Best ride(r)s of the 2010 Tour.

2»

Comments

• Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Surprised to see so many surprised at van den Broeck's performance.

I figured top 5 for him was expected?

Certainly was with me, given the massive emphasis on climbing this year.

Finished 7th in the giro 2008 behind Ricco, Sella and Pellizotti who were later banned. This made him best young rider. Last year's performance was spoilt by a fall at the start of the team time trial as the team didnt wait and he lost a lot of time. After that he concentrated on breakaways. Did well at the Dauphine. Am regretting not putting money on him when he was 18-1 to finish in the top 6 :shock:

Wouldn't say top five was expected, but he was clearly going to have a great tour. I bet on him to finish in the top ten which obviously came in so pretty chuffed with that.
  • xover_runner
    xover_runner Posts: 228
    The best rider cannot seriously be in dispute...Vinokourov!

What a monster. He did everything he could and more.

Chavanel gets an honoury mention.

Nobody else was mind blowing for me, I don't think the best rider can be a defensive rider like most of the top 10. The best rider should be able to chew legs off of his competition.

I would like to add Schleck but I think his tactics were shoot. :lol:

Isn't that what what Schleck and Contador did on the Tourmalet?
  • k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    Ryder Hejsedal, definitely!

x2
    who cares?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Finished 7th in the giro 2008 behind Ricco, Sella and Pellizotti who were later banned. This made him best young rider. Last year's performance was spoilt by a fall at the start of the team time trial as the team didnt wait and he lost a lot of time. After that he concentrated on breakaways. Did well at the Dauphine. Am regretting not putting money on him when he was 18-1 to finish in the top 6 :shock:

Wouldn't say top five was expected, but he was clearly going to have a great tour. I bet on him to finish in the top ten which obviously came in so pretty chuffed with that.

Michel Wuyt's nationalist optimism must have permeated my brain... :P
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Being welsh I would say Geraint.
    he rode well first week, very strong TT's, a 2nd place and rode well for EBH and WIggo.
    Sky look to have strong leadout coming on, so with a bit more experience and oomph, they need is a top sprinter, CAv/Renshaw next year or year after?
    For teh french cannpt fault Chavanel for effort.
    Contador is still the best bit I think in TT he just did enough as required.
    He willwin again next year
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Is Geraint the top finishing Welshman ever now? :wink:

Chavanel for me, always looking to attack and a fantastic stage win. Valls of Footon was impressive in the second week too.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850

I bet on him to finish top 6 so was also pretty chuffed with that.

He's going to have to (re) learn to TT if he's going to kick on tho, but I can see him winning a Vuelta or podiuming (is that a verb?) in a tough Giro

Michel Wuyt's nationalist optimism must have permeated my brain... :P

Strava is not Zen.
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    Chavanel was the best rider of this year's Tour, 3 months ago the guy broke his skull, and then he came back to a quick step team that was rudderless without Boonen, won 2 stages (who cares what happened with the peloton at Spa, he dropped his breakaway companions and rode with great nous), including a brilliant ride to station des rousses. would have worn the yellow for longer had it not been for punctures on the roubaix stage.

chavanel used to be one of those all mouth and no trouser frenchmen who were paid lots but won little. he's really come good since 2008.

Other highlights: menchov, sanchez (though i wish he'd done more of his daredevil descending), VDB and hejesdal, cavendish picked himself up again well, BBox team.Andy Schleck

lowlights: wiggins and sky in general, armstrong, sastre, hushovd, david millar (was hoping to see more of his attacks up front). Frank Schleck (a little unfair some might say)
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    cunego also on list of underperformers, as is Evans and the whole BMC team
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    How can Evans be labelled an underachiever given he was in yellow when the pain of his broken elbow effectively ended his challenge?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Bit harsh to say Millar underachieved. He did well in the prologue then smashed his ribs up on Stage 2. Did well to finish. Same with Cuddles.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    VDV? Bad ride?

Or just unlucky?
  • Mr Smooth
    Mr Smooth Posts: 70
    Impressed by:
    Navarro - fantastic work for Contador
    Armstrong - for not moaning (not his riding)
    Cancellara - the way he road the pave - virtually towed the rest along
    Schleck - at least matching Contador in the hills
    Contador - 'cos he was good enough to win.
    Cavendish - head and shoulders above, espec on C. Elysee
    Felt sorry for:
    Millar - after crash
    Evans - as above
    F Schleck and VandeVelde for their early exit

Dissappointed in:
    Wiggins
    Basso

But the above list is very different from the riders I like!
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    +1 Mr Smooth...agree with almost all of that!