London Bike Hire - expenses

2»

Comments

• rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    rf6 wrote:
    There are plenty of local authorities who pay expenses for staff who use their bikes instead of their cars when going about authority work. I don't really follow that it's a problem with H&S as a careful and competent cyclist will take reasonable care of their own and other's health and safety.

I work for a police authority and after some lobbying we got bike mileage expenses and they even appear of the claim form now. 'Risk Averse' organisations can do it if they think about it without falling back on the hackneyed old H&S standard.

do they allow you expenses for using your own bike? and if so, I'm guessing the Boris Bile scheme costs more than they would have to cough up (20p a mile as a rough idea) for the wear and tear on your own machine.

Yes, the rates were for your own bike, it was introduced a long time ago and I can't remember what the rates were. They were introduced by the county council, and retained by the unitary authorities when they were created.

I just think it makes sense, especially in central London which from my occasional visit always seems to be gridlocked. H&S just seems to make people loses any perspective. I've been to Barcelona as mentioned above. They have a popular bike hire scheme, and it seems to work fine there.
  • tjwood
    tjwood Posts: 328
    A couple of years ago I worked for a "Big 4" accountancy firm - you can't get more risk averse than them! They introduced a policy of allowing staff to claim a mileage rate for every mile cycled on company business (which could be claimed in place of the car mileage allowance for those journeys). I can't remember what the rate was (it was much less than the 40p a mile for driving - perhaps 15p?).