Robert Millar speaks to Cycling News!

donrhummy
donrhummy Posts: 2,329
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Wow, they actually got Robert Millar to speak with them about the TDF!

(One thing I'm confused about is that they refer to him as Robert Millar, but I thought he'd had a sex change, no?)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/cn- ... d-team-sky

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Why not PM him and ask :roll:
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    The estimable Sir Robert Millar also emailed Eurosport last year with his thoughts on lots of the climbs. Very enlightening as you might have expected from such a great rider.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Seems to be a bit of a legend.

I'm too young to have fond memories on him like plenty of people here do.
  • zippypablo
    zippypablo Posts: 398
    donrhummy wrote:

(One thing I'm confused about is that they refer to him as Robert Millar, but I thought he'd had a sex change, no?)

Not the sex change rumour again. Thought this had died a death a long time ago. He posts on this forum now and then.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    donrhummy wrote:

He has had the sex change, Bruce Lee died from doing too many sit ups and Elvis does actually work in the chippy near my house.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    "He won his third stage, from Cauterets to Supertankers, in 1989, while riding for the Z team."

Genius. iPhone autocorrect error?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • rick_chasey
    Doesn't Millar make an appearence on the Big Ring Riding blog?

With his Shamals?

Yes.
  • brakelever
    brakelever Posts: 158
    forums will be a thing of the past before we see a climber of mr millars class again from this country .
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    brakelever wrote:
    forums will be a thing of the past before we see a climber of mr millars class again from this country .
    Hold on steady there, I have the greatest respect for Robert but he rode in a style that Virenque used in later years.

ie, He won stages when he allowed his GC position to fall and the contenders would have no worries about him to chase.
    He could however always outclimb Delgado who won a TDF along with Roche when the big climbers were missing.
    Robert should also have taken his chance because he could outclimb both of them but prefered to stay a domestic.
    The return of Lemond and Fignon changed the mountain climbing class.
    Robert should have won a Vuelta but the spanish ganged up on him to allow their man Delgado to win.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Gavin Cook
    Gavin Cook Posts: 307
    Miller was up there with the best climbers of the 80's but Lucho Herrera was a much better climber.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    deejay wrote:
    brakelever wrote:
    Hold on steady there, I have the greatest respect for Robert but he rode in a style that Virenque used in later years.

ie, He won stages when he allowed his GC position to fall and the contenders would have no worries about him to chase.
    He could however always outclimb Delgado who won a TDF along with Roche when the big climbers were missing.
    Robert should also have taken his chance because he could outclimb both of them but prefered to stay a domestic.
    Robert should have won a Vuelta but the spanish ganged up on him to allow their man Delgado to win.

Debateable and possibly all true but the original statement still holds true :(
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    brakelever wrote:
    + - absolutely!!
  • ultimobici
    ultimobici Posts: 44
    deejay wrote:

I think you might need to check Mr Teeshirt's palmares before comparing him to Tricky Dickie.
    1983 1 Stage & 14th Overall
    1984 1 Stage, KOM & 4th Overall
    1985 11th Overall
    1986 Abandoned Ill but was on to win 2nd KOM
    1987 19th Overall
    1988 Abandoned
    1989 1 Stage & 10th
    1990 Abandoned
    1991 72nd
    1992 18th
    1993 24th

Virenque may have 7 KOM titles, but one has to put a dirty great big asterisk after every one of them in light of Festina and the lack of EPO testing.

To compare Millar or any other true climber to Virenque is disingenuous. Both Bahamontes & Van Impe were quite disparaging of his "talents"
    Bahamontes's opinion
    "It's a shame that Virenque has become the best climber in history. He is a great rider, but not a complete rider.
    He should go for the general classification, but he's 20 or 30 minutes behind the leaders.[n 14] That's why they let him go.
    I can only speak for myself, the best climbers were Charly Gaul and van Impe"
    Van Impe's opinion in 2002
    "There's no doubt that Richard is a great rider but he's only the best climber in this Tour on paper. The best climber really is Lance Armstrong. He [Virenque] takes points everywhere, especially on the middling climbs. Me, I focussed on the big cols. I was proud of my record. I shared it with my idol, Federico Bahamontes."
  • Pross
    Great to see that mutual respect between Bahamontes and van Impe.

I can't see us producing a climber of Millar's quality for a good few years mainly because it isn't something you can be coached to become, you are either born with the natural characteristics or not. Obviously you then have to work very hard to make the most of the natural talent but training on its own can never make up for it. People are getting bigger in general, we aren't a nation with big mountains. I can see the next generation of climbers coming from areas of China and possibly even further down the line India much as the South American climbers of the 80's.
  • rick_chasey
    Pross wrote:
    Great to see that mutual respect between Bahamontes and van Impe.

I can't see us producing a climber of Millar's quality for a good few years mainly because it isn't something you can be coached to become, you are either born with the natural characteristics or not. Obviously you then have to work very hard to make the most of the natural talent but training on its own can never make up for it. People are getting bigger in general, we aren't a nation with big mountains. I can see the next generation of climbers coming from areas of China and possibly even further down the line India much as the South American climbers of the 80's.

Dutch are the tallest nation in the world, and have been for sometime. Doesn't stop them producing excellent climbers.
  • Pross
    Yeah but that will be all those huge mounatins they have to ride over on a daily basis :lol:

Thanks for shooting my theory down in flames :cry::wink:
  • petejuk
    petejuk Posts: 235
    The Dutch have strong winds everywhere. Its like riding uphill.
  • rick_chasey
    petejuk wrote:
    The Dutch have strong winds everywhere. Its like riding uphill.

I blame the dairy full diet...
  • Robert is a true Scottish legend. To my mind there have only ever been 3 true geniouses in Scottish sport. By that I mean athletes who have been so determined and self motivated that success was innevitable on the world stage. Robert Millar is one the other two are Graeme Obree and finally Liz McColgan. All of these athletes have succeeded where other Scots have merely taken part. They all came from difficult backgrounds and dragged themselves to the top by whatever means it took. I do not look upon Robert as a Brit as I hate that phrase and it's connotations. He was a Scot and that is why he succeeded. There is a determination within Scottish sportsmen and women that I don't think is found anywhere else in the UK. It may be to do with having a chip on both shoulders but it is part of our psyche. As far as Boardman ,Simpson and even Mark Cavendish are concerned they couldn't lace Robert's boots. :evil: [/quote]
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Scottish Heroes?!

You forgot these:

The Krankies, The Big Yin, Franky Boyle, Fat Bastard, Sean Connery and those 2 that used to be on TV every Hogmany..
    Moira something and Jimmy somethingelse. ( Around the late 60's/early 70's...)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited July 2010
    Scotland04 wrote:
    Robert is a true Scottish legend. To my mind there have only ever been 3 true geniouses in Scottish sport. By that I mean athletes who have been so determined and self motivated that success was innevitable on the world stage. Robert Millar is one the other two are Graeme Obree and finally Liz McColgan. All of these athletes have succeeded where other Scots have merely taken part. They all came from difficult backgrounds and dragged themselves to the top by whatever means it took. I do not look upon Robert as a Brit as I hate that phrase and it's connotations. He was a Scot and that is why he succeeded. There is a determination within Scottish sportsmen and women that I don't think is found anywhere else in the UK. It may be to do with having a chip on both shoulders but it is part of our psyche. As far as Boardman ,Simpson and even Mark Cavendish are concerned they couldn't lace Robert's boots. :evil:

I think you're leaving out a few Scotsmen there - Jim Clark, Jackie Stewart, Kenny Dalglish and Chris Hoy to name just four.

However, your idea that Boardman, Simpson and Cavendish aren't fit to lace his Millar's boots is arch ignorance. Boardman broke the same hour record Obree did (just not in such a maverick way) and more besides (but he can't compare with Millar), Simpson won three of the monuments and the worlds (who was the last rider to do that?) and Cavendish has just equalled the post-war record of most Tour stage wins by young (i.e. white jersey eligible) rider - equal with none other than Eddy Merckx.

Don't get me wrong though - Robert Millar was The Man when I first followed cycling.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    That's quite an understatement.

He is considered Britain's best ever cyclist, though ignored by the cycling establishment after his retirement from pro racing (and probably before then too).

You could find a copy of The High Life from 1985, recently been released on DVD (I've just been lent a VHS copy, there are some clips on Youtube). If you want to know more about his career then Richard Moore's book is worth reading, and there's more info on a fan site at http://www.robertmillar.net/

His analysis of riders, races etc is fascinating and always worth reading. I'm sure his article for Rouleur 13 is one of the reasons it sold out so quickly.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Scotland04 wrote:
    I do not look upon Robert as a Brit as I hate that phrase and it's connotations.

I really don't get this. What connotations?
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Simon E wrote:

He is considered Britain's best ever cyclist, though ignored by the cycling establishment after his retirement from pro racing (and probably before then too).

Been a while since we've had the argument on here - but leaving aside track riders and women (Beryl Burton and Nicole Cooke might have something to say) what about Tom Simpson and Cavendish ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,713
    Simon E wrote:

Been a while since we've had the argument on here - but leaving aside track riders and women (Beryl Burton and Nicole Cooke might have something to say) what about Tom Simpson and Cavendish ?
    I'd put Simpson and Millar roughly equal, because thy weren't really the same type of rider, so can't be directly compared. Simpson's probably the best one day racer we've ever had, Millar's easily the best grand tour rider, in terms of general classification chances. Cav will never have a general classification win, but I think there's a chance of him taking Tom Simpson's status as the best British one day racer.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Scotland04 wrote:
    Robert is a true Scottish legend. To my mind there have only ever been 3 true geniouses in Scottish sport. By that I mean athletes who have been so determined and self motivated that success was innevitable on the world stage. Robert Millar is one the other two are Graeme Obree and finally Liz McColgan. All of these athletes have succeeded where other Scots have merely taken part. They all came from difficult backgrounds and dragged themselves to the top by whatever means it took. I do not look upon Robert as a Brit as I hate that phrase and it's connotations. He was a Scot and that is why he succeeded. There is a determination within Scottish sportsmen and women that I don't think is found anywhere else in the UK. It may be to do with having a chip on both shoulders but it is part of our psyche. As far as Boardman ,Simpson and even Mark Cavendish are concerned they couldn't lace Robert's boots. :evil:
    [/quote]

As a Scotsman myself i am proud of Roberts achievments and regard him rightly as one of our greatest ever cyclists but i think saying he succeded because he was Scottish is stretching it a bit. He suceeded becuase of determination and grit and talent which didnt happen purely because he was born on the right side of Hadrians wall.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Gies a swedger at yer wee pal, no ?

Just 'cos the wee stoater, Rabbie McMillar, braw climber that he wis, is Scoattish disnae matter, by the way. If yer boarn a bam, ye stay a bam, ken whit I mean, pal ?

I'm Scottish and hate the misguided sanctimonious comment scots make that make them look and sound daft, yes Scotland04, I'm talking to you. :roll:
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Been a while since we've had the argument on here
    Sorry, but you won't find one over here. I can cope with a difference of opinion even if you can't :wink:
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Splottboy wrote:
    Scottish Heroes?!

You forgot these:

The Krankies, The Big Yin, Franky Boyle, Fat Bastard, Sean Connery and those 2 that used to be on TV every Hogmany..
    Moira something and Jimmy somethingelse. ( Around the late 60's/early 70's...)

Jimmy Logan and Moira Anderson damaged my ears on many a hogmany when i was a kid.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Simon E wrote:
    Been a while since we've had the argument on here
    Sorry, but you won't find one over here. I can cope with a difference of opinion even if you can't :wink:

Wtf ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.