naive question

13»

Comments

• Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    KST/the vast majority of other ladies would not care, but trackstanding, as long as done well (see my last post) is cool, even to the lay-lady.

But is it more or less cool on a geared bike over a fixie?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Sorry, I can normally work these out, but KST?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Aidy
    rjsterry wrote:
    Sorry, I can normally work these out, but KST?

Kristin Scott Thomas - introduced earlier in the thread :)
  • rjsterry
    Aha, missed that earlier.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Aidy wrote:
    KST/the vast majority of other ladies would not care, but trackstanding, as long as done well (see my last post) is cool, even to the lay-lady.

The lay-lady won't be able to tell the difference between a geared bike and a SS. All they will see is that you have paused without putting a foot down. This may impress them, they may not notice, or may think you're a prat.

On a single speed, it's not easy to tell whether the bike is SS or FG, especially while it's trackstanding, and the vast majority of cycling ladies won't really know the difference between SS and FG, and won't know how hard/easy it is to trackstand on any given variety of bike.

Furthermore, many a cycling lady will categorize trackstanding with wheelies, ie something rather childish that you really ought to have grown out of by now.

So, in conclusion, although trackstanding on a skinny-tyred geared bike is probably rather tricky, you're really only going to be appreciated by a minute percentage of the female population.
  • Aidy
    Aidy wrote:

The lay-lady won't be able to tell the difference between a geared bike and a SS. All they will see is that you have paused without putting a foot down. This may impress them, they may not notice, or may think you're a prat.

On a single speed, it's not easy to tell whether the bike is SS or FG, especially while it's trackstanding, and the vast majority of cycling ladies won't really know the difference between SS and FG, and won't know how hard/easy it is to trackstand on any given variety of bike.

Furthermore, many a cycling lady will categorize trackstanding with wheelies, ie something rather childish that you really ought to have grown out of by now.

So, in conclusion, although trackstanding on a skinny-tyred geared bike is probably rather tricky, you're really only going to be appreciated by a minute percentage of the female population.

I shall have to find some other way of impressing them then :(
  • rjsterry
    Aidy wrote:

Although if that's the minute percentage you are trying to impress, then Bingo! Niche marketing?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Aidy wrote:

Getting drunk and demonstrating your favourite knife fighting moves?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    However, its cool is mitigated by the fact that you're a man on a bike. Some women will find this sexy, others will not. I reckon there's about a 70/30 split in favour of 'not'.

I think that's a bit generous!!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Aidy
    Greg T wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

Getting drunk and demonstrating your favourite knife fighting moves?

You mean I have to start drinking too?!
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    supersonic wrote:
    I can trackstand no handed with gears. So there.
    Ha. I can nosestand.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Where would this guy be on the KST scale?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

He'd be in with the posers, and the folk with way too much time on their hands, and the ones who haven't grown up yet.

None of these are very good categories on the KST scale...
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

my guess would be that....the traffic lights would change to green, just as he gets both legs over the handlebars....he will then be mown down by 14 bendy buses, 2 A-Class mercedes, some kind of horrible american jeep type thing and a guy on a brompton.

Definately not cool or sexy.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.