Best ride(r)s of the 2010 Tour.

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited July 2010 in Pro race
As the title says. Now that the Tour is coming to a close, it's as good a time as any to reflect on the past 3 weeks.

For me: Chavanel's second win. That kind of win & effort is rarely found in the Tour, especially in week one.

Comments

• takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Cav. Clearly he's the fastest sprinter but given his season so far and the first few days, the fact that we're still talking about him as a contender for green shows how well he's done.

Andy's ride on the cobbles, taking time out when everybody expected him to lose time
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Not quite on the same level, but I was pretty impressed with Raphael Valls. Sure he'll have a few bigger teams queueing to sign him up next season.

Agree with Chavanel's secon win.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Contador and Schleck on the Tourmalet. Just awesome!
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Impressed by Van den Broek (sp ?) being up at the front consistantly.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Ryder Hejsedal, definitely!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    In terms of expectations going into the race vs performances during the race, you can't look much further than the entire Bbox team. Had a great Tour.

But in terms of individual riders, Van den Broeck has been the most impressive.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    I'd say Schleck has been the best rider. If not for the mechanical, I think he'd be ahead by 45 seconds or so right now.

I'd say the most talent beyond his opponents is Cav. Look at the stages he lost: one was because of crashes and one was really a lack of confidence. Once he got confidence, he was absolutely unbeatable.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    yep VDB for me...
  • xover_runner
    xover_runner Posts: 228
    Few of the domestiques for me - Kiryenka, Horner and Navarro spring to mind.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    I thought schleck raised his game somewhat...

ryder, vdb and lotto in general Aeerts.. . Garmin keep stuffing unlikely riders into the top 10. 3 tours in a row now

BBOx great tour for them

horner could have finished a few places higher perhaps let of the hook earlier

best stage win is chavenal's 2nd for me too

cav getting his head together... good soap opera as was cadel's "no elbow tears in yellow"

disappointments

Roman...again... starting to remind me of Klodi

cofidis..just not there year I guess had a go.

sky.. could have done better with what they had is the vibe coming off them. cummings was not in good shape I suspect got ill early on? G was strong

milram... not disappointing just expected
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    andyrr wrote:
    Impressed by Van den Broek (sp ?) being up at the front consistantly.

Agreed, he did well.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Above expectation:
    Van den Broeck, BBox, Menchov, Hesjedal

Confirmation:
    Andy Schleck, Cavendish, Gesink

Below par:
    Sky, Basso, Cunego, Rogers, Tony Martin, Freire, (whispers) Contador

Could just as well not have turned up:
    Cofidis, Footon, Milram
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    FJS wrote:
    Above expectation:
    Van den Broeck, BBox, Menchov, Hesjedal

Confirmation:
    Andy Schleck, Cavendish, Gesink

Below par:
    Sky, Basso, Cunego, Rogers, Tony Martin, Freire, (whispers) Contador

Could just as well not have turned up:
    Cofidis, Footon, Milram

yeah contador never delivered that awesome hammer blow performance

or it may have just looked like that because andy was with him... they both buried everybody twice on two different mountain stages
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Tiralongo
    Voekler
    LL Sanchez

Tom Cruise.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    I think Footon did as well, if not better, as can be expected.

Valls especially is one to look out for, and Capecchi is still young
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    no question.. Chavanel for me
    cartoon.jpg
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Highs: Menchov, Hesjedahl, Chavenal., Kiryenka, Tommy , Charteau and BBox, Sandy. G Thomas. Roche. Rojas, Petacchi, Navarro and Tiralongi. Armstrong cracking :D:D . Slow slide down standings of Radioshack riders! Cobbled stage.

Lows: Sastre, LLSanchez, Cadel, Brachavich - he was so strong in Dauphine - what happened in 2 weeks to just be leading out a weak leader? Wegmann. Kreuziger. Really hoped there might have been more attacking on some of the mountain stages .
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Andy Schleck was a revelation today. His TT had me on the edge of my seat. His climbing seems to be second to none and he has come on a lot since last year. Chaingate may have cost him the Tour this year - and that is a big surprise.

Contador was his usual efficient self. But lacked the attacking style we've seen in the past.

Cav had a slow start and many people wrote him off early, only for him to roar back with a vengance. He has a giant rocket up his butt now and is unbeatable.

Chavanel was awesome to watch. The kind of riding the Tour 'should' be about.
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    Schleck , I've never really liked him but was impressed with him this year

Chavanal , He's French but I don't care

Cavendish , some Brits don't like him because he wins and shows his emotions , good and bad . We like good sporting losers far more :wink:
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I thought the best single ride was one that no-one has mentioned yet:

Christophe Riblon's stage win to Ax3
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Many of my first thoughts have already been mentioned - Schleck, Chavanel, Hesjedahl, Navarro, Aerts, Casar (presume that’s who MsTree means with Sandy), Rojas, Petacchi.

Amongst riders, I’d definitely add Barredo (fighter, in more sense than one). Also worth a good mention are Plaza Molina (best placed domestique), Pineau (for opening the KOM competition), Vino (for doing his bit), and Moreau (for not retiring quietly).

As for rides, I liked the hard-earned one-man victories of Vino and Voeckler, even if they weren’t so thrilling at the finish, like that of Casar.
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    Chris Anker Sorensen for making the mountain stages look hard. Nicolas Roche for being in the top both in the bunch sprints and the mountains. If the points jersey was given for consistency, it would go to Jose Joaquin Rojas. It was also good to see a matured, gestures free Cavendish.
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    My vote goes to Geraint Thomas.

He took around 2 minutes out of Contador in yesterday's TT and nearly 3 mnintues out of Schleck.

In addition he stands 3rd in the 'Young Riders' competition, ahead of Schleck who stands at 8th.

Finally, add in all his great work in support of Brad Wiggins and we have a good prospect for the future.
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    NervexProf wrote:
    My vote goes to Geraint Thomas.

He took around 2 minutes out of Contador in yesterday's TT and nearly 3 mnintues out of Schleck.

In addition he stands 3rd in the 'Young Riders' competition, ahead of Schleck who stands at 8th.

Finally, add in all his great work in support of Brad Wiggins and we have a good prospect for the future.

You mean Thomas and Schleck were 3rd and 8th respectively in the TT young rider classification. Schleck obviously leads the young rider GC.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    VDB for justifying my PTP faith in him and winning me some real cash

Chavanel snd Thor for showing Classics and stages can be equally thrilling

Riblon clearly

Andy for making 2011 far from a certainty irrespective of the route

Lance for showing some dignity

BBoxfor showing Cofidis and FDJ how it should be done

Geraint forbeing 1st on Taff GC

Strava is not Zen.
  • The best rider cannot seriously be in dispute...Vinokourov!

What a monster. He did everything he could and more.

Chavanel gets an honoury mention.

Nobody else was mind blowing for me, I don't think the best rider can be a defensive rider like most of the top 10. The best rider should be able to chew legs off of his competition.

I would like to add Schleck but I think his tactics were shit. :lol:
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • rick_chasey
    Surprised to see so many surprised at van den Broeck's performance.

I figured top 5 for him was expected?

Certainly was with me, given the massive emphasis on climbing this year.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730

Finished 7th in the giro 2008 behind Ricco, Sella and Pellizotti who were later banned. This made him best young rider. Last year's performance was spoilt by a fall at the start of the team time trial as the team didnt wait and he lost a lot of time. After that he concentrated on breakaways. Did well at the Dauphine. Am regretting not putting money on him when he was 18-1 to finish in the top 6 :shock:
  • rick_chasey

Finished 7th in the giro 2008 behind Ricco, Sella and Pellizotti who were later banned. This made him best young rider. Last year's performance was spoilt by a fall at the start of the team time trial as the team didnt wait and he lost a lot of time. After that he concentrated on breakaways. Did well at the Dauphine. Am regretting not putting money on him when he was 18-1 to finish in the top 6 :shock:

Unusually for a Belgian, he can't ride the peleton for sh!t. He says he prefers the climbs because nature sorts him out near the front...
    :roll:
    Gesink says things similar.
  • rick_chasey

I would like to add Schleck but I think his tactics were shoot. :lol:

Have to disagree here...