Does anyone know...

2»

Comments

• hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    Is that the strip of cobbles right by the turning to Ham Gate?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    hstiles wrote:

It is indeed.

Here
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    35kph is speeding is what I think he was trying to say.

And I don't think the park has any incentive to make the roads in it faster for bikes.

Unlucky, though. How did you not see it?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Asprilla wrote:
    hstiles wrote:

It is indeed.

Here

You can see that the grout is missing in that view., so it's obviously been like that for a while.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • asprilla
    Update time.

Five weeks later and I've had one contact from Richmond Park asking where the damage took place and I'm glad to see that they have finally got round to fixing it the cobbles.

On the subject of my claim; nothing, not a peep. I've even called the Chief Exec's office and they have given me the name of the guy who is dealing with it but he doesn't answer the phone and he's not calling me back.
    biondino wrote:
    Unlucky, though. How did you not see it?

Traffic was busy and I was concentrating on that.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Gah, hopeless of them. Don't give up though!
  • Send them a small claims court summons, as they've not responded in a reasonable amount of time.

If nothing else it'll get their attention.
    us0.png
  • asprilla
    2009-02-27-professor_farnsworth-150.jpg

Good news everybody!

Just received an email from the park's solicitor to say that they are going to pay out; no questions, no fight, just send us the quote and we'll pay out.

Excellent stuff, even if it did take a while.

Good timing as well as the replacement rims have only jsut landed so I might get the repairs done this weekend.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    :D \o/ :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Asprilla wrote:
    I'm 75kg, I was doing about 32kph and tyre pressure was 95psi (which is the recommended pressure for these tyres / wheels).

i'm interested to see you give mass and velocity in metric units, but tyre pressure in imperial units
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • rjsterry
    It'd be an unusual track pump with a gauge marked in pascals or N/m².:P
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• gs3
    gs3 Posts: 249
    Asprilla
    Is that a Roval wheel with Roubaix Pro II tyres?
  • asprilla
    spen666 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    I'm 75kg, I was doing about 32kph and tyre pressure was 95psi (which is the recommended pressure for these tyres / wheels).

i'm interested to see you give mass and velocity in metric units, but tyre pressure in imperial units

It's mainly because I run 10k races and so I've always run in KM. As a result my garmin is set to metric, as are my scales. I'm generally more metric than imperial, but being raised in the UK you can't really escape it completely.
    gs3 wrote:
    Asprilla
    Is that a Roval wheel with Roubaix Pro II tyres?

Dunno what it had originally but they have currently got Schwalbe Durano S tyres on, with nice red stripes down the middle.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    rjsterry wrote:
    It'd be an unusual track pump with a gauge marked in pascals or N/m².:P

BAR is metric isn't it?
  • rjsterry
    Well, depends what you mean by metric. The SI unit is pascal, but bar does relate directly to pascals - 1bar = 100kPa. The SI unit for distance is the metre, but oddly, the SI unit of weight (mass) is the kilogram, not the gram. The hour isn't really metric either, the SI unit is the second.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :D indeed.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    On a similar subject, I've written to Wandsworth Council to ask when they're clearing the loose gravel that straddles the lanes on the south side of Putney Bridge. Nearly lost the back wheel a couple of times now. Particularly nasty in the wet.
    :evil:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    Just had a call from the LBS to say the rims arrived this morning. I'll be dropping the wheels off for repair on Saturday morning then and picking up Sunday. Excellent.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rjsterry
    cjcp wrote:

Don't encourage me.

Sometimes I really don't like how much of a know-all I am
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    cjcp wrote:
    On a similar subject, I've written to Wandsworth Council to ask when they're clearing the loose gravel that straddles the lanes on the south side of Putney Bridge. Nearly lost the back wheel a couple of times now. Particularly nasty in the wet.
    :evil:

While you're at it, ask them about the top of Silverthorne Road: the surafce has completly gone, with loose gravel everywhere. Given that it's a steep pull away when the lights go green, it can be pretty hairy. Also pinged a chipping into the side of a car with a loud clunk the other night - all I could do was give a sheepish look over my shoulder.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• cjcp
    rjsterry wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Don't encourage me.

:lol: Ooops. I meant to respond to Asprilla's news. I didn't have the first chuffing idea what you were going on about.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I wrote to the royal parks this morning about the river of horse poo on South Carriage Drive...

Yours Sincerely,

Outraged of Mayfair.

:oops:
  • rjsterry
    :roll: Such a townie.:wink: Having grown up in a dairy farming area, horse poo is by far the better excrement to get splattered on your bike.

It'd be a bit tricky to scoop it into a bag and pop it in one of those red bins. Someone'll be out to nab it for their roses before you know it

@CJCP, probably best to just ignore me. I was just trying to score points off Spen :oops:
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry wrote:
    :roll: Such a townie.:wink: Having grown up in a dairy farming area, horse poo is by far the better excrement to get splattered on your bike.

It'd be a bit tricky to scoop it into a bag and pop it in one of those red bins. Someone'll be out to nab it for their roses before you know it

@CJCP, probably best to just ignore me. I was just trying to score points off Spen :oops:

:lol:

Oh I know, I know. I just think it's unnecassary to be splattered by any poo at all!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    My favourite irony is that horses rarely dump once in one pile in one place but drip feed a line of pats as they walk.

This is particularly effective on country lanes as it enables you to fall off your motorcycle after skidding on the first pile and then collect the rest of the piles as you slide along the road.

But you're correct, way more pleasant than cow.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I think that counts as a poor state of repair, the pointing/grouting is completely absent.

I'd measure the width of the gaps and the depth, take a few more photos and contact Royal Parks.

Amazed your rim gave up the ghost so easily though, ITB will confirm that my cheap'n'cheerful SS rims stood up to being smacked into a 26cm kerb at about 26mph with only one wobbly spoke.

Two actually, oddly enough the wheel was still perfectly true.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Don't encourage me.

Isn't the expression "know-it-all"?

Didn't know that, didya? Ha! Call yerself a know-all... :wink:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    rjsterry wrote:

:lol:

Oh I know, I know. I just think it's unnecassary to be splattered by any poo at all!

The army ride their horses near and along the Embankment often - wonder what FCN they are?
  • rjsterry
    I think you've just outed yourself as a fellow sufferer. :P
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    spen666 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Just barging in here.

I use metric [as it is obviously superior to imperial] but use PSI for pressures as that is what I came across first.

OP - good news indeed, nice to hear.