I learnt something new! (a yay thread)

Bling Bling
Bling Bling Posts: 67
edited August 2010 in MTB beginners
Most people will no doubt scoff at my mechanical naivety but really, I'm very excited about this. Today, I learnt how to remove, fix and replace a punctured inner tube! The best bit was the moment I went, "Oh, that wasn't hard at all."

Anyone else learnt something new - be it mechanical or on the trail - that they want to say yay about? :D

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I learnt how to use an SSL recording console. :D (sort of)
  • phal44
    phal44 Posts: 240
    I learnt how to use my new co2 inflator thingy :)
  • booldawg
    booldawg Posts: 290
    I replaced the middle chain ring on my old Scott. For me that was a huge technical undertaking.

I'd like to learn how to tune up my gear mechs. No matter how many tutorial vids on YouTube I watch its still an arcane dark art to me!
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I was in a LBS on Saturday when a guy wheeled his bike up to the counter, apparently he had been out on a ride when his chain had snapped... :o He had to push it 4 miles home... :?

Now, I'm no mechanical genius (far from it actually), but even I carry two chain tools (my preffered Park offering and one that is built in to my multi-tool) and a small bag of power links with me when out and about.

The guy in the shop very quickly put it back together for him and didn't take any cash for doing so, which I thought was nice of him, but why didn't he show him what to do and sell the necessary bits so that he wasn't caught short again? It wasn't a young lad either, the guy was well in to his fifties. He was a nice guy and I even mentioned that he should buy some powerlinks for the future :idea: , but it seemed to go straight over his head, so I bought my new bite valve, lube & bar end plugs and left.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • BigShot
    BigShot Posts: 151
    I learned how to fix the once-per-pedal revolution CRACK noise coming from the probably-dead bottom bracket by putting some well needed grease around the top of the seat tube to stop the bone-dry seat post from making a CRACK noise every pedal revolution.

:oops:
  • jacob2910
    jacob2910 Posts: 218
    i learned how to replace brake pads on hydro brakes (it was pretty easy really ) :D
  • phal44
    phal44 Posts: 240
    BigShot wrote:
    I learned how to fix the once-per-pedal revolution CRACK noise coming from the probably-dead bottom bracket by putting some well needed grease around the top of the seat tube to stop the bone-dry seat post from making a CRACK noise every pedal revolution.

:oops:

Yeah I had that recently lol
  • Uchiga
    Uchiga Posts: 230
    I Learnt That Merlin Cycles Can Be Late In Delivering Items During The Week Especially During The Holiday Season... Nothign Wrong With Merlin cycles Just dont expect your mail two days after you order it...
  • This week I learnt that I should really check how much degreaser I actually have in the can before I start cleaning down my bike, nothing worse than leaving a job half done :(
  • belugabob
    belugabob Posts: 158
    I learned to check whether the bike shop actually fitted the stiffer spring that I asked them to, when I bought the bike. (Because i'm 'heavy')
    Only took me 2 years to notice :oops: (because I didn't do my own fork servicing until recently, and I'd never had suspension forks before)

(Yes, my signature has been like that for a long time, It has - mostly - served me well and is appropriate for this thread)

If you didn't learn anything today, you weren't paying attention!
  • SPIRO
    SPIRO Posts: 200
    PaulBox wrote:
    so I bought my new bite valve, lube & end plugs and left.

You sure you were in a bike shop and not a, Ahem, establishment for gentlemen of the other persuasion! :lol::wink:

Sorry, childish, but couldnt resist
  • I learnt that my recently purchased merino retro-styled log-sleeve jersey is really, really warm. And then wondered if I would ever actually need to wear it whilst cycling. I can probably get away with wearing it to the pub though, so all is not lost.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Today I relaised (again) that riding in the rain isn't actually as bad as I expect it to be. Especially if there is a warm shower waiting at the end of the ride.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    edited July 2010
    Today I realised that riding in the rain isn't so bad... But V-brakes are crap.

and if you forget your innertube and go to a trail centre... Expect big cash outlay. :shock:
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Anonymous
    i learned all about isis bottom brackets yesterday if that counts.
  • bwfc4eva868
    bwfc4eva868 Posts: 717
    I learnt today not to go down a hill without sussing a route out first. i ended up in a river :lol:

But on a more serious note, i leart how o fit chain and sprockets on my motorbike the othr day :D
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    Early bath!
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • bwfc4eva868
    bwfc4eva868 Posts: 717
    I'd of took some Radox with me if i knew there was a river :D
  • Catfish
    Catfish Posts: 141
    I learnt how to use auto scetch 10, and that it is les fun fixing a flat trail side than in the comfort of your workshop.
  • Today I learnt that disc brakes get very hot when being used for braking...............................
    I'm not fat, I'm big boned......
  • Really? I didn't know that. A new thing every day :)
  • Anonymous
    Today I learnt that disc brakes get very hot when being used for braking...............................
    EPIC facepalm :lol:
    Pics or it didn't happen, come on, what part of you did you burn?
  • Today I learnt that disc brakes get very hot when being used for braking...............................
    EPIC facepalm :lol:
    Pics or it didn't happen, come on, what part of you did you burn?

Sorry, no pics and fingers only.

I have a scabby horsefly bite if that helps.........
  • Anonymous
    I have a scabby horsefly bite
    Is that what you kids are calling them these days?
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    :lol: I had a very shiny line down my thumb for a few weeks when learning this.
  • I have a scabby horsefly bite
    Is that what you kids are calling them these days?

At 52 years this year, I am now going out to get pyssed after the "you kids" thing.

Yo, dude :D
  • Anonymous
    Used to call them axe wounds or something in my days. Obviously you olde worlde slang threw me off :lol:
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    This morning I learnt that drinking too much beer then going for an Indian leaves me feeling very ill and wondering why the bath has sick in it.

Unfortunately I have a very bad memory so by next saturday I will probably have forgotten.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • eebygum
    eebygum Posts: 49
    today I learnt that getting a front mech with a 28.6mm clamp size can be a pain in the ass.
  • eebygum
    eebygum Posts: 49
    then I also learnt about shims :)