Saddle sore

sian_c
sian_c Posts: 101
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm posting this on behalf of my boyfriend who's been suffering a bit with "cyclists behind", aka being saddle sore!

He's always had a bit of a moan about it, but prompted to write on here as he's just got back on his bike after a 5-week break (been working overseas), and is finding it incredibly painful after only a couple of days back on the bike. In fact, he said today that he's got a "small lump in his groin", he thinks where the front right of the seat contacts. He wears padded cycling shorts (Altura Progel), and has a 'relatively' short commute of around 20mins each way.

What he wants to know is, "is this normal"??

Comments

• Hmmmm... Well, his shorts seem to be well padded, and the commute is short. I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark here; This boyfriend of yours, did he go to public school? Does he talk wistfully about his governess?

I think by now, the "working away" line might be becoming clearer.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    He could try some chamois cream (there's a thread currently going on here about it) which should help. If he could find someone to apply it, I'm sure he'd be even happier!

He should also check that his saddle is level.

20 mins isn't long though. He might want to get himself checked by someone medically qualified just to be sure that it isn't cycling that's causing it but something that's there being aggravated by cycling.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Maybe he has just got sensitive skin. Little bit of sudocream - very very little - should fix it.
  • DCowling
    DCowling Posts: 769
    I would think ant lump in the groin area would warrent further inspection
    fnarr fnarr :lol:

seriously he should get a doc to look at it if it does not go down over the next day or two
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Hmmmm... Well, his shorts seem to be well padded, and the commute is short. I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark here; This boyfriend of yours, did he go to public school? Does he talk wistfully about his governess?

I think by now, the "working away" line might be becoming clearer.

You owe me a coffee and a new laptop :lol:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Altura - IMHO Altura stuff is shite. Maybe look at some batter shorts, check saddle positioning, try another saddle. Or just tellhim to MTFU, you get used to it after a while. When I got on my bike after 3 months off I was in pain for a week or so as I adjusted.

p.s - does he have one of those really squishy saddles? If so a firmer one may help - counter-intuitive but true.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    Maybe look at some batter shorts.

For the purposes of clarification for our Scottish commuters that is a typo not a delicacy
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • sian_c
    I should've known what I was letting myself in for with these replies :lol:

Thanks for the cream tip - I forgot, but I've got a bit of bepanthen that I used on saddle sores when I did LEJOG a few years back. And will do the saddle check (which isn't a silly super-soft one, as I'm with you on that not being the way to go).

I use the same Altura shorts and although Altura in general are 'cheap', I've had a few different pairs of shorts in the past, and these are actually pretty comfy, probably because the have the added gel as well as standard padding.

And as for the suggestion to 'MTFU' - fair enough if it's just a feeling of being uncomfortable sitting on a saddle again as inevitably happens after a break, but having actual saddle sores (as seems to be the case) I think is a different matter...

Will have to get my doctor's coat on later (I am actually a Dr! but of volcanoes, so not that useful in this case) & check out the situation more fully :wink:
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    sian_c wrote:
    I should've known what I was letting myself in for with these replies :lol:

Thanks for the cream tip - I forgot, but I've got a bit of bepanthen that I used on saddle sores when I did LEJOG a few years back. And will do the saddle check (which isn't a silly super-soft one, as I'm with you on that not being the way to go).

I use the same Altura shorts and although Altura in general are 'cheap', I've had a few different pairs of shorts in the past, and these are actually pretty comfy, probably because the have the added gel as well as standard padding.

And as for the suggestion to 'MTFU' - fair enough if it's just a feeling of being uncomfortable sitting on a saddle again as inevitably happens after a break, but having actual saddle sores (as seems to be the case) I think is a different matter...

Will have to get my doctor's coat on later (I am actually a Dr! but of volcanoes, so not that useful in this case) & check out the situation more fully :wink:

Point 1 - you use the same shorts - get him to stop using ladies cycle gear, no wonder he has problems! Does he wear any other of your clothes?
    Point 2 - au contrair! Prepare yourself for a violent eruption as you explore the crater rim.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    A Dr of volcanoes! If the saddle sore proves fatal, look me up.
    <3<3<3
  • sian_c wrote:
    probably because the have the added gel as well as standard padding.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that some gel inserts actually do more harm than good, as they stop the pad from wicking away moisture. I know that whenever I've had soreness, it's when I've had to ride a long time in the rain.

Anyway, back on track: Does he have a large collection of riding crops and a special friend he calls, 'Nursey'?
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    if he has developed a bad saddle sore they can turn into an abcess, if this is the case then he needs to go to the doctors.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I have a commute of about the same distance and I don't wear padded shorts - maybe he should try it. Developing soreness after riding a couple of times over a short distance is not good - maybe he should see a doctor
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Sore is one thing, a lump on the other hand would be more of a concern. Is it a worrying lump or just a spot? If in any doubt I would get it checked out.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    sian_c wrote:

Well - that's not very logical....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Kieran_Burns
    Actually - being serious: a lump down there is really no laughing matter (having lost a family member to T cancer) I would speculate that the soreness is due to the lump, not the other way 'round.

In which case get him to a Doctor, preferably one with warm hands
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Maybe look at some batter shorts.

For the purposes of clarification for our Scottish commuters that is a typo not a delicacy
    Damn - I thought I'd hit upon a convenient way to transport breakfast with me to work.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    biondino wrote:
    <3<3<3

My god man you're as bad as me!

Ooh btw Coast is on BBC HD tonight, mmmm HD Dr Alice (drool)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    prawny wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    <3<3<3

Ahem, bbc4 next tuesday at 9
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    prawny wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    <3<3<3

I am a big fan of Miranda....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    I know this may sound a bit silly, but is he wearing normal underwear under his padded shorts? I only ask because I did, and that was what caused me to have a similar problem with soreness. Definitely commando for me from now on.
  • sian_c
    My my.... Thanks for the offer biondino, but I'm afraid I go for humans rather than squid-like alien beings.

Boyf decided to make a doctor's appointment to get said 'lump' checked out. Even if it is just a regular saddle sore, he decided it best to get it checked as it seems odd for that to appear so quickly, so best to go see someone about it.

Hadn't considered the breathability issue with the gel inserts. I think the gel is mainly at the back (seat bone area) rather than at the front where the sore seems to have appeared, so I'm not sure if that would be the cause.

He checked his saddle yesterday & seems to be level. He's now wondering if he just needs to try a different saddle, as he's feeling pretty uncomfortable generally. I know some places do ass measuring to fit you to the right saddle - does anyone know of either a 'chain' store (excuse the pun!) that does this, or else a shop in the Bristol area? I find the whole saddle choosing a total stab in the dark effort. I was lucky that the one that was provided with my bike (a lady-specific one) seems to be comfy for me.
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    The arse-measurement won't help much with any forward-sores, as it just checks the distance between your sit-bones (I had mine, er, measured at the Specialized concept store on Park St).

Could it be that the saddle is a little far back, so instead of being properly on his sit-bones he is actually resting on squishier bits further forward?

I found a woman's specific saddle I got was padded but still firm in an angular way that discomforted me - I switched to a Charge Ladle which has barely any padding in comparison and it's much nicer :)

Oh, also could it be the nose of the saddle is a bit wide, and he's rubbing onto it while he pedals?

Finally - Bristol! Hmm, we should get people down the pub again...
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • sian_c
    Thanks sarajoy - I'll get him to call in to Spesh on Park St. I agree that the measurement wouldn't sort out the sore issue at the front, but he gets aches & pains at the back too, which may well be down to the saddle shape/size/design.

Good thought about the width of the nose too. Perhaps if the measurement comes back that he has quite narrow hips then maybe that might be a causative factor in rubbing at the front. All food for thought.... I guess he'll have to spend some time sat on his bike actually thinking about why he thinks it might be happening.
  • sian_c
    Boy Lard wrote:
    I know this may sound a bit silly, but is he wearing normal underwear under his padded shorts? I only ask because I did, and that was what caused me to have a similar problem with soreness. Definitely commando for me from now on.

Sorry, only just saw this post... Nope, he's a commando!
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    'where the front right of the seat contacts' - is the sore actually on his very upper thigh? If not then this advice is worthless, but you can get sores from too wide a saddle/pad combo - depending on what the doc says he should probably look at changing the saddle.

I'm presuming he wears a fresh pair of shorts every day...? It could also be the edge of the pad rubbing, so maybe some new shorts?
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I used to get saddle sores on my rumble strip

Chamois cream applied liberally has had me sore free for two years - I even apply it sometimes before I cycle. I'd post pictures but site rules etc etc...

Skinny road saddle and adjusted properly, lots of Chamois cream he'll be good as new..

Good luck to your "boyfriend" about "his" little problem.... Does he have any other problems "he'd" like to share? Hmmmm?

Also
    SianC wrote:

If he's actually a Royal and is trying to tell you that the sores in his crotch are from riding a bike for 20 mins - he's probably right - and you should have a chat with the quack...

There again - if he's Rm it's probably down to borrowing your too tight knickers to go to the gym in.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Check that his hygiene is above average...cycle in, shorts off, wash...cycle home, shorts off, wash etc. As simple as it sounds, if I sit around in sweaty shorts for any length of time I get spots in my groin, you could also call them lumps I suppose. After washing get him to clean the area with surgical spirit, this will ultra clean and harden the skin (not to the feel!) so that he is less prone to infection in the future.

My cleaning routine on the undercarriage is maybe a bit over the top, but I do lots of miles, and I never have problems now.
  • sian_c
    Greg T wrote:
    Also
    SianC wrote:

If he's actually a Royal and is trying to tell you that the sores in his crotch are from riding a bike for 20 mins - he's probably right - and you should have a chat with the quack...

There again - if he's Rm it's probably down to borrowing your too tight knickers to go to the gym in.

He's not an actual commando :P

And he is actually a very clean boy :) so it's definitely not a hygiene issue. We had another chat about it last night & it turns out that it's not an external lump - there's no visible sign of anything there, so I'm actually now doubtful that it's a saddle sore (in the traditional sense). The 'lump' was more internal. Not sure if perhaps he just sat awkwardly on his saddle on Monday & didn't notice, but it caused some aggravation. He drove to work yesterday (in case he managed to get a doctor's appointment) & said this morning that it seems to have gone down some. No doubt if he got straight back on his bike it would flair up again though. He's going to see the nurse this evening, so hopefully she might have an idea.
  • Kieran_Burns
    He's not been sitting on one of his testicles has he? :? :wink:

muttermutterlogicalmutternobuggergotthejokemutter
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X