[vexed]Sky+ Eurosport AAAH!![/vexed]

secretsqirrel
secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Be Warned!

Recorded the live HD coverage on Sky+ yesterday (same as the rest of the Tour, no probs). Imagine my dismay when I hit the button to view, and the message appeared explaining that I am not able to purchase the programme!!!!!

I called Sky and they explained that I can only watch live, as SKY does not have the copywright for Eurosport.

Watched the highlights in fuzzy vision. :evil:

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    It wasn't just me then, bloomin typical! I had to watch itv4+1 fuzzyvission and phil & paul!

I entered the competition, if i win I'll fill a tiny bit better but not much.

At least we didn't miss much, I don't think mist looks much better in HD.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Aaaargh me too :evil: Same message

Sat down at 9 o'clock, kids in bed, Mrs watching something upstairs, beer and snacks in hand, then that happens!

That's a load of tosh from Sky, I've recorded then watched the whole of Eurosports HD coverage for the last 2 weeks without any problems at all. And to top it all off the scheduled highlights on HD didn't happen, just boxing and Under 19's football :x

I finally caught it on blurry vision
    Wind. Cold. Rain. Pick two.
  • I had a differnet problem - sky+ed the standard footage yesterday but it never finished - it was still recording a 9 when I got home and had wiped half the older stuf I had recorded :(
  • J.e.r.u
    J.e.r.u Posts: 5
    Ditto, no HD for me yesterday.

Mad as a lorry last night.......I can't believe they didn't bother telling anyone

Am currently reviewing whether the whole Sky/Eurosport expence is worth it.

Numerous times the recorded coverage misses the actual programe and there seems to be plently of places to watch most races online
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    Can't believe this. Still in France and recorded this stage as I did the Etape.

Going to be gutted not to watch it at home
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Worked OK with Virgin

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I just don't get the HD love affair. Either you all have 60" plus TVs, or you had rubbish standard picture quality for other reasons.

I think an old American president once said HD is fooling all the HD people all of the time
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    dougzz wrote:
    I just don't get the HD love affair. Either you all have 60" plus TVs, or you had rubbish standard picture quality for other reasons.

You really need to see the Tour in HD.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Same here, thought it was my Sky Box.

I'm sure I've watched other stages that way this year though.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    dougzz wrote:

I think an old American president once said HD is fooling all the HD people all of the time
    Ha - you can easily see the difference in resolution between the old iPhones and the new iPhone and they have tiny screens!

I don't have HDTV but I certainly want it!

A few years back I was waiting for a lift in Milton Keynes and decided to kill time having a look around the shops. I was walking past Currys when I saw a large widescreen TV just in from the doorway displaying the kind of mountain scenery that the helicopters have been recording in the TdF this year.

It wasn't a subtle difference from normal picture quality - it stopped me in my tracks and I spent 10 minutes staring at the thing in amazement.

I wasn't somehow imagining this because I'd been told it was in HD - I'd never heard of HD at that time - I could just see immediately that it was the best picture quality I'd ever seen. Anybody who can't tell the difference should get their eyes tested!

You may not care about the difference in picture quality, but that's a different thing. I know people who are perfectly happy to watch widescreen movies panned and scanned onto 14 inch 4:3 portable TVs but that doesn't mean that they are seeing the best possible picture.

It's the same with people listening to MP3s or AM radio - the sound quality is poor but a lot of people put up with it, some don't even care.
  • secretsqirrel

I've had the stages recorded in HD using the series link. No problems until yesterday. Annoyingly if you go to http://tv.sky.com/live-tour-de-france, you can set to remote record. A bit pointless if you can only view it live!

The scheduling is usually pretty reliable for the Tour, but not to be trusted for other races (e.g. Giro). It is betther to set up a daily manual recording to overlap the published time at both ends,as often the slot is too short, and just occasionally the coverage starts early.

p.s. HD is what Road Racing has been waiting for, I hope this copywright thing is resolved soon. :cry:
  • disgruntledgoat

I've had the stages recorded in HD using the series link. No problems until yesterday. Annoyingly if you go to http://tv.sky.com/live-tour-de-france, you can set to remote record. A bit pointless if you can only view it live!

So why yesterday? It's making my brain all hurty!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • prawny

I've watched every stage recorded from ES HD until yesterday. I'll see what happens today. bit of a ball ache if you can't record it though, what if you recorded it to a DVD-R how would they stop you doing that.

Sky make things way mpre complicated than they need to be, marginal gains eh! :roll:
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Interesting Sky's response being you could only watch it "LIVE" (I haven't had to before). I nipped home for lunch yesterday and watched the first hour which was at least an hour behind the actual "LIVE" coverage, whilst it was still recording "LIVE", or so I thought :x

Are Sky trying to claim the stage wasn't able to be recorded due to copy protection or something?

It would have been nice to have been told, not for the whole stage to be sat tantalisingly on the planner but not able to be viewed.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I had a differnet problem - sky+ed the standard footage yesterday but it never finished - it was still recording a 9 when I got home and had wiped half the older stuf I had recorded :(

Me too, caught it at about 7pm though!
  • thegibdog wrote:
    I had a differnet problem - sky+ed the standard footage yesterday but it never finished - it was still recording a 9 when I got home and had wiped half the older stuf I had recorded :(

Me too, caught it at about 7pm though!

fortunatley or unfortunately it was all things the missus had recorded that were lost....ooops
  • magoo289
    magoo289 Posts: 223
    I assume you all don't have an HD box, cause it worked for me :lol: Watched the full stage when I got home from work, although did have a panic when the channel name was all gooledegook :?
  • No, it's a Sky HD box for me.

Hmmmm the channel name is blank on my planner. Damn it, if it had only been gobbledegook I'd have been OK :lol:

I blame Alberto "Voodoo" Contador, he's managed to dispose of his opponents through various pile-ups, falls, bone breakages and mechanicals and now he's buggered about with my Sky+ box.
  • prawny
    Yep Sky+ HD box for me too. Stupid sky :x
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    I didnt record yesterday but have been fine recordin the HD Eurosport for the last 2 weeks as well. Have had several occasions when it cut off with 2-4km to go though and said 'end of programme' :evil: :evil:

I've heard numerous people moan about the reliability of Eurosport HD channel timings etc and have found it all to be perfectly true. Its a totally crap channel for some reason...
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • disgruntledgoat
    prawny wrote:
    Yep Sky+ HD box for me too. Stupid sky :x

Same here! Booooooooo!

Anybody tried it today?

@gietvangent
  • Gingerflash
    Gingerflash Posts: 239
    "I called Sky and they explained that I can only watch live, as SKY does not have the copywright for Eurosport."

I was told it was a technical fault, only affecting that one channel. nothing to do with copyright. as others have, I have recorded all the other stages without any problem. It was just a technical glitch.

BTW - HD - I bought an HD telly and for months wasn't impressed at all. Thought it was the emporers new clothes. The I discovered a button I hadn't pressed on the telly and - "bing" - glorious HD. It is absolutely fantastic, especially the panaramic helicopter shots.
  • copper585
    copper585 Posts: 141
    just watched my hd recording this morning no problems with sky hd at all ever so was suprised to see this thread, also re endings been cut off it hasnt happened with the tour however whenver recording off eurosport i always record the following programme just in case things over run.
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Mine worked fine :roll: Have just tried a trail on todays coverage and still working fine.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • Slimbods
    Slimbods Posts: 321
    dougzz wrote:

Utter rubbish, particularly when switching between SD ITV4 and HD eurosport, the difference is very obvious.

My eurosport HD recording was also broke yesterday, but seems ok today, so they must have fixed it overnight.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    I havn't got it.
    the guvnor won't let me have a pub tv in the lounge so bugger off to the pub then. (but but they don't show cycling)

The best introduction to HD was 4 years ago in the snow at the Seattle football stadium. Fantastic.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Harmon has just said he has no idea why there was a block last night.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Slimbods wrote:
    dougzz wrote:

Utter rubbish, particularly when switching between SD ITV4 and HD eurosport, the difference is very obvious.

My eurosport HD recording was also broke yesterday, but seems ok today, so they must have fixed it overnight.

Had a relative over at the weekend, watching the tour in HD. He said, "I don't get this HD nonsence, the picture doesn't look any different."

My reply was "really, exhibit (switch to standard), exhibit B (switch to HD)".

To which he went "oh yeah, blimey that is good" :roll: :lol:

I watch live in HD, but record in standard as I don't have enough room on my virgin box to record HD (7 hours coverage HD would probably take 28hrs of space for standard).
  • secretsqirrel
    That's what you get a terabyte for :wink:
  • Jeru
    Jeru Posts: 6
    Yep, mine apparently okay today,

Some lame, half @rse explanantion from Carlton Kirby in todays coverage about technical issues, but frankly that sounded like complete bo11ocks

They always manage to broadcast something when the weather is bad, and anyway, it looks like the sky box recorded the programe, but the issue was being able to view it

Not happy and not satisified with the explanaitons given so far.

More detailed explanation required Sky / Eurosport