Advise needed, culling the herd?

2»

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    cjcp wrote:
    One nice bike, one commuter/training bike, one fetish bike i.e. a crosser or mtb.

A man after my own heart! I could be tempted by a tt bike at some point as well...

If you haven't got time to ride a bike, its a waste of space - give it to a good home. Whilst my 3 are 2 more than most people would think necessary (3 more if you read the Daily Mail) they all have a purpose and all do miles per annum that can be measured in the 1000's. I wouldn't keep a bike just for the sake of it.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    They are happier when their wheels are turning. An imprisoned bike is an unhappy thing.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itboffin wrote:
    Truth is I could store them but why when someone else could actually use them, I have enough parts to make bike 9 that's not good.

So the ribble has a standard 27.2 seat post, not sure about the clamp as it came fitted, this is the full spec

It's a fair point. I'm a bugger for putting stuff in a box on the off chance that it'll come in handy. If you do sell a bike or two you'll only end up buying another with all the cash it's freed up.

Did you buy your Ribble frame only when it came with a seat clamp fitted?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    MatHammond wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    One nice bike, one commuter/training bike, one fetish bike i.e. a crosser or mtb.

A man after my own heart! I could be tempted by a tt bike at some point as well...

If you haven't got time to ride a bike, its a waste of space - give it to a good home. Whilst my 3 are 2 more than most people would think necessary (3 more if you read the Daily Mail) they all have a purpose and all do miles per annum that can be measured in the 1000's. I wouldn't keep a bike just for the sake of it.

Yep my thoughts exactly hence i've just posted the TT on the classified :cry:

I'm even going to sell the Mercian i just dont need a FGSS or an old skool tourer, it's all gotta go :cry::cry:

If it wasn't for the fact that I live in the deepest countryside the MTB would be for the chop too, in fact apart from the snow and the old Friday trip to London it's does nothing but hang on the garage wall.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:
    Truth is I could store them but why when someone else could actually use them, I have enough parts to make bike 9 that's not good.

So the ribble has a standard 27.2 seat post, not sure about the clamp as it came fitted, this is the full spec

It's a fair point. I'm a bugger for putting stuff in a box on the off chance that it'll come in handy. If you do sell a bike or two you'll only end up buying another with all the cash it's freed up.

Did you buy your Ribble frame only when it came with a seat clamp fitted?

Yeh it was part of the package, frame, clamp & headset for £110 + delivery, thing is once you add groupset it kinda gets expensive :?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    itboffin wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Yep my thoughts exactly hence i've just posted the TT on the classified :cry:

I'm even going to sell the Mercian i just dont need a FGSS or an old skool tourer, it's all gotta go :cry::cry:

If it wasn't for the fact that I live in the deepest countryside the MTB would be for the chop too, in fact apart from the snow and the old Friday trip to London it's does nothing but hang on the garage wall.

Is the Mercian the one with all the paint stripped off? I've had a bit of a hankering for a Mercian, but can't really justify getting one made for me at the moment.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• itboffin
    No the Mercian is the FGSS in my sig. it's been everything from FGSS, fast roadie to Audax tourer with panniers :shock:

Tiz a beautiful frame very light for a steel bike, I really wanted to get it resprayed and fit the carbon forks I have for it but that involves time/money and more effort than I can be arsed with.

The stripped frame is also a very nice custom 531 I was just taking photos and thought to myself yet again "that's a really nice frame" I've lost count the number of times it's been going then rebuilt :lol:

some photos here http://www.flickr.com/photos/itboffin/sets/72157624476466083/
  • rjsterry
    itboffin wrote:
    No the Mercian is the FGSS in my sig. it's been everything from FGSS, fast roadie to Audax tourer with panniers :shock:

Tiz a beautiful frame very light for a steel bike, I really wanted to get it resprayed and fit the carbon forks I have for it but that involves time/money and more effort than I can be arsed with.

The stripped frame is also a very nice custom 531 I was just taking photos and thought to myself yet again "that's a really nice frame" I've lost count the number of times it's been going then rebuilt :lol:

Ah, thought so, but also remembered seeing a stripped frame, and wondered if they were the same thing. What size is the Mercian?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• itboffin
    rjsterry wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Ah, thought so, but also remembered seeing a stripped frame, and wondered if they were the same thing. What size is the Mercian?

I was under the impression that it was 56cm however I measured it as 57cm that said I not feeling myself lately so I could well be totally wrong :lol:

it is a beauty though

3273628907_7916bf8c1f.jpg
  • rjsterry
    I do have a bit of a thing about lugs, so I won't disagree with your last comment.

My current frame is 59cm centre of BB to top of seat tube, but I don't have my seat post that high (about 75cm overall 'inside leg' - i.e. centre of BB to top of saddle), so not that far off. I'll have a bit of a think overnight, but I'm certainly interested to find out what you'd want for it - PM if you prefer. Would you be selling it as shown in that picture just posted?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• itboffin
    rjsterry wrote:
    I do have a bit of a thing about lugs, so I won't disagree with your last comment.

My current frame is 59cm centre of BB to top of seat tube, but I don't have my seat post that high (about 75cm overall 'inside leg' - i.e. centre of BB to top of saddle), so not that far off. I'll have a bit of a think overnight, but I'm certainly interested to find out what you'd want for it - PM if you prefer. Would you be selling it as shown in that picture just posted?

Prob not I think just frame & forks with headset (Record) oh and bars and stem. I could leave the bottom bracket in but to be honest it's a track BB Miche Pista so heavy and really too short for a proper crankset besides BB are peanuts.

Not though about cost, open to reasonable offers ;-) and before you ask no not Guinness :lol:
  • itboffin
    That's one down, good by lovely TT :cry:

two more to go.

Grab yourself a bit of cycle history, classic hand built Mercian http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12718642

or

The perfect FGSS Reynolds 531 steel project http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12718646