Does anyone know...

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
...if you can claim for pothole damage in Richmond Park?

My experiment with tubeless wheels is on hold after badly smacking the rear wheel in one of the strips of cobbles just south of Ham Gate. Big dent and cracking on the rim.

On the plus side, the tyre lost no air and I was able to make it home. Slowly.

35c26a50.jpg

a84d139b.jpg

e97ac799.jpg
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Wow how did you manage that?

that must have been some pot hole....!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    That is pretty impressive.

I'm 21 stone and I've never done that to a wheel despite giving them a good smack every now and again.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Nasty - what was you're tyre pressure ?
  • asprilla
    edited July 2010
    I'm 75kg, I was doing about 32kph and tyre pressure was 95psi (which is the recommended pressure for these tyres / wheels).
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Asprilla wrote:
    I'm 75kg, I was doing about 35kph and tyre pressure was 95psi (which is the recommended pressure for these tyres / wheels).

is that the recommended pressure using tubeless sealant?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I doubt it, mate. Were the cobbles in a state of disrepair?

I've done something similar on a club ride out in Sunbury.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    itboffin wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    I'm 75kg, I was doing about 35kph and tyre pressure was 95psi (which is the recommended pressure for these tyres / wheels).

is that the recommended pressure using tubeless sealant?

Certainly is.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Did this to mine in April.............

DSCF4369.jpg

Fortunately they are handbuilts, so £89 for a new rim and spokes.....

Also dented the new rim, although I've straightened it - not too bad - some nasty pot holes not filled round Manchester.
  • asprilla
    Well, I've found the UK distributor, but they don't list the tubeless rims on their site so I'll have to give them a ring tomorrow.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Jeez....nasty!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • asprilla
    cjcp wrote:

Gaps in between where they need recementing. Front wheel made it round but the back didn't.

Getting more annoyed as I really like these wheels.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • cjcp
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Gaps in between where they need recementing. Front wheel made it round but the back didn't.

Getting more annoyed as I really like these wheels.

Suspect you'll need to take a photo of the section your wheel hit, with your wheel next to it to give the picture perspective. Then submit it to the Richmond Park Authority and see what they have to say.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    What I hit:

3a9651b7.jpg
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    Asprilla wrote:
    What I hit:

Bloody hell, that looks really nasty
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I hate those fecking cobble strips in the park - are they supposed to be some sort of traffic calming thing? Given the numbers of cyclists that use RP these days you'd think the authorities would make the place more bike friendly, but it seems to get worse and worse - just look at the last to attempts at resurfacing.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    Did Cancellara tell everyone else in the park that they were to stop pedalling so you could be paced home?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Asprilla wrote:
    What I hit:

3a9651b7.jpg

Aah, the old, "well, that's it lads, it's four o'clock. We'll finish this next week."
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I think that counts as a poor state of repair, the pointing/grouting is completely absent.

I'd measure the width of the gaps and the depth, take a few more photos and contact Royal Parks.

Amazed your rim gave up the ghost so easily though, ITB will confirm that my cheap'n'cheerful SS rims stood up to being smacked into a 26cm kerb at about 26mph with only one wobbly spoke.
  • rjsterry
    Asprilla wrote:

I weigh 10kg less than that and still put dents in both rims on a pot hole at a similar speed. Not tubeless, but they were around that sort of pressure. Always keep them up around 115psi now and haven't had anything further, despite riding the Green Wrythe pavé every night.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• asprilla
    Amazed your rim gave up the ghost so easily though, ITB will confirm that my cheap'n'cheerful SS rims stood up to being smacked into a 26cm kerb at about 26mph with only one wobbly spoke.

Me too.

Only 75 miles on the rims as well. The irony is that these wheels replaced some Rovale Paves only to be killed shortly after by some Pave. Coincidence? I think not.....

I have to write to the Park Superintendent and state my case. I see a long series of letters in my future.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    26cm kerb .

26cm! That's not a kerb, it's a wall!
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Depending on how much time you want to spend on it - it's certainly worth sending a letter to the relevant authority. Basically, if they were aware of the danger they would have a duty to make it safe - proving that they knew and failed to do so can be difficult.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • asprilla
    Well, the only thing I can base my argument on is that they have recently resurfaced the entire road and as part of that have surveyed for cracks, etc. In some cases they covered cracks and rough areas with proper tarmac before putting the gravel down.
    I would have expected this kind of issue to be identified as part of that survey.

Here's hoping.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Asprilla wrote:

I think that you will find that you were not going faster than 32kph in RP :wink:
  • cjcp
    Asprilla wrote:
    Well, the only thing I can base my argument on is that they have recently resurfaced the entire road and as part of that have surveyed for cracks, etc. In some cases they covered cracks and rough areas with proper tarmac before putting the gravel down.
    I would have expected this kind of issue to be identified as part of that survey.

Here's hoping.

Simon Richards is the chap at the RPA, I think.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    Gussio wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

I think that you will find that you were not going faster than 32kph in RP :wink:

That's what it says (and I've got the GPS logs to prove it!) :wink:
    cjcp wrote:
    Simon Richards is the chap at the RPA, I think.

Yup, that's the chap. Got his address to write to tonight.

Edit: Good news / bad news time.

Good news, the rim is available as a seperate part to replacement will be about £100.

Bad news, there aren't any in the country. The next delivery from Campagnolo is dispatching tomorrow and so someone is desperately ringing Italy to get one on the manifest. If it doesn't come on that shipment then Italy closes and goes on holiday for three weeks and the next delivery is another three weeks after that.

Could be worse.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    rjsterry wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

I weigh 10kg less than that and still put dents in both rims on a pot hole at a similar speed. Not tubeless, but they were around that sort of pressure. Always keep them up around 115psi now and haven't had anything further, despite riding the Green Wrythe pavé every night.

You 2 need to eat a few more kebabs
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • asprilla
    Hmm, got a quote back for repair; £211, which is about £75 or so more than I thought it would be. Turns out the rims are £186 each, compared to about £100 for the standard ones.

Worth knowing for anyone thinking about buying 2-way fit wheels.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Asprilla wrote:
    Hmm, got a quote back for repair; £211, which is about £75 or so more than I thought it would be. Turns out the rims are £186 each, compared to about £100 for the standard ones.

Worth knowing for anyone thinking about buying 2-way fit wheels.

:shock:

Thik I'll be sticking with my rigida's until my numbers come up, fixing my dinged car rim didn't cost that much.

I feel for you, nice wheels them.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

You 2 need to eat a few more kebabs
    :lol: If only it were that simple. I seem to have developed a humming bird's metabolism.
    Pinnacle Monzonite