London Bike Hire - expenses

Sewinman
Sewinman Posts: 2,131
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Someone at work asked HR if we could claim expenses for using the London cycle scheme to go to meetings. Apparently we are not allowed to do so for 'health and safety' reasons.

Anyone else come across this?

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    What? That's insane!

Don't you work for hippies anyway or something? ;)
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    Sewinman wrote:
    Someone at work asked HR if we could claim expenses for using the London cycle scheme to go to meetings. Apparently we are not allowed to do so for 'health and safety' reasons.

The use of "health and safety reasons" to mean "this is too hard to think about so I shall not"?

Yes, I have come across that many, many times indeed.

George
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    What? That's insane!

Don't you work for hippies anyway or something? ;)

I know - if my organistion does not do this then there is no hope! :roll:

The justification was "H&S, insurance etc".
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Actually - have you seen the cost breakdown... We had admitedly had a few pints with lunch but it looked really rather expensive - or downright mental.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    edited July 2010
    http://twitter.com/LDN/status/19560506804
    It is cheaper to hire a StreetCar for 24hrs (http://bit.ly/bdeiwI) than a Boris bike (http://bit.ly/903dK8) (via @LondonYank @streetcarhq)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    JonGinge wrote:

It is cheaper to hire a StreetCar for 24hrs (http://bit.ly/bdeiwI) than a Boris bike (http://bit.ly/903dK8) (via @LondonYank @streetcarhq)

the pricing structure is deliberately biased to be very expensive for longer periods of time. If everyone hires them for 24h then there are none in the racks where they are needed.
    <a>road</a>
  • jonginge
    JonGinge wrote:

the pricing structure is deliberately biased to be very expensive for longer periods of time. If everyone hires them for 24h then there are none in the racks where they are needed.
    I know. Twas just an informative, comparative tweet
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

well it's neither really - it doesn't tell you how much each cost therefore not very informative and you are comparing 2 different things therefore not very comparative.
    <a>road</a>
  • jonginge
    JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

well it's neither really - it doesn't tell you how much each cost therefore not very informative and you are comparing 2 different things therefore not very comparative.
    ok
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • lost_in_thought
    Actually - have you seen the cost breakdown... We had admitedly had a few pints with lunch but it looked really rather expensive - or downright mental.

On what basis, MM? Only reason I ask is that I can't really imagine a situation where you'd need to cycle for more than about 1.5 hours, indeed, you can cross zone one east-west in 45 minutes, in which instance I think it's cheaper than oyster...

£1 for 1.5 hours of cycling even at 10mph would get you plenty far enough, no?
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Sewinman wrote:

Are you allowed to walk to meetings?

It'd be interesting to see a justification for this.... I can't see how it would stack up!

Out of interest, what's their policy on motorcycling between sites?

Cheers,
    W.
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    There are plenty of local authorities who pay expenses for staff who use their bikes instead of their cars when going about authority work. I don't really follow that it's a problem with H&S as a careful and competent cyclist will take reasonable care of their own and other's health and safety.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Sewinman wrote:

It'd be interesting to see a justification for this.... I can't see how it would stack up!

Cheers,
    W.

My employer categorically does not allow motorcycles for use on company business, and require a company vice president to approve bicycle use on company business.

Commutes to and from your regular place of work are of course exempt from this.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    WesternWay wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

The use of "health and safety reasons" to mean "this is too hard to think about so I shall not"?

Yes, I have come across that many, many times indeed.

George

Yeah I ageree, spurious "health and safety" legislation is usually invoked when people can't be bothered to actually think round a problem or consider a solution. It's the bane of modern existence. I wouldn't have even asked, I would have just made the decision for them and just given them the ticket as an expense as usual... They probably wouldn't have bothered questioning it as that takes effort. People, like water, tend to take the path of least resistence.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494

On what basis, MM? Only reason I ask is that I can't really imagine a situation where you'd need to cycle for more than about 1.5 hours, indeed, you can cross zone one east-west in 45 minutes, in which instance I think it's cheaper than oyster...

Exactly, the bike hire costing is set up to ensure that people DON'T take bikes for more than about an hour at the most as they want the maximum number of bikes available at any time. If people take them away for 24 hours, perhaps locking them to a railing while they do a bit of shopping etc, then the 6000 bikes (or however many there are) will be very quickly out of circulation. That's also the reason locks are not provided. The idea of the scheme is that you walk to the docking station, pick up the bike, cycle to the nearest docking station to your destination (perhaps a 20 minute ride across part of central London), deposit the bike at the docking station, then walk the rest of the way to your ultimate end point. Just like you would walk to the Tube station, take the Tube for a few stops, come out of the station near your destination and walk.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    JonGinge wrote:

Is it though?
    Considering we are only talking Central London, which is where the cycle hire scheme currently exists.

You've still got to park the thing, which costs an arm and a leg in Central London Car Park. and I assume with Car Club you are also responsible for fuel.

Finally, your journey is unlikely to be as quick as a bicycle will be, so what's the point?
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    Does anyone know how many more doccking points there are than bikes? It would be very annoying to hire a bike, then discover there are no empty docking point at your destiniation. If it's 1:1, then I can envisage a situation where there are no empty slots within a reasonable distance, cycling round for 10 minutes to find one, and you end up being charged for what should have been a free journey.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    lardboy wrote:
    Does anyone know how many more doccking points there are than bikes? It would be very annoying to hire a bike, then discover there are no empty docking point at your destiniation. If it's 1:1, then I can envisage a situation where there are no empty slots within a reasonable distance, cycling round for 10 minutes to find one, and you end up being charged for what should have been a free journey.

In the event there is no docking station available, a map at each site points out several other sites close by. They're only ever around five minutes' walk from each other. Not ideal, but not the end of the world either.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Sewinman wrote:

Cheers,
    W.

Especially when you see the DofT figures that show per km travelled cycling is safer than walking

I'm sure someone will quote the link
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    For a team building thing - my company - a major international had a treasure hunt on bikes. Around Barcelona - and some of the people hadnt been on bikes for years. No helmets either - and we all survived.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493

good luck doing it in 45 mins on one of those bikes. they weigh a tonne and the gearing isn't amazing.
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    It seems to me that if you used a bike at least once a week for a 2-3 mile trip, thus keeping within the 30 minute free zone and then came back again you would cover your £45 membership cost if you were able to claim the standard 20p per mile allowance on expenses.

Not sure yet what the guidance from HMRC will be but I would hope to be able to offset the £45 as well. I would have hoped that the majority of employers will allow staff to claim the £45 on expenses, although if Sewinman can't its not looking good for the rest of us...

I assume the docking station outside the Morpeth will be popular :wink:
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    What about for the next meet, we have to all hire one and cycle round London? :lol:
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    I may have missed the discussion but...

What's their FCN?

My first stab would be 14 or so (!), presumably with a couple extra for the rider, since I expect few will be riding them in lycra...

There's gonna be a few bruised egos about when they're being ridden by fast cyclists who don't have their usual bike with them, I think!! Imagine the shame... :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    gaz545 wrote:

good luck doing it in 45 mins on one of those bikes. they weigh a tonne and the gearing isn't amazing.

but i'm still looking forward to using them. I hope to be able to go from Kings X to Waterloo/Vauxhall instead of taking the tube on my business trips down south. Is there a decent map of locations yet?

Can't see me persuading Mrs BW to use them at any point soon though
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    rf6 wrote:
    There are plenty of local authorities who pay expenses for staff who use their bikes instead of their cars when going about authority work. I don't really follow that it's a problem with H&S as a careful and competent cyclist will take reasonable care of their own and other's health and safety.

I work for a police authority and after some lobbying we got bike mileage expenses and they even appear of the claim form now. 'Risk Averse' organisations can do it if they think about it without falling back on the hackneyed old H&S standard.

do they allow you expenses for using your own bike? and if so, I'm guessing the Boris Bile scheme costs more than they would have to cough up (20p a mile as a rough idea) for the wear and tear on your own machine.
  • lost_in_thought
    gaz545 wrote:

I used to manage liverpool street to high street ken in 45 minutes on the 'old commuter' (pic link in sig) which has pretty spinny gearing and is so heavy I struggle to lift it (and I'm not a waif).
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    gaz545 wrote:

I used to manage liverpool street to high street ken in 45 minutes on the 'old commuter' (pic link in sig) which has pretty spinny gearing and is so heavy I struggle to lift it (and I'm not a waif).
    hmmm it would be intresting to see if you could do that in near that time. The 3 times i have ridden the bike, i found it hard going fast or keeping a high speed up, the position you sit in makes you want to go slow. Maybe that was just me.
  • lost_in_thought
    gaz545 wrote:
    gaz545 wrote:

hmmm it would be intresting to see if you could do that in near that time. The 3 times i have ridden the bike, i found it hard going fast or keeping a high speed up, the position you sit in makes you want to go slow. Maybe that was just me.

Or, equally, it was me being a hyper-competitive nutjob on the old commuter! :D
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Or, equally, it was me being a hyper-competitive nutjob on the old commuter! :D

You say that like it only happens on the old bike :)