or in bed cos he was on nights

b) we couldn't afford to take stuff to the bike shop

c) it was more interesting than Monopoly or Radio 4

Now I can afford the services of a bike shop, but just can't resist fixing things myself.
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    wiffachip wrote:
    pedal/cleat/shoe junction can often be the source of creaks, which sound like they are coming from the cranks

don't know what pedals you have, but try pedalling unclipped for a minute and it see if it goes away

+1

I thought my tiaga crank was creaking for a while but it turned out to be new spd pedal/cleat combination
  • Had creaking on the non-drive side with my Ribble winter audax with Tiagra. At first thought it was the pedals but not a sniff...creak still there, so took off the crank arm, applied grease to splines (all in took less than 10 mins) and problem solved.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Work your way through this:

http://sheldonbrown.com/creaks.html

I don't think he refers to the more modern external bottom bracket with splined spindles. But you can follow the instructions in the above posts (ie removing crank arm and applying grease etc).
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    Hi there just thought I would add my tuppence in here, I was this weekend about to take my trusty steed to the LBS to have an annoying crank related creak investigated and repaired. However I came across this thread a few days ago and I read about how this type of noise could sometimes be the seat needing a tighten. Out came the multi tool and Hey Presto no more noise, I first felt great for saving myself a few bob, then guilt that if I had done this weeks ago I would have saved myself a lot of " WTF is that" type of thoughts!!!
  • Sturmey, correct, it is easy to do yourself but when you've fixed it a few times as well as the LBS only for the fault to reoccur it seems like common sense for them to look at it. Not rocket science. When you pay £800 for a Spesh Allez Elite and have had numerous problems with creaking BB/crankset after only 250 miles I feel fully justified in taking it back. Having Tiagra crankset changed next week. LBS and I have regreased components lots and after BB change making no difference its the crankset next. Should have looked on here a while back as would have saved me some time.

Noise comes back after 10 miles or so, well irritating.
    Is the 105 crankset with upgrading to?